Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Corrosive Armor. The toxic elephant in the room.

MindOfTheSwarm
MindOfTheSwarm
✭✭✭✭✭
Let’s face it. How many posts have complained about this completely broken skill. Time to poll this and find out definitively what the community feels.

Would not take a lot to rework. Perhaps boost the damage of the ultimate but only allow the penetration buff to apply to the ultimate itself.
Alternatively it could boost applied Poison DoT’s by a percentage giving it a poison dk build roll.

But alas, there are a few players out there who think it is fine. So let’s vote on it.

Corrosive Armor. The toxic elephant in the room. 70 votes

Yes. Get it reworked.
72%
LordTareqUNSekiAdernatholsborgmmtaniacw002expValarMorghulis1896binhoAnti_VirusReactmethod__01TwohothardwaretechprinceChilly-McFreezeBenTSGVixxVexxNoszetArtim_XWoppaBoemStarOfElyon 51 votes
No. It’s perfectly fine.
27%
seanaseb17_ESOOrchishI_killed_VivecDojohodafred4Wikter_BravoWelanduzpuertonikoNord_RaserihaelgaanMachineGodIriidiusJanniSir_HammockMelzoSlyReynardPISTOLETVKREDITChubaNinjaerdYrrson 19 votes
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    Totally a yes from me. Tired of encountering players who run Corrosive alongside Dark Convergence and Plaguebreak. Or Cleave bombers with Vicious Death.
    Options
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that would depend on if a good idea existed for the rework and if what was considered to be wrong with it was clearly defined and dealt with across the board.

Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    I agree it should be reworked, but not in the way you're suggesting.

I think the biggest issue with corrosive is that it is an extremely strong offensive ult with an equally strong defensive portion.

Remove the defensive portion entirely, and signifcantly increase the damage of the PBAOE corrosive dot. Like +30% or something like that. The skill still gives you 100k pen on all direct damage like it does on live.

The other morph is already a defensive ult, so I think this separation would much better define the roles of the two morphs.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    React wrote: »

I think the biggest issue with corrosive is that it is an extremely strong offensive ult with an equally strong defensive portion.

Remove the defensive portion entirely, and signifcantly increase the damage of the PBAOE corrosive dot. Like +30% or something like that. The skill still gives you 100k pen on all direct damage like it does on live.

Pretty spot on when it comes to how this should be addressed, there should be one morph for penetration, and one for mitigation.

If the mitigation was removed from Corrosive, I would be in favor of giving the Penetration to all of their moves, including their Damage over Time, instead of specifically Direct Damage.
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »

Remove the defensive portion entirely, and significantly increase the damage of the PBAOE corrosive dot. Like +30% or something like that. The skill still gives you 100k pen on all direct damage like it does on live.

Pretty spot on when it comes to how this should be addressed, there should be one morph for penetration, and one for mitigation.

If the mitigation was removed from Corrosive, I would be in favor of giving the Penetration to all of their moves, including their Damage over Time, instead of specifically Direct Damage.

I'd be hesitant to apply the penetration to dot damage. I'm not sure if you played back when s&b frontbar, seventh fury, dot stamdk w/corrosive backbar and s&b ult frontbar was meta, but it was completely absurd. They would dot you up, pop corrosive, and you would immediately be unable to outheal the dot pressure alone, before they started spamming LA->deep slash -> bash on you. It was quite literally unbeatable in most scenarios.

With how much more free damage & dot pressure there is from status effects, proc sets, and from increased ability access via hybridization, I think that if then pen also affected dots it would be just as absurd as it is on live.

@ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »

Remove the defensive portion entirely, and significantly increase the damage of the PBAOE corrosive dot. Like +30% or something like that. The skill still gives you 100k pen on all direct damage like it does on live.

