The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

A small mystery in Orcrest

VindictiveRidge
VindictiveRidge
✭✭✭
I was running through Orcrest, as I've done on several characters before, but this time, when I picked up the fragment of the Rithana-di-Renada, what Rahjin's Shadow said stuck in my brain.

"Ah, Orcrest! Kingdom of rogues and thieves. Never did Rajhin feel so welcome within a city's walls. Such a shame that sniveling runt got his claws into it, no?"

I started to wonder who the Shadow was referring to. What "sniveling runt" is he talking about, and what did said sniveling runt do to Orcrest? Sadly, despite some pretty intense searching, I couldn't find anything that pointed me to an answer. Does anyone know more about the history of Orcrest than UESP might provide?
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume the sniveling runt in question is Peryite. Orcrest is a public dungeon in ESO and is overflowing with Peryite worshippers who are intent on spreading plague.

I can see Rahjin insulting him easily, as Peryite is commonly depicted as the weakest of the Daedric Princes .

He could also be referring to the leader of the Peryite cult in the area, Filbert Cienne.
    Edited by TybaltKaine on July 27, 2023 1:40PM
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • VindictiveRidge
    VindictiveRidge
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, you could have a point there! I hadn't thought of Peryite--I thought that Rahjin was talking about a mortal ruler!
  • OgrimTitan
    OgrimTitan
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Rahjin insulting him easily, as Peryite is commonly depicted as the weakest of the Daedric Princes .
    We really should stop mindlessly repeat 1 phrase from a loading screen. Peryite is NOT commonly depicted as the weakest of the Princes. If anything, the aforementioned loading screen says "considered one of". And as of how they are depicted commonly doesn't sit well with what weakness is. Example is right here, with the most recent chapter. Among other good ones.
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is the lord of disease and pestilence, and is seen as physically weak, thus his reliance on disease and pestilence as vectors to win.

He is also commonly depicted as one of the more destructive princes. These two things can exist at once.

His realm is the lowest of all the princes, and he is generally considered the least powerful because of it.

I didn't write the loading screen, get over it.
    Edited by TybaltKaine on August 2, 2023 2:45PM
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • OgrimTitan
    OgrimTitan
    ✭✭✭
    He is the lord of disease and pestilence, and is seen as physically weak, thus his reliance on disease and pestilence as vectors to win.

He is also commonly depicted as one of the more destructive princes. These two things can exist at once.

His realm is the lowest of all the princes, and he is generally considered the least powerful because of it.

I didn't write the loading screen, get over it.
    This is what aforementioned screen says: Peryite is the daedric prince of tasks, order and pestilence. He is considered one of the weakest of the princes, despite being depicted as a dragon.

Seen as physically weak - what does that even mean? That he passes arm-wrestling contests in Princes Bar?

He is also commonly depicted as one of the more destructive princes. - by whom? Again, it's a mindless copypaste from On Oblivion book. An opinion of in-universe person, that could be true or not. In-universe history, however, shows Molag Bal, Mehrunes Dagon or even Nocrurnal way more destructive than Peryite, who always shown (so far) to be quite adequate and pragmatic.

His realm is the lowest of all the princes, and he is generally considered the least powerful because of it - again, by whom? Who actually made a connection between lowest orders = weakness? Not a single implication in the lore exists on this idea. If anything, it was explained Peryite controls the flow of chaos atoms, that all Oblivion and it's inhabitants consist of. Pretty important if you ask me, and again, no implication or hint on weakness given.

I await your sources. So far it's all wild conjecture (at very least).
    Edited by OgrimTitan on August 3, 2023 6:22AM