Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Random Crashes when using arcanist abilities

Dr_Con
Dr_Con
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Both the unmorphed and morphed versions of Teleport* have caused me to crash today during undaunted dungeons. The report window does not come up after these crashes. This happened on Tempest Island and City of Ash 1 in matchmade dungeons.

A separate instance of me crashing occurred on Castle Thorn as well, which made me suspect it was a memory leak introduced this patch until i crashed after using Teleport again.

Other players I am speaking with are reporting multiple crashes as well. Each time, the game freezes and does not respond until we alt + f4 or use task manager to close.
Edited by Dr_Con on June 7, 2023 6:56AM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Three times for me today.
  • Melia_Frost
    Melia_Frost
    ✭✭
    I have discovered at least one cause of the crashing when using arcanist portal. If you are aiming over a barrier, but aim too close to it with the portal then your game will crash. This can easily be seen with this box in Mournhold, screenshot taken once my game had frozen. Also stuff like horizontal iron bars such as certain cell doors can cause the same issue. I am guessing it is a problem with aiming at a spot you might not have line of sight to.

kcztdacmsrla.png
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have discovered at least one cause of the crashing when using arcanist portal. If you are aiming over a barrier, but aim too close to it with the portal then your game will crash. This can easily be seen with this box in Mournhold, screenshot taken once my game had frozen. Also stuff like horizontal iron bars such as certain cell doors can cause the same issue. I am guessing it is a problem with aiming at a spot you might not have line of sight to.

kcztdacmsrla.png

Thank you for this, this is 100% a reason for crash, though I distinctly remember both times when I crashed I had a clear line of sight to the location I wanted to jump to. In Tempest Isle I believe I crashed while going up some of the ramps, so maybe it decided I wasn't allowed to warp due to too high of a Y axis change? The circle was still yellow nonetheless.

Crash #4, this time replicated to show that it's not just that one spot, but just as Melia described.

Replicated:
    h9uu76wd84ax.png
    bqyx0jzb5kz0.png
    Edited by Dr_Con on June 7, 2023 6:57AM
  • Melia_Frost
    Melia_Frost
    ✭✭
    Just want to add that it seems to occur if you are up against any obstacle and try to aim the portal around the edge of it. Aiming with the portal while running against a tree or hugging the wall as you go around a corner can cause a crash for this reason.
  • athena9205
    athena9205
    ✭✭✭
    I tried roof jumping with portal and got crashed 3 times in a row. I think the portal needs to be instant rather than running through portal you place before you. That will prevent the 'barrier' in front of you problem. imo. Range is also bad. should be 28 meters or better.
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. The portal is crashing me as well.

50% of the time the portal closest to me doesn't even appear so the skill doesn't even work. It is one of the most inconsistent skills i've ever seen in this game.

But when I use it to try and portal over a gap or some obstacle it crashes the game.

Seems it is only useful for speeding up runs along a flat path. Pretty disappointing.

Edited by NoxiousBlight on June 7, 2023 11:45AM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree. The portal is crashing me as well.

50% of the time the portal closest to me doesn't even appear so the skill doesn't even work. It is one of the most inconsistent skills i've ever seen in this game.

But when I use it to try and portal over a gap or some obstacle it crashes the game.

Seems it is only useful for speeding up runs along a flat path. Pretty disappointing.

I tried using this ability in the City of Ash I boss fight (where there's water you have to jump over), but due to steep water the skill had no utility whatsoever and the portal always ended where the water began. I don't know if this is intended but the ability seems to not be useful because of this.
    Edited by Dr_Con on June 7, 2023 5:58PM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yesterday...eight hard crashes while leveling at dolmans in Auridon. 1 today. Like really hard, screen freezes, and if I tab away, goes black. Cannot close eso except thru task manager. No crash report box.

• PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just experienced two freezes and now the game has locked my account for a few minutes because of it. Getting really tired of this.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had 3 hard freezes after casting the portal skill.
    Had to log out of windows to get eso to close.
    @ZOS_RichLambert
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've experienced it while trying to port over a gap or a low barrier. Pretty sure that's what causing it as I've even been able to replicate it. Filed a ticket.
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just got 3 crashes using gate inside fathoms drift while using gate.
    i dont think i want to risk slotting this skill anymore till its fixed.
  • athena9205
    athena9205
    ✭✭✭
    i just got a crash trying to portal and now i can't get back in "unexpected internal error ..."
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, while the arcanist portals seem to be causing some level of crash, I have had a multitude of them (by my count - which in my case means at least 2/3 times a night, while running a very smooth game in general) - without as much as using that skill or having it slotted . So whatever causes these random heavy crashes ( game freezes until it completely shuts up with no warning or error message) - the first night I kept getting full servers errors upon login ( 307/102 and some other - while googling all aimed at the same thing - full servers) - so I am skeptical about it being caused by the arcanists skills truly (although I am writing after having just experienced a crash while using that portal!) or just too great of a flow apparently even the new servers cannot hold. Thank you - a response/solution to these issues will be welcome. Other than shutting down our addons that is.

In addition to what I said - I should add that most crashes happend in base game zones. Interestingly enough Necrom and its two new zones ran smoothly for the first week, both in prime-time as well as out of it.
    Edited by Erissime on June 14, 2023 6:48PM
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (PC/NA Gamepad)

I've had to restart my PC 3 4 times this morning because of the Arcanist's Gate ability (non-morphed). The ability bugs and the game gets frozen full-screen with the music still playing. When that happens I can't Alt-Tab, Alt-F4, etc. and have to force restart my PC by using the power button.

It's easily reproducible but I can't take a screenshot or video of it happening because it freezes my PC... All I do is turn quick-cast ground abilities to automatic, then press the ability once to show the placement circle, and then while the circle is showing start moving my character around and trying to place the circle on different objects/elevations. It will freeze my PC every time I try this, and always has the "target out of range" message on the screen when it happens.

For reference, I tried this at the Vivec City crafting area near the stacks of wood beside the woodworking station. Here:
    8UQUk8v.png

Patch v9.0.6 on PC:
    • Apocryphal Gate: Fixed an issue with this ability and its morphs where it would only place one portal.
      • Fleet-Footed Gate (morph): Fixed an issue where this ability was not benefiting from its rank progression.

[Edited to include pre-crash screenshot.]

Edited by N00BxV1 on June 21, 2023 2:11PM
  • daemondamian
    daemondamian
    ✭✭✭
    Got on the forums to check whether anyone else had had this same issue!

Seems to happen (on PC) when using the teleport ability -not every time though - mostly right after when you get a message about the target being an invalid location.

Have to close ESO process (if I can) or restart/log out.

Haven't had any other crashes for a long time until this bug.

Love the ability but might have to shelve it for now :(
    Edited by daemondamian on June 22, 2023 3:36AM
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    Both the unmorphed and morphed versions of Teleport* have caused me to crash today.
    Playing two days on PS5, having ZERO crashes on Teleport.
    Playing 10 MINS on PS4 and already have the first Teleport screen freeze...

Please mention your platform.

Edited by BalticBlues on June 22, 2023 3:33AM