I'd be hesitant to apply the penetration to dot damage. I'm not sure if you played back when s&b frontbar, seventh fury, dot stamdk w/corrosive backbar and s&b ult frontbar was meta, but it was completely absurd. They would dot you up, pop corrosive, and you would immediately be unable to outheal the dot pressure alone, before they started spamming LA->deep slash -> bash on you. It was quite literally unbeatable in most scenarios.

With how much more free damage & dot pressure there is from status effects, proc sets, and from increased ability access via hybridization, I think that if then pen also affected dots it would be just as absurd as it is on live.

One way that could be offset, is have the pen apply to newly cast Damage over Time, as most of Dragonknight’s DoTs are melee ranged, this would encourage ranged builds on a class that struggles to incentivize them. Their only other alternative is Standard for the 15% damage and mitigation. I’m sure there would be a better balance they could meet, but if they only increased the Corrosive Armor DoT while taking away all of that mitigation, Dragonknight mains would flip tables.

In regards to the seventh legion/fury meta, no I had a few years of down time, from right before Clockwork City all the way to Waking Flames so I did have the luck of missing that.
    Options
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    I think React is really on point here.

I do think the suggestion to only give 100% penetration to newly applied DoTs (after corrosive got activated,) is a good compromising response, but ultimately I don't think the DKs will like that either.

I'm not sure we need DK mains to like it. I'm not sure there's a class out there whose playerbase is welcoming of nerfs. But they must happen sometimes anyway.

And let's not forget they still have a very powerful ultimate in D-Leap. They'll need to adjust their skills slightly, build for penetration a bit more and therefore lose healing power... It's honestly just what the doctor ordered.

And I'm not saying I want Corrosive nerfed to the point of being useless but if D-Leap just edges it out that isn't a bad thing. Players will figure out what's best and run it. Something has to be best, mathematically. It'd be super helpful right now if that wasn't Corrosive -shrug-
    Options
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. It’s perfectly fine.
    Totally a yes from me. Tired of encountering players who run Corrosive alongside Dark Convergence and Plaguebreak. Or Cleave bombers with Vicious Death.

Why should skills suffer because of broken sets?

Due to the introduction of such sets, it turned into some kind of pvp crap. Templar's toothpick was broken. The sorcerer in the specialization of mana is very bad. Due to complaints about the necromancer, this class is now completely dead. I don't see the point in nerfing everything. Why not make the game better and not add something to other classes and nerf sets.

Nerf the game. Just removing it.
    Options
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    Melzo wrote: »

Why should skills suffer because of broken sets?

Due to the introduction of such sets, it turned into some kind of pvp crap. Templar's toothpick was broken. The sorcerer in the specialization of mana is very bad. Due to complaints about the necromancer, this class is now completely dead. I don't see the point in nerfing everything. Why not make the game better and not add something to other classes and nerf sets.

Nerf the game. Just removing it.

Because Corrosive isn’t just op in this situation. Yes, my example is abusing the synergy but the ultimate is just crazy strong on its own. You could remove the damage mitigation and then you could at least kill them before they melt you, but this is only half of the problem.

The biggest issue is that it ignores all armor, nothing else in the game apart from Onslaught can hold this title. It’s very easy to max out your weapon damage, slap on a band of brutality and then spam whip with this Ult to pretty much kill anyone who isn’t the tankiest of builds. Yes, very high healing and a well timed stun can help but in a team situation this won’t save you. Dragon Leap is also arguably broken due to its “stun before your actually stunned” mechanic. But it’s no where near the level that Corrosive can be abused whether you’re wearing crutch sets or not.
    Options
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    How about this for an alternative:

Every time this skill deals damage it reduces the armor of affected targets by 25% for 5 seconds. It also reduces their damage done by 10% for 5 seconds. These effects can stack up to 5 times and stacks reset existing stack durations.

This way it’s not a 100-0 immediately but a gradual reduction in their armor and damage done. Would fit with the flavor of the skill as it corrodes their armor and weapons over time.

