The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Seeking Another Perspective

DeathStalker
DeathStalker
✭✭✭✭✭
I feel so lost right now with regards to gaming. I've played at times different MMOs so I don't get burnt out on any one game. I've played ESO off and on since beta. I can't really settle on a game I'm happy with. I'd love to come back and play ESO but I'm so disappointed with the direction they have been going. I love playing a Templar solo but they feel so weak with their dps. Ever since the Brutal Jabs nerf as well as the heavy-handed other nerfs to Templar it's just not as much fun to play. I've tried the solo one-bar heavy attack sorc build which to my shock I broke just barely above 60k DPS for the first time ever. But It's so lacking in AOE damage and just not as fun as my Templar used to be. My Templar was fun. I feel truly lost with no identity in this game. So My question is.

How do you not get disappointed, when in your opinion your Fav class gets gutted? How do you stay invested in the game when you feel your play style is taken away? How do you stay motivated to keep playing over a long time period? I've lost all desire to play and I find myself more upset over it than I expected. I just figured instead of coming here to complain, I would ask for a different perspective instead. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on May 20, 2023 3:32AM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1) I do not avoid the disappointment.
    2) I kept trying to “fix” my build the best I could and built a backup, by the time that was done on live, my build got buffed again (I’m a frost warden).
    3) Taking a break helps a lot.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakensorc lacking aoe dmg? Wut lol. You must've done something very wrong then. Oaken HA hits 100k currently on live and has most of its dmg as aoe. Follow the exact guide, make sure you git the right gear, traits, mundus, gold weapon etc.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... that's a hard one. For me, I don't do anything but questing and crafting because combat in this game is NOT anything I find fun (not to mention that I'm old, and my reflexes are not good, and my only connection is satellite with mega ping - all of which means combat IS NOT EASY for me). In fact, if I could get through quest lines without combat, I'd be thrilled.

I don't do any endgame content or pvp - I did when I played wow and rift, but that was many years ago now, and my ability to handle that sort of content is long in the past.

But generally, the game overall is fun - I give some new content a miss (Western Skyrim and Greymoor - I'm not interested in Nords, vampires and werewolves - though I did buy the content for the antiquities which are really fun for me, and for the free house....)

I have lots of alts of different races (except orc, argonian, dunmer, nord) and classes (except necromancer). I'm retired so I spend several hours every day in game, and though I've played since 2017, I still love it.

It's very hard for someone to help a person who's on the edge with a game to get past the edge and stay. You have to decide what's right for you.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel disappointed. I felt disappointed when they gutted my favorite NB build in 2016, and when they gutted by favorite Sorc build in 2019, and when they gutted my longest main's build with the templar nerfs. Not a single one of those builds work in this game anymore, and I've never had enjoyment from just changing up my build to do optimal dps or anything like that; I come from a much different mmo where playing a class is all about how the skills look and feel to use. that is the goal, you'll probably be happy with your class so long as you like how the skills feel. I've always had that kind of impression of mmos ever since I was a kid, due to playing that game for almost 20 years at this point.

There is no build that can compare to how it felt to play my 2016 nb build.
    There is no build that can compare to how it felt to play my 2019 sorc build.
    and there is no build that can compare to how it felt to play my longest templar build.

The nb and sorc builds still exist btw, they just aren't fun to play anymore. They either do no damage, or the skills that made them fun still feel the same but work differently than they used to... The templar one is even worse because even if they buff it, if they don't revert the animation change, it won't even feel the same. And as I said, it's all about how a class feels to play to me.

It's disappointing. But all you can really do is move on and find something else enjoyable. Right now, that's my wrecking blow templar and my bleed warden, and next patch it'll probably include a beam arcanist because I find that satisfying to use, even if it's kinda weak. Changes happen, and sometimes you just can't do anything about them, you just gotta move on.
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Play because you want to. Not because you have to, as that's how you get burnt out.
    If a patch nerfs your playstyle, just take a break, see stuff from a distance and return when you're in a better place.
    What if I go north? Disappear.
    Would you come after me?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I totally feel like that sometimes. My PvP stamplar was a ton of fun to play a while back, but I’d have to completely rework her skills now and I don’t think I would enjoy it as much. I got her out to run a Battleground a few weeks ago and she just has no damage now and she used to be a real beast.

On the other hand, I have a stamblade that I haven’t changed her skills since bow and dual wield skills were the way to go, her build is many years old. She still does daily delve and world boss dailies and all the story content. I have so many achievements with her that I just get sick thinking of putting magicka skills on her bars and completely changing her build.

I really don’t understand the mighty nerf hammer for classes. They finally got stamblade and stamplar in a good place at some point but a few complaints got them beat back down to the bottom. Meanwhile the one obviously overpowered class is left alone. Is it really that hard to make the classes do similar damage?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really feel I lost that much on my Templar. I had to change up my build and it might take me a bit longer to bring down a world boss but I can still bring down all the world bosses I could before changes were made. I'm in the middle of the pack DPS wise in my trial group and I'm much more survivable than most others.

Take your Templar out and play for a while. Don't spend much time comparing how the Templar preforms now to how it did before. They are still a lot of fun to play.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes a game loses the magic, and that might be when it's time to move on. After investing a lot of time (and perhaps money) in a game, I know that can be difficult. But if a game is no longer fun for you, then it's usually time to at least take a break.

There's no reason to stay motivated to play a game. It's not a job. You don't need to continue playing ESO to live a good life. And if MMOs aren't doing it for you, try a single-player game or two.

