The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can Wayrest Sewers II be soloed?

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I just got killed by the harvester boss in Wayrest Sewers II, then did some research, and found that its Soul Rend attack can only be ended if some player(s) other than the Soul Rend target activate the 2 altars in that room. Does that mean this dungeon can't be soloed? Or is there a way to avoid Soul Rend before it starts attacking you?

I generally play solo, and need 1 more lead for the Shipbuilders Woodworking Station, which drops in this dungeon.
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned that there's a way to avoid the Soul Rend by (IIRC) standing on the steps, but I could never get it to work.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • frogthroat
    frogthroat
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried Wayrest Sewers II but I suppose the same works as in Bloodroot Forge and Scalecaller Peak. Slot Precognition. In Scalecaller you need it and in Bloodroot you need it if your dots are not applied in time to heal you with PO. Should work in WS2 as well.

I think you can avoid Soul Rend by aggroing the boss, running back to where Slimecraw is in WS1 and then back to the top of stairs before the boss resets. At least that's what I have heard, but we tried it only once in a group, the boss reset and then we didn't bother. But yeah, what SeaGtGruff said, I have also heard you can avoid it.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frogthroat wrote: »
    I haven't tried Wayrest Sewers II but I suppose the same works as in Bloodroot Forge and Scalecaller Peak. Slot Precognition. In Scalecaller you need it and in Bloodroot you need it if your dots are not applied in time to heal you with PO. Should work in WS2 as well.

I think you can avoid Soul Rend by aggroing the boss, running back to where Slimecraw is in WS1 and then back to the top of stairs before the boss resets. At least that's what I have heard, but we tried it only once in a group, the boss reset and then we didn't bother. But yeah, what SeaGtGruff said, I have also heard you can avoid it.

I don't believe precog works in this instance.

But also, what do you need precog for in scalecaller? Having soloed it quite a few times, I can't think of any instance where it was necessary over a damage dealing ult.
  • frogthroat
    frogthroat
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I can't think of any instance where it was necessary over a damage dealing ult.

Wait, DOTs heal you through the fire beam at Zaan?!

edit: messed up the quotes
    Edited by frogthroat on April 25, 2023 2:17PM
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that precognition does not work on this pin. The Harvester in Wayrest II is a hard group check, unfortunately.
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I can't think of any instance where it was necessary over a damage dealing ult.

Wait, DOTs heal you through the fire beam at Zaan?!

edit: messed up the quotes

Oh, the fire beam. Nah, you can out DPS the mechanic. If you push fast enough, half the mechanics in that fight don't trigger.
  • frogthroat
    frogthroat
    ✭✭✭
    The Harvester in Wayrest II is a hard group check, unfortunately.
    Apparently not. This got me intrigued so I checked Youtube.

Seems like when I tried it with a group once we didn't understand it fully and the boss bugged out -- which we thought was that we went too far and the boss reset.

Kill trash, aggro boss, dps for a few seconds, run to where Slimecraw is in WS1, boss gets stuck at the door, range dps it down.

The video I saw was using only Caltrops so it took 15 minutes, but it was soloable. Perhaps switch to a ranged setup when doing that boss.

I think I have to try that.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the way that ive heard is you basically have to let a companion more or less solo them, and you stay up at the top of the stairs basically hiding

i have not tried this method, but i would imagine this would be very slow as companions avg about 10-15k dps tops
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • frogthroat
    frogthroat
    ✭✭✭
    It has been fixed. When you go to where Slimecraw is in WS1, the boss follows to the door, can't get in, but you get "joining encounter in progress". And then you port to the other side of the boss and you get the almost non-escapable mechanic.

Why almost? I tried it a couple of times and thought maybe if I run away after the port... I hit Race Against Time, possibly just at the correct time, I could escape and run forward back to where the boss starts. I tried to keep my distance and managed to burn it quite a bit. But then it did the mechanic again from across the whole hall, through the columns and that was it.

I think it might be possible if you run to the previous chamber, get ported back, Race Against Time, run around while damaging, run back to the previous chamber, etc. As long as you time going into the Slimecraw's chamber just when the boss is about to do the mechanic, and hit RAT immediately when you get teleported.

