The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

how is it possible performance is still getting worse after server upgrade?

Lags
Lags
✭✭✭✭✭
Specifically in pvp, And i dont mean just mid year mayhem. Just in general, could someone please answer this? Like how is it possible its just still steadily declining. is there like any plan for performance going forward? Or is it just gg at this point.
Edited by Lags on May 14, 2023 1:11AM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS stated the server upgrades were not intended to increase performance. It was intended just to prevent old parts from literally failing. Kind of like replacing a 9 year old car with a new version of the exact same car. A 2023 Honda Civic is not really any more or less powerful than a 2014 Honda Civic. Performance increases are supposed to come from ZOS developers rewriting the core underlying game code. When exactly that will happen and if it will actually work remains to be seen. But ZOS literally stated on multiple occasions that the old servers were being replaced with equivalent new servers, not more powerful new servers. They very purposefully called it a "hardware refresh" not a "server upgrade". It was the players and forums that called them "server upgrades" and has gotten people's expectations amped up.
  • Lags
    Lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    ZOS stated the server upgrades were not intended to increase performance. It was intended just to prevent old parts from literally failing. Kind of like replacing a 9 year old car with a new version of the exact same car. A 2023 Honda Civic is not really any more or less powerful than a 2014 Honda Civic. Performance increases are supposed to come from ZOS developers rewriting the core underlying game code. When exactly that will happen and if it will actually work remains to be seen. But ZOS literally stated on multiple occasions that the old servers were being replaced with equivalent new servers, not more powerful new servers. They very purposefully called it a "hardware refresh" not a "server upgrade". It was the players and forums that called them "server upgrades" and has gotten people's expectations amped up.

Ya i remember they said that but heres the thing. First i dont think thats the best analogy. Or actually, maybe it is. But the point is, whether its a car or servers something 9 years newer should operate smoother, even just a little, and even if its the same thing.

Second, no one will deny that performance was better literally right after the server upgrade. Im pretty sure zos even mentioned it somewhere, but maybe im wrong. Even though, yes, they did say multiple times that it wouldnt improve performance. SO either it did improve performance for like a month or so, or they did something the same day they did the hardware refresh stuff that caused such a drastic improvement.

And third there is no expectation, at least from me and many players i speak to. I have played this game since close to launch, there is no expectation that they will ever fix it, i gave up on that hope back around 2018-2019, before they even really acknowledged performance as a glaring issue in the game. Back when support would tell you to "contact your ISP".

At this point many of us still here have just accepted that pvp performance will probably never improve. Personally for me that means playing waaaay less than i want, and just enjoying it when it works. And avoiding gray host like the plague, but thats just me everyone is different. Eso will keep bleeding pvpers, as it has for years, and it basically is what it is.

But Im mainly just curious how performance could be worlds better after the refresh (for whatever reason), and now that we're back on the steady road of performance only getting worse, if they have any plans going forward that i may have missed. Thanks for the response, i appreciate it.