Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

SE Asia players get Errors 108 / 200 / 334 and increased ping on PC since Jan 25

• RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I did some testing with tracert. If I use a VPN for my own city I get less hops than without and therefore hopefully a more stable connection.

However… I tried different VPN locations to see if I could find the shortest and what I noticed is that for a few of them (Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, Los Angeles) the route all goes through the same IP location in the US after which there is only one more hop to the ESO server. All of the routes going through that particular US location have a timeout from there to the ESO server every time I use tracert. If the connection “enters” the US through another location there is no timeout.

I mentioned this in my reply to my open ticket but was informed by customer service that I need to talk to my ISP for this. I’ve contacted them but so far no reply. Also not sure how my local ISP can help with a connection between a US based server and the ESO server…
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Getting a lot of ping in Cyrodiil since this last week. Located in Japan. Japan time from 7pm on.
  • SxFurey
    SxFurey
    Soul Shriven
    PCNA ESO+ SE Asia player here. I'm on a wired connection with no other users using the same network.

Game performance for this region is utterly ridiculous right now.

I had 370-399ms by just standing idle at the Vivec city wayshrine. Players teleported all around me.

Tried to do Vet DSA with a friend but I had to leave due to massive lag (699-999ms) and skill/barswap/block delays. So no group PVE for me.

I then decided to hit the 6mil dummy at a guildhouse. Skill/barswap delays again. Game froze and then does all the delayed actions in an instant. 699-999ms again. So no DPS parsing for me.

Sure as hell I can't do PVP.

So what's the point in continuing with ESO+ with everything that was mentioned above? I'm left with only easy-mode overland to play. I can't even do the new dungeons.

What we (the players in this region) pay is not equal to what we get.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying to log in for almost an hour and have either been unable to connect, constantly lost connection, or been disconnected while trying to port somewhere. Actually unplayable. This is at 10am US Eastern time.

Honestly, I never had connection problems or ridiculously high ping until a few months ago.

[snip]

[Edited for quit post]
    Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on March 16, 2023 2:58PM
  • SxFurey
    SxFurey
    Soul Shriven
    I'm going to say how bad the ping is right now.

By just standing idle in Bal Sunnar and I have 370 ping. As soon as I start combat with the first boss, ping shot to 650. I'm alone in this instance of the Dungeon with no other people.
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, my local ISP said there’s nothing they can do about what seems to be a faulty connection between a US based server and the ESO server and ZOS CS it’s not their problem so… anyone any ideas?
  • Phoenixotica
    Phoenixotica
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_Bill

Please note that this problem still exists, has now affected me here in the Philippines since the earliest of April. Have been unable to play the last two days of the jester event, and now this event. Had no problems since last December when I started the game until suddenly now. Support ticket for this is: 230406-000039

**UPDATE**
    After being told to speak to my ISP about a connection on the tracert results that is located in the US (not inside the Philippines), I installed a free VPN to appear as though I'm from inside the US. Login and gameplay worked. This is clearly an issue with west coast servers mishandling connections from Southeast Asia.

Please look into this issue and update us at your earliest convenience. Again, unable to play while this is going on.
    Edited by Phoenixotica on April 8, 2023 10:19PM
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_Bill

**UPDATE**
    After being told to speak to my ISP about a connection on the tracert results that is located in the US (not inside the Philippines), I installed a free VPN to appear as though I'm from inside the US. Login and gameplay worked. This is clearly an issue with west coast servers mishandling connections from Southeast Asia.

Please look into this issue and update us at your earliest convenience. Again, unable to play while this is going on.

This is exactly what I’ve been saying (even gave them the ip address of the server that seems to be causing the issue) but so far it has fallen on deaf ears…
  • Phoenixotica
    Phoenixotica
    ✭✭
    This is exactly what I’ve been saying (even gave them the ip address of the server that seems to be causing the issue) but so far it has fallen on deaf ears…

You're STILL dealing with this since January? Oh, for the record, one of the responses from tech support was "well, no one is talking about this in the forums". I then, once again, sent them the link to this thread.

Later, they said "well, I'll pass this info along to the team, and if they find out anything, they'll let you know". I replied that, since this has been going on since January, I think it's more appropriate to start talking about refunds.

I think all those who have this particular issue are due.
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're STILL dealing with this since January? Oh, for the record, one of the responses from tech support was "well, no one is talking about this in the forums". I then, once again, sent them the link to this thread.

Later, they said "well, I'll pass this info along to the team, and if they find out anything, they'll let you know". I replied that, since this has been going on since January, I think it's more appropriate to start talking about refunds.

Yep no changes. I have less disconnects when I use a VPN with a location that has less hops to the server but still have regular lag spikes and every time I use tracert there’s a timeout on the last step, which is from a US-based server location to the ESO server.
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    @RevJJ @Phoenixotica

Who's your Internet provider?

Currently, am on Converge fiber and not using any VPNs and I can play the game just fine (100fps - 240ms - 270ms best latencies) on just a laptop.
    But, there's always the occasional spike in latency usually when client is loading something upon spawning in a new zone
    specially when populated. So, I would not assume that latency you see on the UI is purely routing-wise.

There's really not much you can do with changing your routing and your providers wouldn't bother with that. You have explored VPN locations nearest but there's the Akamai layer of ZOS which you will not know how you are routed because it is supposed
    to be an obscure layer for routing security against DDOS.
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
  • Phoenixotica
    Phoenixotica
    ✭✭
    I'm using PLDT Fiber 400 MBps. Every other part of the internet is fine. The timeouts happen at the Akamai servers, seemingly located in Los Angeles. But, when you use a VPN to route in from anywhere else, logins work perfectly. Based on this and the experiences of others in Malaysia and Singapore, this is a SE Asian issue. It's been going on since January, but started affecting me in April. Expect it to affect you soon as well.
  • Phoenixotica
    Phoenixotica
    ✭✭
    RevJJ wrote: »

Yep no changes. I have less disconnects when I use a VPN with a location that has less hops to the server but still have regular lag spikes and every time I use tracert there’s a timeout on the last step, which is from a US-based server location to the ESO server.

And the punchline is.....one part of the world shouldn't have to purchase a VPN subscription to play their game when other parts of the world do not.
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, we’re three months on and nothing has changed. ESO is only playable with a (paid) VPN and even with that the lag spikes are horrible. Still getting the same timeouts between a US based server location and the ESO server, but I guess my ISP should be able to resolve that, right??
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we’re three months on and nothing has changed. ESO is only playable with a (paid) VPN and even with that the lag spikes are horrible. Still getting the same timeouts between a US based server location and the ESO server, but I guess my ISP should be able to resolve that, right??

@RevJJ

Are you also in the Philippines?
    Who's your provider?

I would try another local ISP and see if there's any difference.
    Local ISPs have their own routing paths so there would most likely be a difference.
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smee_z wrote: »

@RevJJ

Are you also in the Philippines?
    Who's your provider?

I would try another local ISP and see if there's any difference.
    Local ISPs have their own routing paths so there would most likely be a difference.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am not in the Philippines and as mentioned earlier in this topic I have spoken to people in four different countries in SE Asia who all have the same issue. It is not a local ISP issue, the lost connections are between a server location in the US and the ESO server. So there seems to be an issue with data going from that server to the ESO server.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I took a 2 month break, and on my first login back the problem seems to be persisting. Horrendous lag, skills not firing, disconnects. Apologies to the player I abandoned at the dragon due to those abovementioned issues.

Any hope for us? I don't want to use a VPN.
  • MegaKameha
    MegaKameha
    Soul Shriven
    Been redirected here from https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7868350#Comment_7868350 for some unknown reason... because I'm not playing from Asia and had no issue before yesterday after the update.
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    So I took a 2 month break, and on my first login back the problem seems to be persisting. Horrendous lag, skills not firing, disconnects. Apologies to the player I abandoned at the dragon due to those abovementioned issues.

Well it’s been more than three months and nothing has changed. The game is unplayable without a vpn for me and others in the same region. I guess it’s safe to say it’s not high on ZOS’s priority list to help the players affected by this?
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MegaKameha wrote: »
    Been redirected here from https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7868350#Comment_7868350 for some unknown reason... because I'm not playing from Asia and had no issue before yesterday after the update.

“Here’s a link to a different thread that nobody from ZOS has replied to in months”. Seems helpful indeed.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »

Well it’s been more than three months and nothing has changed. The game is unplayable without a vpn for me and others in the same region. I guess it’s safe to say it’s not high on ZOS’s priority list to help the players affected by this?

Thanks for your reply, but yeah, a rather unfortunate attitude for a commercial organisation.