But, I don't think it would be possible to do it consistently, it would rely too much on luck. Nah, not going to work. I guess technically if RNGods smile at you, maybe, but I don't want to do these just by luck. So yeah, not soloable.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been fixed. When you go to where Slimecraw is in WS1, the boss follows to the door, can't get in, but you get "joining encounter in progress". And then you port to the other side of the boss and you get the almost non-escapable mechanic.

Why almost? I tried it a couple of times and thought maybe if I run away after the port... I hit Race Against Time, possibly just at the correct time, I could escape and run forward back to where the boss starts. I tried to keep my distance and managed to burn it quite a bit. But then it did the mechanic again from across the whole hall, through the columns and that was it.

I think it might be possible if you run to the previous chamber, get ported back, Race Against Time, run around while damaging, run back to the previous chamber, etc. As long as you time going into the Slimecraw's chamber just when the boss is about to do the mechanic, and hit RAT immediately when you get teleported.

But, I don't think it would be possible to do it consistently, it would rely too much on luck. Nah, not going to work. I guess technically if RNGods smile at you, maybe, but I don't want to do these just by luck. So yeah, not soloable.

If it used to be soloable but then got "fixed," they must not want it to be soloable.

Let's face it, group dungeons are content that was intended to be done as part of a group, not done by solo players.

A lot of group dungeons can be soloed, especially the earliest ones (base game dungeons which are version I dungeons or which are unnumbered, as opposed to version II base game dungeons and DLC dungeons), but the later dungeons tend to have some kind of mechanic that requires at least two players, or a DPS check that is easier to pass if multiple players are doing damage together as compared to a single player's damage output.

Like it or not, ZOS apparently prefers that we play together and help each other, not just run off and do our own things solo. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What triggers the mechanic? Health percentage?
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the pull from the step trick no longer works in Wayrest 2, if you have more time than sense, you can still activate her & die. Then sneak over and hide behind the stuff to the left of the steps as you face her and stay stealthed while you use the pet commands to make your companion and any pets kill her. Some heal skills will heal your companion without aggroing Malubeth as you hide like a coward. It ruins the whole, "I solo'd this on vet with no deaths" vibe, but it is still sort of possible.

Make sure you bring a book to read, though, you certainly won't bother to do it twice.
  • frogthroat
    frogthroat
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Like it or not, ZOS apparently prefers that we play together and help each other, not just run off and do our own things solo. :)

That's the part I don't get. Even if I can solo a dungeon, most of my dungeon experiences are with a group anyway. Soloing is just for the extra challenge. Make it hard, but not impossible.

I solo farmed Tempest Island (on normal) and no more. Nope, nuh-huh, not repeating that. I might do one solo farm run on some dungeon every now and then, especially if it's odd hours and not many people are online, but it's just so much faster with a group. So even in simple normal dungeons a group is preferred unless it's for the challenge.

That's why I don't really understand those hard locks ZOS puts on some dungeons.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do these guys know something I don't?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/13swtlh/i_see_why_plaguebreak_is_getting_nerfed_on/
    One of them says Wayrest Sewers II can be soloed, unfortunately without mentioning how.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

If it used to be soloable but then got "fixed," they must not want it to be soloable.

Let's face it, group dungeons are content that was intended to be done as part of a group, not done by solo players.

A lot of group dungeons can be soloed, especially the earliest ones (base game dungeons which are version I dungeons or which are unnumbered, as opposed to version II base game dungeons and DLC dungeons), but the later dungeons tend to have some kind of mechanic that requires at least two players, or a DPS check that is easier to pass if multiple players are doing damage together as compared to a single player's damage output.

I would bet a great number of players do things solo. Even using the Dungeon Finder is effectively solo in many ways. Who built long-term connections with people they met there? (Yeah, I know some did, but I would bet most do not.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure if the trick mentioned by @Vaoh on this post still works:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7596963/#Comment_7596963
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure if the trick mentioned by @Vaoh on this post still works:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7596963/#Comment_7596963
    Thanks, that was interesting reading. I'll have to try it sometime. It might be very difficult, given my average ping is 400ms, though.
    Edited by vsrs_au on May 27, 2023 1:05PM