The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

constant crash to desktopafter newest update

DarkStrifeYT
DarkStrifeYT
✭✭✭
So im getting random crashes. Either it being dropping a portal or just by playing the game. My game freezes up then stops responding then crashes.
I made a ticket only to get an automated response. It didnt work. Please help. I never crashed like this over and over. Hard to level the new class when you keep crashing from its own abilities. It also crashes with and without add-ons equally. So its purely game wise.
I am dark strife. Khajiit since arena... ya know when they were humans... with face paint... still khajiit only all games...
  • DarkStrifeYT
    DarkStrifeYT
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another crash happened.
    I am dark strife. Khajiit since arena... ya know when they were humans... with face paint... still khajiit only all games...
    Options
  • DarkStrifeYT
    DarkStrifeYT
    ✭✭✭
    No addons, defualt settings, where is zos?
    Options
  • DarkStrifeYT
    DarkStrifeYT
    ✭✭✭
    very upset costumer here
    Options
  • DarkStrifeYT
    DarkStrifeYT
    ✭✭✭
    im going to keep adding new posts per time i crash to desktop till either its fixed or zos responds.
    Options
  • DarkStrifeYT
    DarkStrifeYT
    ✭✭✭
    and another crash
    Options
  • DarkStrifeYT
    DarkStrifeYT
    ✭✭✭
    also sorry for the multi msgs, idk how to edit and add onto a post ._. but im taking a break till this is fixed.
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Click the little gear icon to edit your posts.
    Options
  • DarkStrifeYT
    DarkStrifeYT
    ✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    Click the little gear icon to edit your posts.

took me a second to find it, i barely use the forums XD thanks
    Options
  • Melia_Frost
    Melia_Frost
    Soul Shriven
    If you are getting crashes with the arcanist portal I have found that aiming the portal through or at certain barriers (so far only those made of metal bars) will always make you crash. Aside from that issue no crashes for me or my friend yet.

Edit: Scratch that I have narrowed it down to there being a barrier between you and where you are aiming with the portal, if you aim close enough to the other side of the barrier you will crash. A perfect example is this box by the wayshrine in Mournhold. If you stand where I stand and aim with a portal at the same spot I am then that will cause a crash. My guess is some issue with aiming where your character doesn't have line of sight.
    y005h29qcko2.png
    Edited by Melia_Frost on June 7, 2023 6:05AM
    Options
  • Dren_Utogi
    Dren_Utogi
    ✭✭✭
    I had 4 crashes :|
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @DarkStrifeYT

Our help article below has troubleshooting to assist with ESO crashing.

What do I do if ESO is crashing with the error "ESO has stopped working"?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Esmaralda
    Esmaralda
    ✭✭
    I can't play because of crashes either.
    ♥♥♥ Ezmaralda, Vampire of Morrowind ♥♥♥
    Options
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i will go in details (hope it helps)

win10, nvidia (no driver updates for couple of months - just before last big mess up), chrome, steam, thunderbird, dolby atmos for headphones active.

before freez there is blink of window as shell/background service starting (i'm seeing often this with chrome recently)
    when it freezes it is either ctd shortly or have to double click with mouse to force "program doesn't respond - wait or close"

couple of times today - one on crafting station just when clicking to interact (lazy writ), when i logged in again it was crafted...

no error and nothing at the time of freez/ctd at event viewer
    Options
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's getting worse.

i was averaging about 4x a day during an 8 hour or so session.

i've crashed at least 7-8 times today in less than five hours and there's no pattern to it; it doesn't seem to matter what i'm doing.

the last couple came when i was just standing around, waiting for a dolmen to light up in auridon.

it's been a problem since the new chapter dropped, but it's getting more and more frequent. last two crashes came within five minutes of each other fwiw.

i've also had difficulty logging back on from some of these crashes, one knocked me completely out of windows and caused a machine reboot; that's a new one on me.

not a good look for the new chapter. :/
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a huge issue for a bunch of PvP guilds that I have insight into.

Crashes are taking down multiple members at a time and seem to begin after playing for about 20-30 minutes in Cyrodiil.

Once they begin the increase in frequency.
    Options
  • Rogue_WolfESO
    Rogue_WolfESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    2nd crash in a 2 hour raid in greyhost. Game freezes. Have to restart pc completely.
    Options
  • illusiouk
    illusiouk
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried all the changes, even did a full re-install, up to date on drivers and I still crash. I seem to crash after putting on a health buff. Exp buff vanishes after zoning or reboot but is still active. Health buff is gone 100% and also when a number of players all seem to attack at the same time i.e., when a dolmen starts etc.

Are there fixes on the horizon?
    Options
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few crashes myself during my sessions. While I've not had a many as some, it's a large increase from zero.
    Options
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of random freeze/crashes for me as well, and I haven‘t had a problem of this magnitude in the last seven years of playing.
    My main is not an Arcanist so no portal trouble here.
    I‘m on Win10 as well, latest nvidia GameReady drivers, absolutely no add-ons.
    I froze/crashed about 30 minutes in during mounting, then during an NPC dialog, once straight after logging onto my main char when trying to collect the daily reward… and so on.
    Could be anything, really: The new randomount function, other players‘ Arcanists porting around, NPCs trying to sabotage players… at least I‘m not alone in this, so I suppose they might fix it one day.
    Edited by Ye_Olde_Crowe on June 12, 2023 3:51PM
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC NA no Steam. Small number of addons. Same here - random crashes with pretty good regularity. Usually character stops responding to some commands for a short time, then the game crashes with or without a brief freeze. Sometimes right to desktop, sometimes giving one of several various error codes. Random activities in random zones/situations.

Clearly there is some sort of problem shared by quite a few players so I suspect something to do with the game. My Nvidia driver is always up to date, I update my addons daily via Minion, I have repaired the game, running the game as administrator seems to make no difference. I have not disabled my small list of addons so am comforted somewhat by others reporting that disabling addons seems to make no difference.

One small semi-consistency for me seems to be that it will normally crash within the first 5-10 mins of play for the day, and thereafter let me play for usually an hour or more before crashing subsequently. Until the cycle repeats the next day.

OP, I share your frustration and you are not alone.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • NicGroover
    NicGroover
    ✭✭✭
    Since the release of Necrom, I am regularly disconnected from the game "an error has occurred...". 2 times in 30mn...

It's getting tiresome... A real pleasure to play...
    Edited by NicGroover on June 13, 2023 11:29AM
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If the crash troubleshooting found here is not helping with these crashes, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeni peeps, your replies aren't exactly helping. Anyway, ever since the expansion released -- my game has been having issues.
    CTD's have increased tenfold, and whenever I crash the 'play' button gets replaced with 'repair'. I sometimes also get a specific error. I have repaired the game successfully, I also made an exception in windows defender for both the eso64.exe and the launcher, nothing seems to help. Last resort would be to delete the patch files and download it all again, which is a bit of a problem for me right now.

ep2bo9siqz3j.png

The error just appeared randomly when the game was closed but the launcher was opened. Fix the game please.

Options
  • mielyn
    mielyn
    ✭✭✭
    These crashes are affecting me, too. I primarily play PvP in Cyrodiil. In a group of 8-12. The entire group has been experiencing constant and erratic crashes. During 2 hours of playtime, one person crashed at least 8 times. I personally crashed about 4 or 5. And this has been happening every single time I've been playing since the update. I have updated my NVIDIA drivers. I have updated all add-ons. I am 100% certain it is NOT an add-on issue, as some of my guild mates also tried it with add-ons disabled and still experienced crashing.

I am sure this is something in the game's code. Please fix this ASAP as it is creating a very bad gameplay experience.
    Options
  • mielyn
    mielyn
    ✭✭✭
    Also, the crash is different than crashes in the past. The entire game client FREEZES UP and the only way out of it is to END TASK. Then close the launcher and re-launch the game. Then, sometimes it lets me right back in. Other times it gives me generic error messages. (I've seen at least 2 or 3 different "error codes", but I'm sure none of them are helpful.)
    Options
  • DarkStrifeYT
    DarkStrifeYT
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    If the crash troubleshooting found here is not helping with these crashes, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.

oh i got a ticket there, and they wernt helpful, so yeah... this 100% is a new issue that the whole community is experiencing. So yeah...
    Options
  • Aelirenn
    Aelirenn
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »

I've been away for nearly a year. There is no option to repair from the launcher. 4 crashes in 2 hours and not on an arcanist.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Shagreth

You can find additional steps for the 206 error in the FAQ below.

Error 206: PatchManifestError_UnzipFail - Error Code - The Elder Scrolls Online

@Aelirenn

The repair option should normally be under "Game Options" in the ESO Launcher. It may be missing in some circumstances as explained in the article below.

How do I repair the game files for The Elder Scrolls Online?
    Options
    Staff Post