The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Release Tales of Tribute as a Physical Party Game

merpins
merpins
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So I'm not a big fan of tales of tribute in ESO. It's limited in scope, and isn't very fun as just a 2 person game. You also can't really play the game properly without sinking many hours unlocking decks and card upgrades, which is fine if you really like the game, but again, I don't like it in its current version. It just doesn't work that well as a 2-player game, from an enjoyability perspective. However I believe the game has potential as a 2-8 player party game, something you could whip out at home with some friends and play over some drinks. How? Let me explain.

Tales is a 2-person game, but it's pretty much designed as a 4-person party game. Currently, 2 players choose 2 decks each and add them to the pool of decks, along with their patrons, to the game board. You win by having all 4 patrons favoring you, or by getting 40 prestige and then having more than your opponent by the start of your next turn. But this just sounds pretty arbitrary.

Here's how I'd change the rules to include more than 2 players:
1. For each additional player after 2, you add an additional deck to the game, along with its patron.
2. For each additional player, one coin in your had is replaced with the base card you'd start with if you had chosen the additional deck. For example, if there are 3 players and a 5th deck is added, and said deck is Duke of Crows, you lose a coin in your starting deck and gain Peck. Easy.
3. When you gain the favor of a patron, their color goes from Grey (neutral) to your associated color in an online match. For a physical game, patrons are represented with cards, and when you gain their favor, you just take the card and place it in front of you for all to see, placing it back at the center of the game space when it returns to neutral.
4. You still win if you get 4 patrons to favor you.

For a physical copy of the game, you just get all the decks and all their upgraded cards, no rigamarole to getting better cards or extra decks, it's just included in the base game package. I'd also add some base-game cards to neutral (the coin deck), which are added to the deck pool regardless of the number of players: these would be cards that can disrupt play. You pay a couple coins, and you get a card that sits i front of you, and you can use it in response to a specific action your opponent takes. For example, it could be a card that you pay 2 coins for, and when your opponent gains the favor of a patron, you can discard it and it causes the patron to remain neutral. Or one that you can discard at any time to discard a card from the Tavern and have it be replaced. Stuff like that.

Anyway, I think it could be a fun party game. better than many that already exist in the board-game space, but not the best. I'd buy it for 20-30 bucks. The main downside I can see to a physical version of this card game is having to separate the decks at the end, but there are games that make you do that already, not a big step imo.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 11, 2023 3:05AM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the current win conditions could still be applicable to more than 2 players, why make it more complicated?

instead of 2 players choosing 2 decks each, for 4 players just make each person choose 1 deck and keep it with the same win conditions
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't think there would be enough interest to make it profitable. Don't think it will happen.
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has already spent WAY, WAY too much time and resources on ToT.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »
    ZOS has already spent WAY, WAY too much time and resources on ToT.

Where did you get that idea? Why do you think they spent so much time and resources on it?

They released it within the same period of time any other content. Yes it's an impressive addition to ESO and it's by far the best mini game they ever brought to this game, but they didn't take that long. I don't think it's an idea that does justice to the great work they've done.

Regarding the @merpins suggestion, they can always hire another team or company to do that. I'm not imagining that they would use their developers and programmers for this kid of stuff. It's quite common to delegate work on this cases. It even happens with action figures and other stuff. For example, the production and printing of physical editions aren't usually done by programmers and developers. So you don't need to be worried about it. :wink:
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    the current win conditions could still be applicable to more than 2 players, why make it more complicated?

instead of 2 players choosing 2 decks each, for 4 players just make each person choose 1 deck and keep it with the same win conditions

Wasnt suggesting changing the win conditions. Win conditions remain the same: 4 patrons favoring you, or you have the majority of prestige that is also over 40 at the start of your next turn. More decks added would just be to facilitate more players since there would be an increased chance of running out of cards with more people, so to avoid that you'd just add more decks. It'd be fine if they add more cards to the deck pools though, adding ~10-20 more cards to each deck would also solve the deck thinning problem that comes with more players.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest they should only release it when some game mechanics/patrons are balanced. Crow still needs a slight nerf as does Orgnum.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest they should only release it when some game mechanics/patrons are balanced. Crow still needs a slight nerf as does Orgnum.

imho, i think the imbalance of cards or decks becomes less of an issue the moment it becomes a party game with 4+ people. Less of a lose more scenario when your opponent gets better cards, when there are 3 other players that can mess with them.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I would love to see is a mobile game version of Tales of Tribute that you can download on your phone.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that with the rules of the Druid deck, they have signalled that it is very unlikely there will ever be a physical tie in edition of this game. The ordering and calculations that this deck creates with its combos are almost impossible to work out in a tabletop environment, without causing actual fist fights among players.