The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Combat not initiating properly (affecting first hit from stealth)

Corrhen_Crangrow
Combat is not being initiated properly as of the most recent patch (8.3.8).

This means more specifically that the buffs that should activate on initiation of combat, particularly from stealth, are not activating as they should. They are activating usually around 0.100 seconds after the combat initiating attack, when they should be (as they always have previously) activating before the damage of the initial attack is calculated.

All effects that I have tested that follow this formula (proc on initiation of combat by attack) uniformly do not work, so it is not p[roc effect specific, but rather the bug is with the initiation of combat itself.

ipf5dwv68xkj.png

As is visible here the combat is begun and the procs activated (in this case strike from the shadows and stygian, but this appears to apply to all other similar procs) AFTER the light attack from stealth that in theory should have initiated the combat.

As this appears to be a recent phenomenon (I noticed this on returning to play after a year or so of absence, when it was certainly not the case previously as my old CMX logs can confirm) and I can't find any changelogs that detail it, I'm going to presume this is a bug and not another stealth nerf to stealth gameplay.
  • Corrhen_Crangrow
    To add to the above screenshot, I have another log in which the only difference between the setups used was that the above screenshot was taken without concealed weapon on my front bar, while the following one was with concealed weapon.

If entering combat were working as intended, the damage of the light attack in the following log should be higher than the one above, but as can be clearly seen, it is the exact same (10,272).

This demonstrates that it is not a CMX bug or a UI bug, but an actual bug with the initiation of combat.

aybsl89him75.png
    Edited by Corrhen_Crangrow on May 24, 2023 11:11PM
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible I don't understand what you're saying. Also a fact that I don't play NB often so I just don't know certain things.

So humor me... I may be off base here.

But it seems to me like what you describe is the way it should work? You aren't in combat just because you're planning to attack someone. Combat only begins after the first contact. So I wouldn't expect the first light attacks to be buffed by anything. The first light attack-- in addition to just being extra damage from good weaving, is necessary to proc those buffs.

Now if you're already in combat and go stealth for a few seconds to reposition and flank then I would expect the first light attack to be buffed. Is it not?

But starting in on a fresh target/fight, it makes sense to me that it would not.