Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can you get killed in cities?

BEP
BEP
Soul Shriven
Just found myself dead in the middle of a city after going away 5 minutes. Thought I was safe in the middle of the city... Death recap was greyed out as well so I couldn't see any damage source, quite neat. I just find it weird, since from what I know outside of Cyrodiil or Imperial City or duels, you can't be killed by players. No bounty no nothing, so guards are out of the question, so what was it? Strange stuff.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What city was it? It’s unlikely but possible someone led an enemy inside, happens with wayshrines.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you had a bounty, and afk'd then a guard could have come up and accosted you

you only have like 20 seconds to choose an option before the guard automatically starts to attack you, and if they killed you, you would then come back and not have a bounty (because the guard automatically took gold to pay a bounty)
    Soarora wrote: »
    What city was it? It’s unlikely but possible someone led an enemy inside, happens with wayshrines.

yeah its going to depend, most cities with guards its impossible to do this (the guards would aggro and kill the hostile enemy), also impossible to do this if the city has an inner area (grahtwood elden tree for example)

i would also think most cities are generally far enough from enemy spawns that the enemy would tether before they got too close to the city anyway
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some scripted spawns from quests like assassins and werewolves in Glenumbra main city.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can die in a city.

Functionally they're the same as other PvE maps, the only differences are that usually no enemies spawn there and there's invincible guards who will attack enemies as well as players with a bounty. You cannot be attacked by other players unless you agree to a duel, but that doesn't mean you can't die from other things.

Sometimes enemies will spawn in cities if you (or nearby players) are on certain quest steps, they're usually not hard to kill but if you ignore them long enough they'll kill you.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you a Necromancer and did you have your minion with you when you went to town, because that will flag you?
    PCNA
  • BEP
    BEP
    Soul Shriven
    Soarora wrote: »

I was at the cooking fire at Vivec City.
    Are you a Necromancer and did you have your minion with you when you went to town, because that will flag you?

No, just a nightblade. Haven't made a necro yet, but in-game tips told something about necros having illegal or criminal abilites.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My initial ideas are the same as above.
    • If you commit a crime, you can wind up dead. (But I think you ruled that one out.)
    • Certain quest-related fights happen in cities, and bystanders can get involved.
    • In theory, enemies can come into cities. In practice it's rare, but not impossible.

Also, some cities just aren't safe zones. This includes some that you can eventually turn safe via doing a quest. Such quests seem particularly common in AD base-game territory.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on April 29, 2023 1:11AM
  • Mr_Jord_Joe
    Mr_Jord_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    BEP wrote: »
    Just found myself dead in the middle of a city after going away 5 minutes. Thought I was safe in the middle of the city... Death recap was greyed out as well so I couldn't see any damage source, quite neat. I just find it weird, since from what I know outside of Cyrodiil or Imperial City or duels, you can't be killed by players. No bounty no nothing, so guards are out of the question, so what was it? Strange stuff.

It happens when you die in BG when it ends, you spawn dead in the city, it happens during DGs and you leave it in some circumstances...
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been drawn into other people's criminal behavior while afk and guards killed me. That is usually a sorc pet jumping into a fight, though.
  • BEP
    BEP
    Soul Shriven
    It happens when you die in BG when it ends, you spawn dead in the city, it happens during DGs and you leave it in some circumstances...

Oh, I think this was it! I think I just finished the daily BG before going afk. Don't remember any dying at the end but maybe didn't notice with the leaderboard on the screen. Didn't know that could bug you and spawn you dead, thanks for the answer now my curiosity is sated.

And thanks anyone else who chimed in.