It would also require consistent melee range pressure from the DK, making it a little bit easier to get away from and less of an “I win button” and more of pressure tool. You could even buff the damage the ultimate itself did vs monsters for PvE usage.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No. It’s perfectly fine.
    Let’s face it. How many posts have complained about this completely broken skill.
    IMO it was only broken with Oakensoul upon that mythic's release. Other than that - and I assume you're talking about PvP - it mainly catches out new players. Experienced ones know to stay away, and bombing, in all it's forms, has always been situational to my knowledge. Brawler bombing is not something you should regularly be caught by, or you're basically new to PvP.
    Would not take a lot to rework. Perhaps boost the damage of the ultimate but only allow the penetration buff to apply to the ultimate itself.
    By how much? As it stands there is no significant damage from the ult. I'd hate for it to be changed to just another damage ult, albeit with the incoming damage cap. I like the uniqueness of it.
    Alternatively it could boost applied Poison DoT’s by a percentage giving it a poison dk build roll.
    Well, ZOS chose the other route. It only applies to direct damage. This ult was actually more powerful in the past, did you know that? It buffed DOTs. Strong DOTs are quite oppressive right now, e.g. with Mara nerfed and ever since their duration was extended to 20s really. That's why people use Master DW. Corrosive was deliberately changed so a DK can't pop it while you're dotted up and miles away. Basically, if you made this change, you could very easily shoot yourself in the foot. Careful what you wish for.
    But alas, there are a few players out there who think it is fine. So let’s vote on it.
    DK as a whole has been OP in PvP, I'm aware of that. At the same time I haven't seen (or looked for to be fair) a discussion of why recent patches have advantaged it so much. I hate people leading with the conclusion of "oh, it must be Corrosive" (or something else) when in reality it is a multitude of factors, ranging from hybridisation to DOT changes to questionable whip, chain pull (and talon?) buffs or changes. Even the fact that Shattering Rocks now delivers damage at the end, rather than the beginning of the stun contributes to DK burst potential. Fossilize was the preferred morph in the past. Nowadays every DK takes advantage of the Shattering Rocks heal. There have been too many changes where ZOS has looked at the attractiveness of a single skill or morph without looking at how gradually OP the buffs have made DK in PvP, but it's not any one thing that has got us here. A reason I've personally leaned towards Corrosive has also been the historical brokenness of Leap in IC.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    fred4 wrote: »
    Let’s face it. How many posts have complained about this completely broken skill.
    IMO it was only broken with Oakensoul upon that mythic's release. Other than that - and I assume you're talking about PvP - it mainly catches out new players. Experienced ones know to stay away, and bombing, in all it's forms, has always been situational to my knowledge. Brawler bombing is not something you should regularly be caught by, or you're basically new to PvP.
    By how much? As it stands there is no significant damage from the ult. I'd hate for it to be changed to just another damage ult, albeit with the incoming damage cap. I like the uniqueness of it.
    Well, ZOS chose the other route. It only applies to direct damage. This ult was actually more powerful in the past, did you know that? It buffed DOTs. Strong DOTs are quite oppressive right now, e.g. with Mara nerfed and ever since their duration was extended to 20s really. That's why people use Master DW. Corrosive was deliberately changed so a DK can't pop it while you're dotted up and miles away. Basically, if you made this change, you could very easily shoot yourself in the foot. Careful what you wish for.
    DK as a whole has been OP in PvP, I'm aware of that. At the same time I haven't seen (or looked for to be fair) a discussion of why recent patches have advantaged it so much. I hate people leading with the conclusion of "oh, it must be Corrosive" (or something else) when in reality it is a multitude of factors, ranging from hybridisation to DOT changes to questionable whip, chain pull (and talon?) buffs or changes. Even the fact that Shattering Rocks now delivers damage at the end, rather than the beginning of the stun contributes to DK burst potential. Fossilize was the preferred morph in the past. Nowadays every DK takes advantage of the Shattering Rocks heal. There have been too many changes where ZOS has looked at the attractiveness of a single skill or morph without looking at how gradually OP the buffs have made DK in PvP, but it's not any one thing that has got us here. A reason I've personally leaned towards Corrosive has also been the historical brokenness of Leap in IC.

No disrespect Fred but I think the path from DK mediocrity to DK supremacy is pretty well known. You're not wrong to associate it with Oakensoul but it wasn't only Oakensoul. It was a lot of things that happened around the same time as Oakensoul.

There was the change to the combustion passive, which coincided with the buff to the charged trait, and also kinda coincided with the prevalence of certain status effect debuff and DoT skills. Which kinda led to them having free sustain. Ash Cloud deserves mentioning here too even though it was fixed. And original Oakensoul, as you said, which was broken with the major heroism. But even after that got fixed I think DK eyes were opened to the fact that you could have high uptime on even very expensive ultimates.

Which isn't problematic alone, the ulti thing, because DKs have always played this way. But you combine it with everything else and that's a lot of free sustain. And in the case of Corrosive it's also a lot of free defense and free damage. Well not free, but you know.

Also DKs didn't used to be so good at direct damage. Somewhere before or during all of this molten whip became strong and gave weapon damage. FoO gained major savagery.

And in the end you've got a class that doesn't need to worry about defense (they have blocking passives to help them get through the in-between times,) doesn't need to worry about sustain, and can focus their offense into one stat-- weapon damage, which also makes their healing very strong. And they can have even more healing from molten whip stacks and minor brutality.

To a certain degree it isn't even the DKs fault. You could blame the overall meta. It just so happens that DKs benefit more than anyone else from what the meta is. Free status effect procs, easy sustain, block-casting, and OP heals.

Most people see Corrosive as being the lynchpin. For multiple reasons-- some of which I've already mentioned. But there's also the fact that you can continue to generate ulti while in Corrosive but not during any other transformative ulti. Whip stacks don't go away when you miss like other similar skills. Corrosive having such a powerful defensive property attached to it renders the actual defensive morph useless and out of place.

Changing any of the last three things would probably be enough-- and admittedly the whip thing has nothing to do with Corrosive. But since these obvious inconsistencies aren't getting fixed people are coming up with other ideas. Nerf FoO for instance. Nerf Fossilize. It's just boredom, tiredness, and desperation. Something needs to be done. Like yesterday.
    Options
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    I think Corrosive Armor should drop all damage mitigation and lean more into damage output so more useful in PvE DPS. Maybe leave the penetration and add some weapon/spell damage so it's more like Balorgh monster set.
    Options
  • VixxVexx
    VixxVexx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    10 years and still no radius indicator on the tooltip. Come on zos.
    • Magma Shell: Mitigation and maybe some snare immunity.
    • Corrosive Armor: Offensive pen and stronger aoe dot.
    Options
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. It’s perfectly fine.
    Its 12 seconds and PvP is all about mobility, simply move away and yes it is that simple and easy to waste 200 ultimate of a DK.
    Options
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hesitant to ask Zos for any skill reworks after they butchered Jabs, when no one was asking for a rework of jabs. Feels like a monkey's paw type deal where we might ask for a rework, and either get something worse in that it's too good, or something that no one uses ever. And there is no in-between. We might suggest a lot of reasonable changes to skills, but Zos only knows one thing, and that's giant swings in one direction or another.
    Edited by merpins on July 24, 2023 8:08AM
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    Corrosive has been OP for years now, i cant fathom why its not nerfed yet.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    Nerf this opething. Nothing should grant best defense in game and best offense in game. Choose one. Similiar thoing is Battle roar passive too much.
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Get it reworked.
    If it doesn't get nerfed in this PTS cycle, it definitely will in the next. More and more DKs are running with a Cryptcannon Ult Bot and dumping Corrosive straight into Leap.

At the absolute minimum you shouldn't be able to generate ult while in Corrosive to prevent silly things like this.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on July 25, 2023 9:16PM
    Options