The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Anyone try a Melee Weapon Focused build?

Cheveyo
Cheveyo
✭✭✭✭
What I mean by "melee focused" is a build that revolves almost entirely around weapon abilities. So as few class, world, etc. abilities as possible. Maybe one or two per bar, max, to gain certain benefits and stat boosts.

I'm wondering if it was pve solo viable or if you found yourself severely lacking in some field that kept you from soloing things you'd normally be able to.

I'm also wondering which class would benefit this kind of build most. It would have to be a class with the most passives that give general buffs, instead of relying on a specific ability.

For example, Sorcs get a 6% cost reduction to "non-core combat abilities" which I'm assuming weapon abilities would fall into. Which would be perfect for this build. They also get +2% dmg for every sorc ability slotted, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for here.

I'm thinking Warden might be the best choice for this, but I'm not sure.

Wardens get +12% stam and mag recovery if an animal companion skill is slotted. Slotting Falcon's Swiftness and switching to the Bird of Prey morph would get you the recovery boost, plus minor berserk at all times. Bull Netch, on the other hand, can give you the recovery passive, but also regen more stamina and give you Major Brutality for 25 seconds. On top of that, you get the benefit of the passive that heals you for a small amount every time one of the abilities ends.

They also get a small amount of resistance for every frost ability slotted, but that probably wont add much in the end and wont be worth losing a slot to. Maybe as a bonus to the self heal from Polar Wind or Arctic Blast.

You'd also get a flat +2% boost to damage. Not much, but it's something. And maybe slotting Lotus Blossom on the second bar would be good. Heal for every light or heavy attack, plus get Major Savagery.

I can't really decide on the race, either. The only races that don't seem like they'd fit well are the Magicka focused ones and Argonians. (But then you could also build a magicka version of this build and focus on Destro Staff, which you would then gain a fair amount of benefits from being Altmer or Breton. This would let you use Ice Staves and you'd get +12% damage instead of 2% as a Warden)

I would, of course, be using the Red Eagle's Fury set for this build, to start with. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Red+Eagle's+Fury+Set
Edited by Cheveyo on April 26, 2023 12:21AM
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going for a melee weapon focused build, I'd suggest Redguard for the Race. They have 8% cost reduction on weapon abilities, including weapon ultimates!
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a classic stamsorc to me, mine is also a redguard so good synergy with weapon lines and no need for any additional sustain tools. Basically only non weapon skills are surge and crystal fragment/hurricane depending on a concrete scenario. Perfectly capable of everything soloable or 4 man, arena trifectas etc.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a classic stamsorc to me, mine is also a redguard so good synergy with weapon lines and no need for any additional sustain tools. Basically only non weapon skills are surge and crystal fragment/hurricane depending on a concrete scenario. Perfectly capable of everything soloable or 4 man, arena trifectas etc.

You beat me to it. I've run a DW/2H and a 2H/2H stamsorc and both are weapon-dominant and very strong DDs. And other than hurricane and crystal weapon or frags, everything else is mostly weapon skills with trap/heal
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    For example, Sorcs get a 6% cost reduction to "non-core combat abilities" which I'm assuming weapon abilities would fall into. Which would be perfect for this build. They also get +2% dmg for every sorc ability slotted, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for here.

Just a heads up, core combat abilities are universal combat actions: Block, Bash, Roll Dodge, Break Free, Sneak.
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk