The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Still about the hideous ranking system

NeKryXe
NeKryXe
✭✭✭✭✭
Looks like they already changed something in the ranking system, probably yesterday, but now it's even worse... much, much worse.

I just lost -150 points by winning a match. I was right now in a match against a higher level player, I had 3 patrons favoring me, a deck much stronger than the opponent and more prestige points. I was playing Rajhin and I had a Shadow's Slumber and a Jarring Lullaby. Since I picked a Bag of Tricks and the opponent had to discard 3 cards, he decided to resign. Which was perfectly normal since there was no way he could win. But, instead of getting the usual 1 to 10 points, -150 points were taken from my score.

This is absolutely insane! We need answers and transparency regarding this system. We need to know how this thing really works. It's like being constantly playing with cheaters, but the cheater is the system. Hateful! Really hateful! Please give us answers about the rating system. Why so much secrecy regarding this issues?

Edited by NeKryXe on April 5, 2023 9:36PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a bug.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    That sounds like a bug.

I don't know. The match wasn't long and I didn't get time penalty. So, there was no mistake, the system recognized my victory but took -150 points form the score anyway. But bugged or not this is really wrong to happen on ranked matches.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    That sounds like a bug.

I don't know. The match wasn't long and I didn't get time penalty. So, there was no mistake, the system recognized my victory but took -150 points form the score anyway. But bugged or not this is really wrong to happen on ranked matches.

A lack of time penalty just means it recognizes that you completed the match, not that you won. It's not a normal part of the ranking system to take points for a win. You should submit a bug report.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 6, 2023 8:29AM
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a bug.

A lack of time penalty just means it recognizes that you completed the match, not that you won. It's not a normal part of the ranking system to take points for a win. You should submit a bug report.

But I won. That's a sure thing. So, I was mentioning that I didn't get the time penalty because it wasn't some bug that misunderstood the one who quit. The system knew that I won and I wasn't the one resigning, yet it took me -150 points anyway.

This is the first time I got -150 points removed this way, but it's not the first time this system cheats. We all know that. I've been cheated many times when a match doesn't launch and I get both time penalty and -150 points removed without even chose any patrons or anything. That problem has been reported since release and still happens sometimes. This one, if it's another bug, it's a new one, at least for me.

They should be more careful with the ranked matches. And never remove -150 points to any player when a match doesn't start or the player didn't lose. In fact, they shouldn't remove -150 points in any circumstance. That would be safer.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a bug.

But I won. That's a sure thing. So, I was mentioning that I didn't get the time penalty because it wasn't some bug that misunderstood the one who quit. The system knew that I won and I wasn't the one resigning, yet it took me -150 points anyway.

It may have registered that you did not quit. But it did not register your win. That's why you had not experienced that before, it is not supposed to do that. I wouldn't be able to tell you the reason why, but if you submit a report about it with the approximate time it happened, perhaps zos can investigate and fix it.

I agree that -150 points is too steep when wins count for so few points.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a bug.

It may have registered that you did not quit. But it did not register your win. That's why you had not experienced that before, it is not supposed to do that. I wouldn't be able to tell you the reason why, but if you submit a report about it with the approximate time it happened, perhaps zos can investigate and fix it.

It just happened again. Exactly the same way. I was winning, the opponent resigned and I got -150 points removed from my score. So, clearly it is something new.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a bug.

It just happened again. Exactly the same way. I was winning, the opponent resigned and I got -150 points removed from my score. So, clearly it is something new.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin

Can you confirm if this bug is known? Players shouldn't be losing points for a win.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @NeKryXe I'll take it upon myself to apologise to you for these goings ons. You previously have had some really strange point gain when only taking one point per win. It's not fair and it's not right.

My opinion is that whatever the algorhythm is that decides point distribution has become broken because you win too much. So maybe there is something like a "underflow" or "overflow" error. Obviously, I have no proof of this idea. It's just one possible explanation and, to me, it makes more sense than the idea that you are really losing these games and just don't realize it. If you win, you know!

Time and time again the community on this board has talked about the ranking system. I genuinely hope that the designers don't understand the rank system to be a fun feature.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Personofsecrets After that loss of 300 points on victories that I described, I don't know if I got unmotivated or just unlucky but I went straight the bottom of the rank. At that time I remember thinking that the good thing about reaching the bottom is that now I would score a lot of points. In my first win at the bottom of the ranking, I gained +1 point. HAHAHAHAHAH! I didn't even care, I just found it hilarious! :smiley: After that absurdity, in the next game I think I got +7, and it wasn't until my third or fourth game while in that position that I started getting more than +50 points.

However yesterday and today, it has been quite variable. I managed to rise again to the top 2% always receiving more than +20 points in each game. I even got +140 points once. Incredible! This classification system is so strange! But it seems like it helps to go to the bottom once in a while.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just one possible explanation and, to me, it makes more sense than the idea that you are really losing these games and just don't realize it. If you win, you know!

To clarify, I am not saying the player doesn't recognize that they won. I am saying the server didn't for whatever reason. That's clearly an error by the server.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 9, 2023 8:13PM
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ranking system is made to repell players. I wonder if this is the entire purpose of this system: To convince players that it is not worthwile to play ranked matches so that only the real hardcore players remain...

It is just difficult to impossible to understand why sometimes you get zero points for a win but basically ALWAYS lose 150 points.

It is enough to lose 2 matches to drop several hundres places while you have to have a winning streak of 5+ matches to climb back up.

It is just an utter annoyance and it is now always the same players who go top. Is this intended?
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a bug.

No such thing as bugs. It's either an enhancement or a feature.
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm having this too since patch. I was ranked 31, lost a couple of matches because of bugs, then lost a couple more, fell down a few hundred points, won a few matches, was rewarded negative points for winning. There seems to be several bugs in ToT since patch.
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had another match fail to start and ranking me down when I accepted it, this has happened to me 4 times this week alone. This bug is some seriously demoralising nonsense. Not only are we immediately placed in Penalty cooldown when accepting a match, but we lose rank because of this bug. Needs to be fixed ASAP and honestly, they should put the entire ranked season on hold.
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine there was a bug that made a random team just win Battleground as soon as they entered the playgrounds, and everyone on other teams got Deserter Penalty. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin are you folks aware of these new bugs in TOT?
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bat wrote: »
    Yes, I'm having this too since patch. I was ranked 31, lost a couple of matches because of bugs, then lost a couple more, fell down a few hundred points, won a few matches, was rewarded negative points for winning. There seems to be several bugs in ToT since patch.

Until now it only happened two times to me. I got removed -300 points from victories since patch. But it shouldn't ever happen.

But I also had many matches that didn't start for no reason. In some I got a few points and in others I lost a lot of points. The loss is always too much.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there's a new way to lose ToT matches:

g9qvrczg6xqx.jpg

None of the players were using the chat. Impressive!