Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

"Deeper Freeze" Is a little misleading.

Elyna
Elyna
✭✭✭✭
So I was looking at my skills to morph and it said a frost staff will add a deeper freeze. At first I thought this meant it turned from a basic snare for a full on stun. All it did was increase the snare duration. :/
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, that was actually a question I was looking into... I initially was going to do Lightning staff but the heavy attack is too long to reliably take advantage of the off balance state it causes also unlike most weapons you can't cut the thing short. Frost was going to be my back up but knowing this makes me a little sad. Fire it is. :(
    Edited by Pyatra on May 5, 2014 7:07PM
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pyatra wrote: »
    Thank you, that was actually a question I was looking into... I initially was going to do Lightning staff but the heavy attack is too long to reliably take advantage of the off balance state it causes also unlike most weapons you can't cut the thing short. Frost was going to be my back up but knowing this makes me a little sad. Fire it is. :(
    Frost is pretty good against melee because of the kiting.
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frost should cause:
    - Root with Elemental Clench (shorter root if morphed into range)
    - 40% chilled (snare) from all other destro abilities (dunno what Wall will do)
    - 40% chilled from weapon attacks from Tri-focus

Storm should cause:
    - Disorient with CHANCE to put off-balance with Elemental Clench
    - 10% less damage from all other destro abilities (dunno what Wall will do)
    - 10% splash damage to 2 nearby enemies from weapon attacks from Tri-focus

Fire causes:
    - Knockback AND long stun with Elemental Clench
    - 10% bigger damage of Wall of Elements
    - all destro abilities have a chance of setting enemy on fire (DoT)
    - weapon attacks have a chance to knock target down from Tri-focus (seems to be affecting abilities as well, as I had both Blockade of Fire and Impulse knocking down targets on occasion)

Since snare won't help that much to justify itself, and disorient is a plain JOKE, I'd say FIRE is the element to go with. It's just plain better than anything else.
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frost staff already roost with clench.

You shouldn't use frost staff or lightning staff for that matter. The damage drop is so noticeable, so what if you can kite slightly easier when the fire staff gives you a spammable knockback+stun and way higher damage?

Killing mobs faster is the best form of survival.
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just guess that Fire Clench bugs out a bit - doesn't apply the knockback to mobs which are immune to stun (which it SHOULD - for example gargoyles - you should be able to knock back gargoyle (like with Magnum Shot), you just can't slow, disorient, fear or stun them)