The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[REQUEST] Introduce ranked point losses each day

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
Currently high rank players have extremely little incentive to expose themselves to the risk of losing a match and losing points.

So how could we get these players to queue regularly?

Maybe this is a possibility:

I think points should tick down each day. The quantity is to be determined but should exceed the maximum loss possible if a player does not queue and win a ranked match within a given number of days.

For instance the daily loss could be set to 60 so that after three days a non playing player would lose 180 points.

To counterbalance this there should be a minimum win on a won game irrespective of any other considerations involving limiting the win points. For instance the minimum win points could be set to let's say 20 so that a player could generate 60 points per day on three net wins minimum countering the point loss per day.

This is just an example and maybe some other numbers would be better.

But in this way we could maybe have players that don't sit on their won points through a season.
Edited by AnduinTryggva on April 24, 2023 7:14PM
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For instance the daily loss could be set to 60 so that after three days a non playing player would lose 180 points.

I like your idea but I think it's still better to lose 180 points without playing than trying and lose -300 points in 2 bad matches. :smiley:

When you are on top 2% you get 0 to 1 point on every win, and you'll always lose -150 points even when you are on top 50% or below. The problem is that the whole system is mediocre. So, if you lose points by not playing it in fact would help high ranked players to get more points.

Let me try to explain... When I'm on top 2%, like all other players, I usually stop playing, because I'll have a lot to lose and nothing to win. So, if I'd lose 180 points not playing in 3 days it would be less risky than playing and I'll get to lose some, that will help me to get more, without giving points to another player.

I would just stay still, as usual, waiting to drop position, so I get an higher chance to get more points.

I really think that your idea is great, but the whole system is still very corrupted. Recently I even got -300 points removed from my score in 2 matches that I won. So, they really need to start stealing so many points or guarantee some points on victories. Otherwise it's a system designed to motivate players to not play much.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think with some right tuning of the numbers this might play well.

Anyhow I think losing 150 on a lost match is far too high.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dont the ranks for the season get reset every 30 days for the competitive play? so how would 60 days work to lower peoples rank when that would be the start another season 2 seasons after the current season? lol

the ranking system definitely needs work, but in the current 30 day seasons, the time of losing points does not make sense with the amount you suggested
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I did not suggest numbers. I gave numbers to illustrate the principle behind it.

Also I don't quite understand how you come up with 60 days?

Of course within the 30 days for each day points should be lost which should have to be recovered by winning matches.

Instead of default 50 point losses per day one could also have default 100 points per day so without playing one would lose up to 3000 points. Whatever seems appropriate.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I did not suggest numbers. I gave numbers to illustrate the principle behind it.

Also I don't quite understand how you come up with 60 days?

Of course within the 30 days for each day points should be lost which should have to be recovered by winning matches.

Instead of default 50 point losses per day one could also have default 100 points per day so without playing one would lose up to 3000 points. Whatever seems appropriate.

i might have misread your OP lol

i re-read it and saw it said daily loss of 60 points, i think when i skimmed initially i thought it said daily point loss after 60 days (if you take like half of the words out of your sentence im pretty sure it says that lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    This would unfairly disadvantage players that can only log on and play one or two times a week. If the top players stop playing to hold their lead then it's easier to catch up to them.
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you won't catch up 2750 points if you play only once a week.
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    you won't catch up 2750 points if you play only once a week.

Probably not, but you'll get in the top 10% if you're better than the competition.
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....