Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Vampirism Fix: Now Lets Make It Useful/Interesting Again

NordJitsu
NordJitsu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
This thread is not to talk about the recent changes to vampirism. Instead, I would like to suggest further changes to make the skill line both more fun to play from a roleplaying perspective and more useful from a competitive standpoint.

STAGES

First, I would like to see an additional cost/benefit analysis for the Vampire stages. Since the cost reduction has been nerfed, it seems the majority of vampires feel that Stage 4 is not worth the reduction in ability costs (due to decreased health regen.)

I would like to see the following changes implemented:

1. The percent extra fire damage taken is dependent on stage. From 20% more fire damage at stage 1 to 60% more fire damage at stage 4. This would be in line with past Elder Scrolls titles and also make the choice of stage more meaningful.
2. The abilities not only decrease in cost, but also increase in effectiveness at Stage 4. These could be marginal increases (more damage, longer duration, ect.) or substantive increases (Vampire Drain affects two targets instead of one, ect.)

STALKERS OF THE NIGHT

I think that Vampires should be more affected by the day night cycle. This would add an interesting dynamic to PvP where Vampire players are relatively weak during the day, and shy away from fights, but become quite fierce at night.

Here's specifically what I'd like to see:

1. Dark Stalker ONLY works at night. During the day, Vampires move at the same stealth speed as everyone else.
2. Vampire abilities become more potent at night (this would be either/or with number 2 from above, not both.)
3. Health regen is dependent on day/night. This would be more consistent with past Elder Scrolls games where vampires take damage during the day and/or have lower health regen during the day. You could either remove the Health Regen dependency from the stages or keep that and make it so that health regen is always as if in stage 1 at night.

Thoughts?
@NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good ideas

Sadly I don't see it happening - most likely we'll see more ham-handed nerfs that mostly affect PvE ability usage and don't actually fix the core problem with ultimate cost reductions.
    Edited by ChairGraveyard on May 5, 2014 6:35PM
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The design phase is over....it is balancing now.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    They are not going to change it, if u dont like it consider finding another game ... thats what i am going to do.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Such pessimism.

They've made big changes in the past, so I'm not sure why there's such doubt.

Game has been out for a month and they've already fixed the biggest problem with PvP. There's a massive new content patch coming. Quests get fixed weekly.

Cheer up people.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First , the stronger the debuffs , the stronger the buffs a vampire should get.

Also this would be acceptable if vampires could become OP monsters at night.

The nights in ESO are much shorter than the days.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    This thread is not to talk about the recent changes to vampirism. Instead, I would like to suggest further changes to make the skill line both more fun to play from a roleplaying perspective and more useful from a competitive standpoint.

STAGES

First, I would like to see an additional cost/benefit analysis for the Vampire stages. Since the cost reduction has been nerfed, it seems the majority of vampires feel that Stage 4 is not worth the reduction in ability costs (due to decreased health regen.)

I would like to see the following changes implemented:

1. The percent extra fire damage taken is dependent on stage. From 20% more fire damage at stage 1 to 60% more fire damage at stage 4. This would be in line with past Elder Scrolls titles and also make the choice of stage more meaningful.
    2. The abilities not only decrease in cost, but also increase in effectiveness at Stage 4. These could be marginal increases (more damage, longer duration, ect.) or substantive increases (Vampire Drain affects two targets instead of one, ect.)

STALKERS OF THE NIGHT

I think that Vampires should be more affected by the day night cycle. This would add an interesting dynamic to PvP where Vampire players are relatively weak during the day, and shy away from fights, but become quite fierce at night.

Here's specifically what I'd like to see:

1. Dark Stalker ONLY works at night. During the day, Vampires move at the same stealth speed as everyone else.
    2. Vampire abilities become more potent at night (this would be either/or with number 2 from above, not both.)
    3. Health regen is dependent on day/night. This would be more consistent with past Elder Scrolls games where vampires take damage during the day and/or have lower health regen during the day. You could either remove the Health Regen dependency from the stages or keep that and make it so that health regen is always as if in stage 1 at night.

Thoughts?

1) The stage changes seem fine for someone who plans on sitting in stage one or something, the issue would be feeding times and whatnot... having to find a kill every hour to maintain a balanced state would get old relatively fast. Furthermore, why 60% fire? Why not stage one 20%, stage two 30%, stage three 40% and stage four 50%
    2) Sure why not, the issue is there has to be a degree of balancing when it comes to this otherwise rolling in stage 4 without any negative repercussions will make everyone complain.

I disagree with being week during the day, a well fed vampire is immune to daylight and still has access to all of their abilities, passive or otherwise, despite the sun. I can see something along the lines of 'as your stages increase you become more bloodthirsty but also more vampiric and because of this shy away from the sun' like prior games had.

1) Dark Stalker is already a niche passive, I'm going to say no, simply because there's not much point for it.
    2) And to balance it out they will be less potent during the day? With stage one being neutral with further stages branching out?
    4) In Morrowind you didn't actually regenerate any hp as a vampire regardless of stage however in Skyrim you got a simple weakness stunting your regeneration and whatnot. So interesting concept but I'm not sure about the specifics.
    Edited by The_Sadist on May 5, 2014 11:37PM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums