The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Official Discussion Thread, "ESO Developer Deep Dive- Giving Tamriel's Characters Their Voice"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
mzfhcge4m9uv.jpg
This is the official discussion thread for, "ESO Developer Deep Dive- Giving Tamriel's Characters Their Voice"

"Learn about how all of Tamriel’s characters get their voices with this deep dive chat with ZeniMax Online Studio’s own VO Lead, @ZOS_BeckyIchnoski!"

Hey all, wanted to highlight your role in getting this deep dive to happen. Many of your have noted your interested in the voice-over acting process and have asked our VO Lead, Becky Ichnoski, many great questions over the years. Your continued interest around this aspect of game development inspired this peak behind the curtain. Thanks for your continued support around this aspect of our work and we how you enjoy the deep dive! Also, special thanks to Becky for taking the time to give us a peak behind the VO curtain!

*We'll be moving this to the news section after a few days.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on June 5, 2023 11:51AM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys have DB Cooper working for you? Quick, someone call the FBI. :D
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've always maintained that no matter what problems you say ESO has, the voice acting has never been one of them. Keep up the good work!
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @thejadefalcon I had to look this up and let me tell you, I was not expecting that bio.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love the voice acting in ESO, thank you for writing this!
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the voice acting in this game as well! The Voice Actors, Artists, Writers, and Musicians in this game are phenomenal.
    Edited by SimonThesis on May 18, 2023 11:00PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the voice acting in this game as well! The Voice Actors, Artists, Writers, and Musicians in this game are phenomenal. I just wish the bug fixers were as talented.

When voice actors have to read and write thousands line of code then we'll talk.
  • LINCARD1000
    LINCARD1000
    ✭✭✭
    The VO team is always spot-on for the characters - and I really dig what you've done with the Argonian voices in the game in particular. With the ancient south/central/northern American indigenous influence in their visual aesthetic, have you ever cast indigenous voice actors for any of those Argonian roles?

There's also a recurring VA that you've used (not sure who) for at least a couple of Argonian NPCs who adds a particular sibilant "hiss" to their voices that I thought was really cool; the "creepy" Argonian on the dock in Stros M'Kai that you can talk with briefly as part of Izzy's companion questline, for example.

Anyhoo - nice work on the VO stuff in the game - the team has chosen really well for the various characters I reckon :-) Fascinating to get a bit of background into how it all comes together :smile:
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    @thejadefalcon I had to look this up and let me tell you, I was not expecting that bio.

d_b_cooper.png
  • FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the best thing about this game is the amazing voice acting! Thank you for this look behind the curtain!

I've been trying to pin down the Khajiiti accent. What makes a good khajiit voice?

Also, will there be an interview with the cast on Twitch for Necrom's release? Fell in love with the VA's performance for Shap-as-Night during PTS testing. Would love to hear more from him and the others of course!

Keep up the good work! Cheers!

Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • Codeman1976
    Codeman1976
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to comment on DB Cooper but looks like someone already beat me to it.

I would kill to be a voice actor for an Argonian character. It would be killer if we, the player, could incorporate our own character’s voice and bio into the game for others to experience.
    PS4 NA
    Codeman1976
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FayJolyn wrote: »
    One of the best thing about this game is the amazing voice acting! Thank you for this look behind the curtain!

I've been trying to pin down the Khajiiti accent. What makes a good khajiit voice?

Also, will there be an interview with the cast on Twitch for Necrom's release? Fell in love with the VA's performance for Shap-as-Night during PTS testing. Would love to hear more from him and the others of course!

Kevin confirmed in another thread that Sharp is voiced by Brandon Keener, who is largely known by BioWare fans as voicing Garrus Vakarian in the Mass Effect trilogy.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FayJolyn wrote: »

Kevin confirmed in another thread that Sharp is voiced by Brandon Keener, who is largely known by BioWare fans as voicing Garrus Vakarian in the Mass Effect trilogy.

For what little I played ME, I remember the character with fondness. I played only enough of ME1 to roleplay an aging Drell on a forum now long gone.

The RP was fun.... but as with most other RP situations, RL intervened, so.... Unfortunate but true.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great article! Thanks for putting it together.

You guys have DB Cooper working for you? Quick, someone call the FBI. :D

That was my first thought as well. I guess some of us are showing our age! :)
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the article, it was fascinating to read the whole process from start to finish. Sounds like as much work as I imagined it would be, and more. Wonder how much if any of VO will be taken over by audio programs in the future? Can’t imagine it as any less work for the developer.  

Stay safe :)
  • Mofasa
    Mofasa
    ✭✭✭
    I just love the dialect some npcs have in the reach, it's just lovely. :)
    I don't have a sub right now but I think maybe Orla had the best voice and dialect, we need more like this!!
    What is it, Scottish or Irish dialect?

• SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the voice acting for Justiciar Farowel in Alinor!