Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should we expect visual improvements to the game?

antr1x
antr1x
No, seriously. Yes, I've only played 1000+ hours (which isn't that much really) since its release. I didn't get attached to any class, I didn't min-max characters, didn't tryhard trials, and so on. I'm a casual player who adores the Elder Scrolls universe. I participated in the beta test of the initial release, saw the game develop. And how did it develop? New content (undeniably cool) and a bunch of stuff in the crown store (not cool, although it didn't stop me from buying almost everything there is, mostly because of FOMO). What about the rest?

Wooden identical animations for all races that run like the Terminator T-1000, I can't even say anything about the mount animations without tears (I've already used half a pack of tissues writing these lines) - what is this, Speedy Gonzales? It is not clear whether to cry or laugh when you see how something similar to the fourth cylinder crankshaft of Subaru WRX STI is "running/jumping" at a 60 lvl speed. We're not talking about smooth animations like in AAA projects, but after so many years, you could improve it a little, make everything a bit more smooth and aesthetic.

What about the vegetation? Okay, let's skip the bushes that don't render further than 100 meters (although you could remove the limit for PC as a setting)... but what about the grass? What are these sprite billboards that turn with the camera? This technology was used in retro games when resources needed to be strictly saved. We're not asking you to add 3D grass, let it remain sprite-based, but static, as it is done in almost all games (including WoW, FF14, GW2 and so on). This will not affect the performance on consoles at all. We clearly see how the artists try hard (especially noticeable in the locations of the latest addons), they are undoubtedly good, but why not abandon outdated technology?

Why not bring the game into a slightly more modern look? No, there's no need to talk about catering to consoles, this excuse is as old as the world, even PS3 showed pretty good graphics in FF14.

Dear ZoS! You're great, honestly, though I initially (in beta times) thought this was a stillborn project. I'm glad I was wrong. But the game needs a little love. Stop milking the players and wasting precious resources on the crown store. Redirect them to another course. The game has been asking for a visual upgrade for a long time. Players have been asking for this for a long time. Or at least finally say outright something like "Everything will stay the same, but you can buy a new motif or house in the crown store with a discount, only for 17999 crowns".

So... should we expect visual improvements to the game? Please don't take everything written above in a negative way. Cheers!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with the way the game looks, and I find it vastly superior in all respects to the three games you mention.
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game's fine the way it is for me. It's far far better than WoW (cartoonish to the end), and the reason I don't play Terminator, FF, or GW2 is the sheer ick factor of the graphics (not to mention FF's very weird anime characters).

I don't want any messing with my characters (like happened in WoW - which was the final straw in my disgust with that game) or the really wonderful visuals. I don't find the base game areas bad at all - they aren't as sharp visually as newer content, but then they still are quite beautiful.

Sorry, I just don't agree with your post OP.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • antr1x
    antr1x
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Game's fine the way it is for me. It's far far better than WoW (cartoonish to the end), and the reason I don't play Terminator, FF, or GW2 is the sheer ick factor of the graphics (not to mention FF's very weird anime characters).

I don't want any messing with my characters (like happened in WoW - which was the final straw in my disgust with that game) or the really wonderful visuals. I don't find the base game areas bad at all - they aren't as sharp visually as newer content, but then they still are quite beautiful.

Sorry, I just don't agree with your post OP.

I didn't say the graphics were bad, in fact, I complimented the designers. What I did suggest was that it would at least be nice to replace the billboard grass with static grass. The game wouldn't get worse from this. If you like the fact that the grass rotates with the camera - then I don't really care whether you agree with my post or not, sorry, no offense. The same applies to the animations of characters and mounts - they're wooden and fast, and only a blind person could fail to notice it, and the comparison with the T-1000 was literal, like in that famous chase scene in the movie, I wasn't referring to the Terminator game. Also, I never said that the graphics in FF14 or WoW are better - they have their own style. Although the animations in GW2 are much better, especially mounts.
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't complain about the graphics delivered, especially if we take into consideration we're talking about a mmo.

It indeed aged quite well, at least for my taste. Here few examples, intentionally selected from older content:

vjesded4n1kv.png
    3jlyizgzvsob.png
    y5zx8xeaoabd.png

I spare all of us a visual comparison to the three games you mentioned above.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • antr1x
    antr1x
    If this looks 'superior', then we shouldn't continue the discussion.

25o7kjuibxxz.png
    qqg4xmjbupf0.png
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't spend any time looking at grass, sorry. In fact I have grass set to Low to keep it mostly out of my way.

Oh, your ref to Terminator was to a movie? I don't watch movies like that. I watch Sound of Music, and the James Bond movies, and LotR/Hobbit....

Movies and tv are not very important to me. ESO and the single player TES games are important to me. And I like them the way they are.

I don't see anything wrong with your pics there personally.
    Edited by TaSheen on June 5, 2023 11:02PM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

Options
  • antr1x
    antr1x
    Braffin wrote: »
    I really can't complain about the graphics delivered, especially if we take into consideration we're talking about a mmo.

It indeed aged quite well, at least for my taste. Here few examples, intentionally selected from older content:

vjesded4n1kv.png
    3jlyizgzvsob.png
    y5zx8xeaoabd.png

Once again I will repeat - I have already said that overall the game looks very good. I mentioned specific shortcomings.
    Options
  • antr1x
    antr1x
    I don't spend any time looking at grass, sorry. In fact I have grass set to Low to keep it mostly out of my way.

Oh, your ref to Terminator was to a movie? I don't watch movies like that. I watch Sound of Music, and the James Bond movies, and LotR/Hobbit....

Movies and tv are not very important to me. ESO and the single player TES games are important to me. And I like them the way they are.

https://i.imgur.com/PVo4ck4.gif
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    antr1x wrote: »

? No clue what you're expecting me to see there.

Options
  • antr1x
    antr1x

? No clue what you're expecting me to see there.

It's just a scene from which ZoS took the running animation for characters in ESO.
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, seriously. Yes, I've only played 1000+ hours (which isn't that much really) since its release. I didn't get attached to any class, I didn't min-max characters, didn't tryhard trials, and so on. I'm a casual player who adores the Elder Scrolls universe. I participated in the beta test of the initial release, saw the game develop. And how did it develop? New content (undeniably cool) and a bunch of stuff in the crown store (not cool, although it didn't stop me from buying almost everything there is, mostly because of FOMO). What about the rest?

Wooden identical animations for all races that run like the Terminator T-1000, I can't even say anything about the mount animations without tears (I've already used half a pack of tissues writing these lines) - what is this, Speedy Gonzales? It is not clear whether to cry or laugh when you see how something similar to the fourth cylinder crankshaft of Subaru WRX STI is "running/jumping" at a 60 lvl speed. We're not talking about smooth animations like in AAA projects, but after so many years, you could improve it a little, make everything a bit more smooth and aesthetic.

What about the vegetation? Okay, let's skip the bushes that don't render further than 100 meters (although you could remove the limit for PC as a setting)... but what about the grass? What are these sprite billboards that turn with the camera? This technology was used in retro games when resources needed to be strictly saved. We're not asking you to add 3D grass, let it remain sprite-based, but static, as it is done in almost all games (including WoW, FF14, GW2 and so on). This will not affect the performance on consoles at all. We clearly see how the artists try hard (especially noticeable in the locations of the latest addons), they are undoubtedly good, but why not abandon outdated technology?

Why not bring the game into a slightly more modern look? No, there's no need to talk about catering to consoles, this excuse is as old as the world, even PS3 showed pretty good graphics in FF14.

Dear ZoS! You're great, honestly, though I initially (in beta times) thought this was a stillborn project. I'm glad I was wrong. But the game needs a little love. Stop milking the players and wasting precious resources on the crown store. Redirect them to another course. The game has been asking for a visual upgrade for a long time. Players have been asking for this for a long time. Or at least finally say outright something like "Everything will stay the same, but you can buy a new motif or house in the crown store with a discount, only for 17999 crowns".

So... should we expect visual improvements to the game? Please don't take everything written above in a negative way. Cheers!

Are you thinking the people that work on crown store items are the same people on the team that works on the environmental aspects of the game?
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • antr1x
    antr1x
    kargen27 wrote: »

Are you thinking the people that work on crown store items are the same people on the team that works on the environmental aspects of the game?

No, I don't think so. But ZoS could redirect the efforts of this team into a useful direction.
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

vjesded4n1kv.png
    3jlyizgzvsob.png
    y5zx8xeaoabd.png

Once again I will repeat - I have already said that overall the game looks very good. I mentioned specific shortcomings.

Yeah, the shortcomings you talk about are definitely present, especially in older zones.

There are few problems in my opinion, which speak up against a graphical overhaul (Don't get me wrong, I would be in for it otherwise. As you've seen, I indeed enjoy nice graphics)

1) A broad overhaul of textures would be necessary to adress mostof this problems. This is pricey and takes a lot of time (We talk about years here), so development staff had to be transferred from other parts of the game. Usually this leads to dissatisfied customers and furthermore declining income.
    2) There are several engine restrictions present, which would've to been adressed. That's even more pricey and time consuming.
    3) Several players would be forced to upgrade their hardware to continue playing, which also would result in declining income.

That's why I don't think it's sensible to start a big project like this, in any case not at this very moment.

PS: To compare the graphics of eso to WoW or even GW2 is nonetheless hilarious :wink:
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • antr1x
    antr1x

vjesded4n1kv.png
    3jlyizgzvsob.png
    y5zx8xeaoabd.png

PS: To compare the graphics of eso to WoW or even GW2 is nonetheless hilarious :wink:

I've re-read all my posts in this topic, but I couldn't find the piece of text where I compared the graphics of these games. I only found the part where I mentioned that "those" games use static grass sprites. That's not a graphics comparison. And no, using static sprites won't force "several" players to upgrade their PCs.
    Edited by antr1x on June 5, 2023 11:35PM
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

vjesded4n1kv.png
    3jlyizgzvsob.png
    y5zx8xeaoabd.png

I've re-read all my posts in this topic, but I couldn't find the piece of text where I compared the graphics of these games. I only found the part where I mentioned that "those" games use static grass sprites. That's not a graphics comparison. And no, using static sprites won't force "several" players to upgrade their PCs.

Re-read you original post again and yes, you're completely right. It's my own fault by taking the shortcut and reading your post too superficial. That's on me and you have my apologies for that.

And if we are really only talking about static sprites, yes that wouldn't be a problem, as it's indeed done rather quick.
    ---
    Options
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    go back and compare old jabs to new jabs and then have a long think about if you really want an animation "overhaul". it's possible they had animation overhaul on the list and then everyone freaked out about jabs and rapid strikes so they decided the animations are fine and it's not worth the budget to just make a bunch of people unhappy.
    Options
  • antr1x
    antr1x
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    go back and compare old jabs to new jabs and then have a long think about if you really want an animation "overhaul". it's possible they had animation overhaul on the list and then everyone freaked out about jabs and rapid strikes so they decided the animations are fine and it's not worth the budget to just make a bunch of people unhappy.

To be honest, I don't think a full overhaul of animations is necessary. It would be enough to make it less "wooden", I don't know how to explain it more correctly. The closest comparison I've already made above - the running animation literally looks like T-1000 )) As for the jabs, I agree with you.
    Options
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually ignore postings that I don't concur with.
    Problem is, this is maybe the 3rd in a week or so, so could give developers a wrong picture if people who don't agree stay silent.

Yes, the plants/grass look a little unnatural when they turn to the character.
    Nevertheless they look "good".

I have played long enough to have seen how devastating impact even minor changes can have, e.g. the release of Elsweyr resulted in broken heavy staff attacks and massive desyncs for two months. Never change a running system, I think this is especially important in such an old piece of software (9 years old), that gets to its limits with every new chapter that tries to be a little fancier than those before.

Let us keep the game as it is, many changes made things so much worse in the past, like nerfs, "balancing", mythics.
    I think the game will be fine for another 5 years in the current grafical state, then certainly other titles will start to replace ESO.
    I already now know many people who announced they will switch to Starfield when released, others seem to wait for AOC, and at some point ES6 will be available.

I would be happy if these remaining 5 years (and even if there are some more years) add some interesting new zones and stories, but not mess around with core settings of the game like vegetation or animations. I would be really disappointed if we suddenly would get hectically moving grass like in Witcher 3, a game hailed by many for its grafics. I think the vegetation there is animated terribly.

Edited by markulrich1966 on June 6, 2023 12:18AM
    Options
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks great on my ps5, than on my ps4.
    Even looks better than on my pc.
    I7 7700, 16g ddr4, gt 1080, win 10.
    They already upgraded the graphics for rt?
    Or not?
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

vjesded4n1kv.png
    3jlyizgzvsob.png
    y5zx8xeaoabd.png

It does look great. The only thing I agree with is the design of horses as the back legs are very wrong. This is a great looking game.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jtm1018 wrote: »
    It looks great on my ps5, than on my ps4.
    Even looks better than on my pc.
    I7 7700, 16g ddr4, gt 1080, win 10.
    They already upgraded the graphics for rt?
    Or not?

The graphics for the newer areas have been improved, IIRC. They stopped supporting older technology that was supported when the game was originally released. Minimum PC requirements have increased.

Options