But take a break. Templar could come back into its own again in the future, at which point you may or may not care, depending on how that break is going.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you sure you didn't simply get caught up in meta discussions, letting others cloud your judgement? Magplar is honestly still fine for solo PvE. It may objectively be down. Mine was about 15% in U35, I think. Sweeps isn't optimal anymore in either PvP or hardcore PvE. That's got no bearing on solo and dungeon play IMO. Sweeps still rules as a self-heal. Radiant is a monster skill. I love being able to back off to safety while executing from as high as 40% or certainly 35%. Magplar is my PvE DD. Deadly Strike lightning staff, False God, Nerien'eth, vMA fire staff back bar. That monster set has worked as well as the Kilt for me in previous testing and is more universal, e.g. suitable for solo play.
    Edited by fred4 on May 19, 2023 2:39AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With the sunshphere buff giving you up to 20 seconds of 5% boost to class abilities I think jabs will be in a better place, not as good as before but better, just have to get on the pts and try it or wait for the update.
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have explored the world and it's mechanic's, NPC interaction, choosing to do something other than combat, do or do not engage in RP and the game is boring....time to move on.

This game has many facets. Combat. Quests (Solo. group and above) PvP. Housing (including decorating and creation) Role play. Crafting. Collecting. Fishing. Completing accomplishments. Gathering books....

Honestly as a Beta player, I do run out of quests. What do I do? Maybe play another character but I really love exploring the world, gathering materials and selling.

I have taken breaks for offline games. Then I come back.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I avoid disappointment by reducing my goals and using distraction.

reduced goals: no more vet and DLC dungeons at all, eso+ cancelled half a year ago.
    distraction: playing fallout 76 scoreboards, 1 month every 3 months, so I play almost no eso at that time. After the month I enjoy again to spend some time in ESO, even if it is just some event stuff or hanging around at a dolmen or some cyrodiil. But no longer grinding or hard content.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on May 19, 2023 2:57AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Longevity in gaming has more to do with the people you game with. Every game is limited in content so we either spend our days doing PvP/AvA or dungeons/raids/dailies. At some point, all of that gets extremely old if it has nothing to do with the people. One person I game with I have gamed with for more than a decade. We have others that join us sometimes but we tend to find a decent group to run with in whatever game we are playing at the time.

Good luck to you.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel so lost right now with regards to gaming. I've played at times different MMOs so I don't get burnt out on any one game. I've played ESO off and on since beta. I can't really settle on a game I'm happy with. I'd love to come back and play ESO but I'm so disappointed with the direction they have been going. I love playing a Templar solo but they feel so weak with their dps. Ever since the Brutal Jabs nerf as well as the heavy-handed other nerfs to Templar it's just not as much fun to play. I've tried the solo one-bar heavy attack sorc build which to my shock I broke just barely above 60k DPS for the first time ever. But It's so lacking in AOE damage and just not as fun as my Templar used to be. My Templar was fun. I feel truly lost with no identity in this game. So My question is.

How do you not get disappointed, when in your opinion your Fav class gets gutted? How do you stay invested in the game when you feel your play style is taken away? How do you stay motivated to keep playing over a long time period? I've lost all desire to play and I find myself more upset over it than I expected. I just figured instead of coming here to complain, I would ask for a different perspective instead. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You avoid disappointment by not caring; if you care about something, you automatically run the risk of being disappointed. The way you put your arguments gives me the impression you care, so what you do is manage the disappointment.

The game has many possible activities, not all of them affected by nerfs and buffs. If those don't interest you, a solution is to try a different build. However, this brings the frustration of having to farm gear. You're not alone in this, especially since many think the devs are changing direction too often. With the stickerbook, though, you have more versatility, as you don't need to farm again sets you already collected.

I stay motivated by participating in several kinds of activities; it's unlikely the devs would make awful decisions on all of them at the same time. For example, if I did only PvP, I'd be questioning why I should keep playing something plagued by input delay and other old problems. But that's what works ("it just works") for me and it may not necessarily work for you.

ESO has clearly got me hooked good. As for you, if you can't find the motivation, taking a break to clear your mind and think about life, the universe and everything might be a good idea.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a patch nerfs my playstyle, I just change my focus-- that is, I generally avoid or at least back off on the things I can no longer do because of the nerf, and do other things instead. I don't try to revise my build to adjust for the nerf, because sooner or later things will change again. Fortunately, there's so much content I enjoy doing that backing off on one or more specific activities doesn't leave me with nothing to do.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found a niche personally that doesn't require me to adjust that much and still enjoy the game when playing, that's being dungeon trifectas, spare time spent in another titles or occasionally PvP. Game has changed in a direction I don't enjoy but in my bubble it's fine and can still make use of great combat system and great combat team's work.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's asking for the community's assistance.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the moment, I play a different class every other day I play. I do occasionally get confused as to which buttons do what, but I realised a while ago that I can probably continue to play for another ten years so maybe there's no reason to worry about picking one class, or having long term plans.

You could attempt to roll with the changes. A rolling arcanist gathers no crux.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like to rotate around my toons, or take breaks and play other games

templar is still my best and easiest dps toon lol

i have a mag dk dot dps build which is way harder to play than the templar and still barely hits as hard

i have a mag necro which is more set up for bombing npcs with dark convergence and plaguebreak, but with the plaguebreak nerf incoming for pve i might end up redoing his build anyway

i have a lot of fun with this game theory crafting and trying different setups
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, Templar is still fantastic for SOLO play. My MagPlar still is capable of doing DLC World Bosses Solo. When I die, it's my fault, not the Templars.

I see it this way. If you are unhappy with what you do, you have to find something new in the game.
    A new class to learn and enjoy or a new build for your existing Templar are all options you should consider.
    The alternative is to go to another game and find something new there. 🤷‍♂️
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on May 25, 2023 5:07PM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit has stam dps, mag dps and tank of every class. So he just shifts around priorities when Combat Team rearranges deck chairs to prove their continued relevance.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions