The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The Fair Winds Home: Feedback

Unknown_Redemption
Unknown_Redemption
✭✭✭✭✭
To begin this home is absolutely stunning. I have noticed a lot of new technology has been introduced in homes recently which is very welcome and adds a tremendous amount of value.

However, one of my biggest turn offs from a home is internal loading screens (doors) as it completely breaks immersion and flow of the home. There are some houses where this makes sense, such as Bastion Sanguinaris, as youre moving to completely different areas. But the 'Fair Winds' home should not have 6 independent areas, the Crows Nest loading screens are fine as it bypasses a climbing animation, but the rest of the home should be open flow.
Edited by Unknown_Redemption on April 18, 2023 8:58PM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like it as it is as the areas feel consistent with similar real world transitions through doorways. The house was probably not possible at that scale and scope without the transitions. I do feel that you are good to have your opinion though.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The doors absolutely make sense, but they should open and close without load screens; or be left open for flow of space.

ESO has released a lot of "Open Plot' homes (e.g. Earthtear Cavern, Moon-Sugar Meadow) that have no internal load screens and are relatively massive. So I am confused to why such small rooms in 'The Fair Winds' home, such as the Captain's Quarters, would be required.
    Edited by Unknown_Redemption on April 18, 2023 1:19AM
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would accept loading screens if we could have more housing slots

Like indoor and outdoor slots
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on April 18, 2023 8:57AM
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it is done to save on system resources, as they are not independent little zones within a home. Usually its layers separated by a few hundred meters of vertical distance. I have fallen through the floor of many homes and can see the various areas dedicated for the 'rooms'. If its all one zone, why do we need these load screens anyway?

My biggest request for this home would be to not have the Captain's quarters behind a loading screen. There is glass windows and placed items can be seen on both sides, it would make the home feel much more natural if it was simply a normal door.
    Edited by Unknown_Redemption on April 18, 2023 9:29AM
  • MafiaCat115
    MafiaCat115
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I'm amazed by how good the house looks, the one thing that really could bring it together would be if you could change the masthead and the color of the sails. It feels too Covenant-themed. I know it's moored and in Galen and was likely made in High Isle, but I'd love for there to be the option to fly Dominion or Pact colors.
    Still hoping that one day hair dyeing will be an option. We know it's canon in universe already thanks to a book in the Manor of Masques! (House of Reveries: The Troupe)
    Proud owner of a Morrowind Banner of the 6th House (back when it actually meant something)
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'm amazed by how good the house looks, the one thing that really could bring it together would be if you could change the masthead and the color of the sails. It feels too Covenant-themed. I know it's moored and in Galen and was likely made in High Isle, but I'd love for there to be the option to fly Dominion or Pact colors.

This is also interesting because the flavor text said you can sail it to Davon’s Watch/Daggerfall/Vulkhel Guard, unless I’m mistaken…?

So yea it’d be cool to theme it like that.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    it would be cool to have different versions for the different alliances yes

however this specific ship is a covenant ship like the Dreadsail Reef entrance ship and the Silver Swan from the high isle zone story. it looks like the same model with tiny differences like the house windows being transparent.

there's no new similar sized aldmeri dominion ship and if there was one i don't believe it would simply be the same ship with yellow and an eagle instead of blue and the lion.

there is a new i assume dunmeri ship in the Necrom harbour, but is this an ebonheart pact ship with a dragon at the front and red sails? probably not the same ship shape either.

miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • PDarkBHood
    PDarkBHood
    ✭✭✭
    WOW, what a ship!!! Instant buy, no questions asked!!! (well, just a couple of questions...)

Love the 'see through' windows in the captain's quarters, ginormous immersion, really have the feeling that the ship is moving, but stable so you wont get motion sick. HOWEVER, the windows in the Crew's Quarters are not 'see through' windows or they are too dirty to look at anything. I think they are not 'see-through', anyway to change this?? This is the only drawback about the ship. Really love the steering wheel, you can chart your course to one of three destinations!!! Very cool, but please have a re-entry point so we can enter the ship from all three destinations.
  • AndreNoir
    AndreNoir
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed. There is no entrance overlook nest on a mast, no real surroundings and no even High Isle destination. It's a VERY stange ship that can go only in 3 ports
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AndreNoir wrote: »
    I'm disappointed. There is no entrance overlook nest on a mast, no real surroundings and no even High Isle destination. It's a VERY stange ship that can go only in 3 ports

if you're referring to the crows nests you can in fact go to all three by interacting with the rope ladders at the sides of the ship

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit disappointed it is so Daggerfall Covenant themed, instead of being more neutral.

Sure, DC aren't the only ones that uses blue or lions as their symbol, but in ESO it's hard to look at something that is both blue and has a lion on it and don't think DC.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • MafiaCat115
    MafiaCat115
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit disappointed it is so Daggerfall Covenant themed, instead of being more neutral.

Sure, DC aren't the only ones that uses blue or lions as their symbol, but in ESO it's hard to look at something that is both blue and has a lion on it and don't think DC.

Heck, even if they just made the sails white instead of blue. It's easy enough to ignore the lion head on the front of the ship.
    Still hoping that one day hair dyeing will be an option. We know it's canon in universe already thanks to a book in the Manor of Masques! (House of Reveries: The Troupe)
    Proud owner of a Morrowind Banner of the 6th House (back when it actually meant something)
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Heck, even if they just made the sails white instead of blue. It's easy enough to ignore the lion head on the front of the ship.

Yup, having a bit of blue? Fine. Lion headfigure? Fine. The ship painted blue, with blue sails and lion headfigure? Might as well just put the Daggerfall Covenant flag all over it.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    it's a daggerfall covenant ship because last year's dlc was breton themed.
    the ship's model is used more than once in High isle.

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    it's a daggerfall covenant ship because last year's dlc was breton themed.
    the ship's model is used more than once in High isle.

Might be, but a ship house has been requested for years, and the only other ship like house we got, the Aldmeri Grotto, has been commented on how it's very Aldmeri themed.

People wanted a neutral ship.
  • Gruumsh1
    Gruumsh1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could you put Spare Pact/Dominion Ballista Figurehead furnishings on the Lion prow to cover it up? Not sure if that part of the ship could be furnished....
    Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Miiighty Gruumsh!
  • MafiaCat115
    MafiaCat115
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gruumsh1 wrote: »
    Could you put Spare Pact/Dominion Ballista Figurehead furnishings on the Lion prow to cover it up? Not sure if that part of the ship could be furnished....

I'll have to see how that works on PTS, though I'm not sure if they'll be big enough. Hope that I have the figureheads unlocked.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest turn offs: loading screens, only one weather type (sunny), size (far too big), daggerfall theme and no rocking for distant views, makes it slightly less immersive.

Overall it's fantastic, but could have been perfect.

@ZOS_Kevin hoping for more weather types to be added, at least..
    Edited by Shagreth on August 10, 2023 7:00AM
  • boushhdcub17_ESO
    Shagreth wrote: »
    Biggest turn offs: loading screens, only one weather type (sunny), size (far too big), daggerfall theme and no rocking for distant views, makes it slightly less immersive.

Overall it's fantastic, but could have been perfect.

@ZOS_Kevin hoping for more weather types to be added, at least..

Notably, in the Crown Store, they also released a Sea Elf furnishing pack which includes a ship's prow piece. I wonder if it completely fits over the current piece. Hmm. Anyone tried out both on PTS?
  • boushhdcub17_ESO
    Can the ship (house) be "re-boarded" from the three ports of call? I've looked all over the maps and only see a way to enter the house (except for directly porting, of course) from Galen.
  • LaughingGremlin
    LaughingGremlin
    ✭✭✭
    I really like this Ship! I especially like that you can go to 4 different ports (if you include the default port). It would be nice if the 3 other ports included a small boat to get back to the ship; I'm nip picking but that would increase the immersion. The size of Fair Winds is another plus. I have Patherfang Chapel, and this player home is way smaller, so I can definitely see filling up this ship will be easier.
  • gary.mcleodeb17_ESO
    Initially, I was filled with regret about buying The Fair Winds. A huge issue for me was that the scenery in the distance is blurry, I've played about with the settings to no avail. Other things, (many already mentioned) disappointed me too, still, it's early days, I'm in no hurry to furnish it and will take my time. So far, I've used the Chronometer of the Tribunal to set the time to midnight, it looks beautiful at night, rather peaceful, with the sounds of creaking wood adding to the immersion of being on board a wooden hulled 'ship of the line'. I've added navigation lights port (red) and starboard (green) in the form of Hlaalu Salt lamps set to red and green. The gun deck, or rather Ballista deck, after a quick visit to Cyrodill furnishing vendor, is now equipped with a selection of (Covenent) Surplus Ballista, and Surplus Lightning Ballista at each gun port. The crew so far, Bastian at the helm, Ember navigating and Sharps prowling the Ballista deck. It's going to take a lot of time to furnish this vessel. and no doubt will prove challenging. Uniquely, this vessel will form part of the All Flags/Three Thrones Navy, being free to navigate all waters, regardless of faction. Ahoj!
    Cheers!
    Edited by gary.mcleodeb17_ESO on August 11, 2023 10:42AM
    Chilli Chillama of Chillrend.

Language is the source of misunderstandings.
    'The Little Prince'
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“Say to yourself first thing in the morning: I shall meet with people who are meddling, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, and unsociable. They are subject to these faults because of their ignorance of what is good and bad.” Marcus Aurelius.

The grabbing hands
    Grab all they can
    All for themselves after all
    It's a competitive world
    Everything counts in large amounts

Depeche Mode
  • evymyu233
    evymyu233
    ✭✭✭✭
    i presume our guild(ep) rob this ship from sarmant
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it, beautiful ship. Big TES2 Daggerfall vibes (you can get a ship as a house in that game), so it was a no-brainer for me.

I wish that I could sail to/disembark in more locations. Wayrest would have been great. I don't know how viable that would have been to implement, though.

Overall, fantastic. Thanks so much.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, one of my biggest turn offs from a home is internal loading screens (doors) as it completely breaks immersion and flow of the home.

This is good to know so I don't waste my time touring it, because multiple loading screens in a house is a major deal breaker for me. I've passed by houses I otherwise would have enjoyed because of this and hope they take this into consideration when designing new homes.
    PCNA
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, one of my biggest turn offs from a home is internal loading screens (doors) as it completely breaks immersion and flow of the home.

This is good to know so I don't waste my time touring it, because multiple loading screens in a house is a major deal breaker for me. I've passed by houses I otherwise would have enjoyed because of this and hope they take this into consideration when designing new homes.
    Exactly. They've given us doors, the tech is there, why not just put those, why does it HAVE to have a loading screen? I simply don't get it.
  • Rageypoo
    Rageypoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be pretty cool if the ships sails changed color depending on where you dock at (using the port feature at the helm) or just being able to set it manually. If it is used as a guildhall, having white sails and then flying "the colors" by putting alliance flags on the crows nest would be extra sweet.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Background is blurry and a little bit of immersion breaking. I would be much more happy if we could change it or the ship was just in the middle of nowhere. So only water in background.
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I discovered, completely by accident, that you can climb the riggings to get to the crow's nests... hell of a view from up there.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »
    Background is blurry and a little bit of immersion breaking. I would be much more happy if we could change it or the ship was just in the middle of nowhere. So only water in background.

This is why I'm not buying it though I really wanted a ship house. The misty/blurry island and horizon view, and visible circle around the ship, ruins everything about it for me.