The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why'd ZOS radically reduce drop rate for Cold Fire Ballista's?

UnabashedlyHonest
UnabashedlyHonest
✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone else notice that the drop rate for cold fire ballistas has been radically reduced? I've opened almost 300 pelinial reward boxes now, and only 2 cold fire ballistas dropped.

What's going on with this super low drop rate? I don't see them dropping on dolmens anymore either, but I don't do dolmens all that much anymore either.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on May 22, 2023 2:27AM
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably because most players consider it to be junk and annoying to get.
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jusey1 wrote: »

You must not PvP much if at all.

Cold fire ballistas are the strongest siege in game right now. If you look at trade stores now days it's hard to find one selling for less than 50k when two years ago they were only 2-5k and readily available.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cold Fire are the best siege weapons in PvP next to Lancers. The damage dealt is huge. Players have to panic heal from the Ballista and it's usually a death sentence for me if I get caught in a Trebuchet hit.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh, the amount of people I've slaughtered with my Cold Fire siege... :D:D
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Cold fire ballistas are the strongest siege in game right now. If you look at trade stores now days it's hard to find one selling for less than 50k when two years ago they were only 2-5k and readily available.

and I thought selling all my coldfire off before the event for 25k was a smart move.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on PCNA and shortly before the event I made a new setup wearing Elf Bane so I wanted to get some coldfire trebs/ballista's but much to my surprise after looking at every single major trade location I couldn't find a single AD faction CF siege for sale. There were a few EP and a somewhat decent amount of DC CF's for sale but as stated they used to be cheap and plentiful no matter the faction.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they drop rarely now.
    Gameplay is far more dynamic, as groups actually take keeps at first or second try, unlike in the years before, where they were melted by coldfire.

The map this times looks quite different (xbox NA) every half hours, in contrast to last time, where it looked almost the same even after 1 hour.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've gotten plenty of Cold Fire Ballista and Trebuchet from this event. I've gotten so much siege in fact that I've had to stop opening my mail because I don't know what to do with them now.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    I've gotten plenty of Cold Fire Ballista and Trebuchet from this event. I've gotten so much siege in fact that I've had to stop opening my mail because I don't know what to do with them now.

As pointed out above, you can sell those ballistas in guild stores for 50k+ gold, so you do know what to do with them now. It seems you have the benefit of a drop rate that is not reflective of anyone elses. o:)
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Last year I got significantly fewer Cold Fire siege than previous years, same this year.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As pointed out above, you can sell those ballistas in guild stores for 50k+ gold, so you do know what to do with them now. It seems you have the benefit of a drop rate that is not reflective of anyone elses. o:)

Well, I listed the 13 ballistas I got so far a hour or two ago for around 20k each so we'll see how fast/if they sell. I didn't bother listing the Trebs because the price people were selling them for was low enough it's not worth the slots.

• ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it deals with Cold Fire Ballistas.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 20 of each, so I'm set for the next few months, just got to be lucky
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    also, with the crazy nerf to dolmens - not much opportunity to get one from there...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i probably got close to a dozen coldfire ballista, ended up using them all

also got a bunch of coldstone and coldfire trebs (ran through all of the coldfire trebs, but still have some coldstone trebs left because they are the least useful coldharbour siege)

my biggest inventory clogger right now is all of those uncracked transmute geodes (i have almost 50 of them after the event, couldnt open them cause i was already capped on transmutes lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

also got a bunch of coldstone and coldfire trebs (ran through all of the coldfire trebs, but still have some coldstone trebs left because they are the least useful coldharbour siege)

my biggest inventory clogger right now is all of those uncracked transmute geodes (i have almost 50 of them after the event, couldnt open them cause i was already capped on transmutes lol)

Reconstruct something that only costs you 25 transmutes to make (NOT a mythic), and then you can bank them. When you need the transmutes back just deconstruct the thing you made and you get them back! (Anything that cost more than 25 to make will only give 25 back, and mythics can't be deconstructed). But since the geodes typically give 5ish, you can easily compact them that way!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Reconstruct something that only costs you 25 transmutes to make (NOT a mythic), and then you can bank them. When you need the transmutes back just deconstruct the thing you made and you get them back! (Anything that cost more than 25 to make will only give 25 back, and mythics can't be deconstructed). But since the geodes typically give 5ish, you can easily compact them that way!

yeah i know, i just didnt have time during the event cause i spent all of my game time in cyro (managed to push from rank 45 to 438k left to hit rank 49 lol)

i have some toons that i need to update gear on (and future gear for the arcanist lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Siege is currently radically over-tuned so it is no surprise that the apex siege weapons are currently in short supply. However, we have another MYM in just under a month so you haven't missed your chance completely on snagging some. The best way is definitely to just PvP a lot during the event and max-out your Pelinal's boxes.

I'm on PCNA and shortly before the event I made a new setup wearing Elf Bane so I wanted to get some coldfire trebs/ballista's but much to my surprise after looking at every single major trade location I couldn't find a single AD faction CF siege for sale. There were a few EP and a somewhat decent amount of DC CF's for sale but as stated they used to be cheap and plentiful no matter the faction.

