The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

[SUGGESTION] Vampire debuffs depending on exposure to sun

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
Could it be interesting to have the currently existing vampire debuffs (specifically those at stage 4) be reduced or eliminated when fighting at night, inside dungeons or in shadow? What do you think?

[Modified to highlight that I talk about reduction of currently existing debuffs. NOT about the addition of further debuffs]
Edited by AnduinTryggva on April 29, 2023 9:37AM
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vampire blood line in ESO has no weakness to sunlight. So this makes no sense.
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only lesser Bloodlines are effected by Sunlight.

If anything the skills should just grant buffs like Major Savagery and Major Prophecy when slotted to make it more worthwhile to utilize Vampire-Only abilities at higher stages.
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on April 28, 2023 3:43PM
    Options
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only debuffs in sunlight for vampire should be cosmetic / Overland related. Overland NPCs already refuse to interact with monstrous vampires, maybe extend that to hostility while in stage 4 and also in sunlight.

Maybe an idle emote of shielding your eyes from the sun, cringing away from it. Kind of the way Serana complains when you're outside with her in the day in Skyrim.

A smoking / burning skin effect that's purely cosmetic could be cool. Again, stage-4 only.

Burning into an ash pile if you die outside in the sun.

Glowing eyes at night.

Just the little things. Can't throw debuffs out of the players' control onto the skill line without offering significantly more advantages. It would get to the point where vampires' viability is dependent entirely on what time you're playing with no middle ground: either completely neutered and useless, or overpowered to the point where it's not fair to non-vampires.

And as RP appropriate as that might be, it would be unanimously hated by just about everybody. Salty vamps during the day, salty victims at night. It would be awful.

And they'd be L O A T H E D in Imperial City. Always night, half of the zone is underground; it'd be a vampire's playground. Probably to the point that non vamps don't even queue in.
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd need to have ZOS program a brightness detection and then put server side calculations to constantly know what exposure each vampire is under. Good luck with that.

Good idea, but unless the game is designed around that very concept, like V Rising is, this idea is not going to be a very good one in practice. The servers are already struggling as is.

Edit: Could go the Oblivion route where weather conditions can effect it, but then you'd have to tie the ingame weather system to the server. Right now weather is client side, not server side. It can be raining and storming on your screen but I see a perfectly clear and beautiful day.
    Edited by Vevvev on April 28, 2023 5:15PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And they'd be L O A T H E D in Imperial City. Always night, half of the zone is underground; it'd be a vampire's playground. Probably to the point that non vamps don't even queue in.

It's not always night in the imperial city. You can actually see the sun when it's day poking out from the dark clouds of the dark anchor above. It's more like how Coldharbour is with its day/night cycle. It's present, but not very noticeable unless you look for it.

Back when the vampire sneak passive was based on the day/night cycle vampires couldn't enter stealth faster during the day in the Imperial City.
    Edited by Vevvev on April 28, 2023 5:54PM
    Options
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    It's not always night in the imperial city. You can actually see the sun when it's day poking out from the dark clouds of the dark anchor above. It's more like how Coldharbour is with its day/night cycle. It's present, but not very noticeable unless you look for it.

Back when the vampire sneak passive was based on the day/night cycle vampires couldn't enter stealth faster during the day in the Imperial City.

Huh. TIL.

Was it the same way in Coldharbor? It'd be so dumb if the day / night cycle there affected vampires there.
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

Huh. TIL.

Was it the same way in Coldharbor? It'd be so dumb if the day / night cycle there affected vampires there.

It did, in fact it effected them regardless of oblivion realm, location, or even if they were in an underground delve.

If the game was at night time vampires entered stealth 50% faster before the rework making it do that regardless of day or night.
    Options
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Could it be interesting to have the vampire debuffs be reduced or eliminated when fighting at night, inside dungeons or in shadow? What do you think?

Sure and werewolves can have a constant debuff similar to fetcher flies from having fleas....

I hated taking constant sun damage in Oblivion when I got vampirism; it's not a fun mechanic and as one who's played vamp in ESO since it was patched into the game I don't think it would be either fun or interesting, just annoying. If any rework is necessary it is the way hunger works. You should be weaker if you're starving not stronger. Give us incentive to feed rather than to starve ourselves like some pasty Imperial City runway model.
    Options
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hell no. This would severely impair a vampire player's fun. In other TES games, you can wait as many hours as you see fit in a matter of seconds, meaning you can make sure you're always out at night as a vampire. ESO has no such function, so vampire players would be at the mercy of the game's clock. My DK is a vampire and I prefer the constant debuffs, which are manageable, than having to worry about the time of the day (and, contrary to what would be expected of a bloodsucker, I actually prefer adventuring during the day, especially since my skin doesn't sparkle).
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
    Options
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mh. I don't suggest to add additional debuffs. It is more like the debuffs that we already get at stage 4 to be only (fully) active in sunlight. Infact it would improve the situation for vampires because when you fight in shadow as stage 4 vampire you get less debuff than right now :)=

EDIT: I see the point that without or with reduced debuffs vampires could be op. I'd be happy with some cosmetics only already btw. At the same time currently few ppl play vampires specifically in a end game group content such as trials etc. because of their issue with heal. Particularly if it is about high stage vampires. This cannot be satisfactory either.
    Edited by AnduinTryggva on April 29, 2023 9:43AM
    Options