I had to chuckle when I read this because it is an awesome little anecdote for at least what my own subjective experience is like playing in PC-NA Blackreach: EP likes siege, AD LOVES siege, and DC just can't be bothered to siege at all (and I play on DC).
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siege is currently radically over-tuned so it is no surprise that the apex siege weapons are currently in short supply. However, we have another MYM in just under a month so you haven't missed your chance completely on snagging some. The best way is definitely to just PvP a lot during the event and max-out your Pelinal's boxes.

I had to chuckle when I read this because it is an awesome little anecdote for at least what my own subjective experience is like playing in PC-NA Blackreach: EP likes siege, AD LOVES siege, and DC just can't be bothered to siege at all (and I play on DC).

when im actually in cyro, i actually see a lot of people complaining that AD doesnt siege (and i only have AD characters lol)

theres always those loud people in zone chat sometimes, as well as different people playing different times of the day lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm on Xbox/NA so 50K per isn't going to fly here. I'm seeing Cold Fire Ballistas selling for 5K-10K tops, and have even managed to snag quite a few around 1K each. As far as drop rate is concerned, how many event coffers did you open? I opened somewhere north of 1900 coffers and made out like a bandit!
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm on Xbox/NA so 50K per isn't going to fly here. I'm seeing Cold Fire Ballistas selling for 5K-10K tops, and have even managed to snag quite a few around 1K each. As far as drop rate is concerned, how many event coffers did you open? I opened somewhere north of 1900 coffers and made out like a bandit!

You're claiming you generated over 38 million AP in 12 days. That is more than triple what anyone managed to generate in the same time frame on PC NA.

Edited by SaffronCitrusflower on May 24, 2023 12:41PM
  • RealLoveBVB
    RealLoveBVB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're claiming you generated over 38 million AP in 12 days. That is more than triple what anyone managed to generate in the same time frame on PC NA.

30 mio+ is simple, if you catch lowpop/lowscore on the event.

liebesbriefe.jpg
    Edited by RealLoveBVB on May 24, 2023 1:36PM
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

30 mio+ is simple, if you catch lowpop/lowscore on the event.

liebesbriefe.jpg

So you're saying his faction had low pop bonus the entire 12 days of the event, or at least nearly the entire time? On PC NA all three factions were pop locked the entire MYM event, or at least very nearly so. No faction got low pop bonus during the event as far as I know on PC NA.

Things can't be that much different on Xbox and PC servers.
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me you've never played Xbox PVP without telling me you've never played Xbox PVP. Even during events it's a dead zone. So yeah, low pop bonuses for all 12 days is entirely possible.

Also, there were many days when I was gettin low pop bonuses on PC NA. Saying they were all pop locked all the time is just false.
    Edited by TybaltKaine on May 24, 2023 2:57PM
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tell me you've never played Xbox PVP without telling me you've never played Xbox PVP. Even during events it's a dead zone. So yeah, low pop bonuses for all 12 days is entirely possible.

Also, there were many days when I was gettin low pop bonuses on PC NA. Saying they were all pop locked all the time is just false.

Not if you were playing in Greyhost you were not getting low pop bonus on PC NA for more than a few hours over the entire event.

Edited by SaffronCitrusflower on May 24, 2023 3:08PM
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yellow got pounded for the entire event, so the "you suck" bonus gave 4x AP. I pretty much fought red/blue ball groups non-stop for the entire event, perfecting my timing for negating bombing runs! I was part of several attempts to Emp yellow that got crushed over and over again by red Emp. Good times.

• pedrogonzalez
    pedrogonzalez
    ✭✭
    Short story of cold fire trebuchet.
    50 Ad sieging outer door of the keep. 20dc inside. I placed 2 cold fire trebuchets and we just fired it safely about 6 minutes straight to gates, where ad tries to get in, melted down 150-170 ppl, because every trebuchet hit for ~25k. If 2 hits same second it’s instant death.
    Things like this shouldn’t be so strong.
    Edited by pedrogonzalez on May 25, 2023 10:10AM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    great story...good example of why if you siege a well defended keep it's important to have multiple entries in to the keep...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    great story...good example of why if you siege a well defended keep it's important to have multiple entries in to the keep...

It's a good example of why they need to nerf siege.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

It's a good example of why they need to nerf siege.

most siege generally needs a buff, the only siege i would even consider powerful enough to even have an impact would be coldfire ballista and trebs

oils are good but are more situational where they can be used, meatbags or scattershots by themselves? fairly ignorable, they are only good when paired with other siege or stacked like 4-5 times

edit: it also doesnt help either that most players are so freaking tanky that you need siege to help take them down, in my opinion if you need 2-4 players + siege hitting a group of people to even have a chance of killing them, in most cases i found it more effective to set up any siege and provide support to allies fighting than to actually go into the fray myself (unless it moved too far from a keep)
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on June 6, 2023 4:38PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master