The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Game won't launch on Mac since update.

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We have updated the following FAQ below with further information and possible workarounds for these launch issues.

Can I run ESO on an ARM-based Mac?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ComfortablyDummb
    Aetnaria wrote: »
    Nyseto wrote: »
    I can confirm that forcing an actual resolution (1440x900 in my case) allows ESO to work properly on my M1 MacBook Air. I do have some previously unseen performance issues, but that can be resolved by closing the launcher IMMEDIATELY after hitting the Play button.

In my case the Update 35 ran out of the box, probably because I've been using an app called SwitchResX for years. Like the Display app mentioned above, it allows you to force a resolution instead of using macOS's vague scaling mechanic. I'm also using macOS 12.5 (haven't applied 12.5.1 just yet.)

Can confirm as well that, instead of going the External Display route, can do this to prevent crashes when clicking Play/Logging In. In System Preferences - Displays, change Resolution from Default for Display to Scaled, then change the icon below it from Default to More Space.

I use my Mac with that scaled display set to ‘more space’ by default ever since I got it and ESO still wouldn’t launch. M1 Pro 14 in.

Yes, seems like there's a minimum resolution it will crash if under. If I scale down (larger text) instead of up (more space), it crashes for me. M1 Pro 16" here.

I wonder why the resolution is now an issue.
  • Squatch4x4
    M1 Macbook pro user here with the same issue.

I think it is understandable that ZOS doesn't want to port the game to run natively on ARM it's probably a ton of work they may not have the resources for, but man would it run great and provide a great experience for most if not all current and future Mac players.

I would say what's more annoying is the messaging should be more clear, and they should not use the 2020 announcement as a scapegoat to not fix issues. Fix the existing game and code so it plays on the Mac platform well regardless of CPU architecture, MacOS is going a pretty good job at translating so don't port it. But just fix it so it keeps working, that's way less work and would keep the players happy. It either works on Mac or doesn't, don't leave the Mac players in limbo. The future of Mac is ARM.
  • Coorbin
    Coorbin
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm one of the few (? or only one?) running ESO on an Apple Silicon Mac (through Steam) who never had a problem with this latest maintenance...

I have a fully loaded M1 Max 16" MBP and never noticed any change in behavior with the new patch... it just works...

EDIT: I realize now this is because I never play the game on the built-in display, but always with an external monitor (or multiple external monitors). Whoops. Sorry this comment contributes nothing to the discussion.
    Edited by Coorbin on August 28, 2022 6:59AM
  • btg1974
    btg1974
    Soul Shriven
    All. The solution to use the app Display Menu as recommended by someone previously works to set a resolution to launch the game and then you can default back to your settings.

Even without using Display Menu It will launch on an external monitor (even if an iPad) etc and you can then drag it back back to to the default screen.

I spent some time with Apple Support the other day and they couldn't recommend a solution (but Display Menu works) - it is to do with the resolutions which the default display uses in settings which conflicts with what the launcher window needs (I think).
  • U_D_D_I_N_R
    U_D_D_I_N_R
    ✭✭✭
    Yup it aint working on my mac, its still dry and there gherkins put off a flavour, shouldve put on jalapenos like the Mexicans do with there wild flavours, defo a 4/10 rating not eating a mac again.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad there appears(?) to be a solution for M chip Mac users. Two years ago I started grumbling about this to my sister (who teaches electrical engineering) and she surprised me with a custom PC this past Christmas.

I still use my Mac for work (and this fall I am updating it to the “M” family), but game wise I have switched (it still kills me inside a little).

I just don’t understand how Zos can still say the game is available on the Mac, yet in the same breath not support the Mac client.
  • Asmodai
    Asmodai
    Soul Shriven
    The issue I'm experiencing:
    After pressing 'Play' on the launcher, I get a black eso process window that closes shortly after launch (windowed or fullscreen, doesn't matter).

My setup:
    M1 Macbook Pro 16"

What I do to get around this issue:
    1. Launch at the highest display scaling possible (system preferences > displays > scaled > 'more space'
    2. or Play on an external display

Hopefully, this proves useful for someone.
    Cheers!
  • M_Helder
    M_Helder
    ✭✭
    Sooo, is there a particular reason Bethesda can't just provide us with an option to roll back to an older built, as in the 'before the ARM breaking update'?

It worked absolutely fine with zero issues until I decided to update the Launcher (I know, silly me, right?)...
  • M_Helder
    M_Helder
    ✭✭
    Besides, it has been a month since the first report in this thread and still no hotfix? Which leads to me believe that there are no plans to even make one, we are all basically punished for being your customers.
  • Squatch4x4
    While the "Display Menu" app workaround does allow me to launch and play ESO, the resolution is higher that it used to be and on medium settings I can't hold a decent FPS to play smoothly.

Is this all we get? Is there no effort from ZOS on a quick fix?

BTW, for people using Stadia like me, bad news today as Google is shutting it down in January
    https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/12790109?hl=en
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    Very odd, I now can't launch the game from he launcher. just crashes. I've not encountered this before on my m1. and, of course, I'm out of town. Thankfully Stadia is still here for a while. This is just so awful.
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    Figured out where it crashes. This game will not function at all with built-in panel for laptops. It crashes even with windowed mode. If you plug into an external monitor it works. I'm going to guess is a resolution problem or something with detecting the screen with built-in panels.

I expect no fix nor even a response on this but wanted to give the details. I'm going to hope something better comes a long or something can help in some kind of future.
  • rerikg
    rerikg
    Soul Shriven
    Figured out where it crashes. This game will not function at all with built-in panel for laptops. It crashes even with windowed mode. If you plug into an external monitor it works. I'm going to guess is a resolution problem or something with detecting the screen with built-in panels.

A work-around was found, mentioned on page 4 of this thread:
    xPoisin wrote: »
    HELOOO ALL.... GREAT NEWS FOR ALL OF US :D

GOT THE ISSUE SOLVED FOR YOU... YOU CAN THANK ME LATER...

Follow these steps >
    1. download from AppStore following App > Display Menu --- it is free
    2. install and launch the App
    3. select a fixed resolution from the Aplication in the UPPER MENU BAR
    4. launch and play the ESO...
  • ComfortablyDummb
    rerikg wrote: »

Follow these steps >

Has anyone figured out why this happens, or if there's a line on the settings file that may be causing the issue? I find it odd that just changing the resolution works. I don't see the Mac native resolutions for the 14 in. listed on the available resolutions in-game, is that why?
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭

Follow these steps >

Has anyone figured out why this happens, or if there's a line on the settings file that may be causing the issue? I find it odd that just changing the resolution works. I don't see the Mac native resolutions for the 14 in. listed on the available resolutions in-game, is that why?

Fixed resolution seems to indicate it's some problem with detecting high pixel density (retina.). I don't know why this is not a thing on externals. The game launcher is whacky on Mac and seems to have been for quite a while.
  • ComfortablyDummb

Follow these steps >

Fixed resolution seems to indicate it's some problem with detecting high pixel density (retina.). I don't know why this is not a thing on externals. The game launcher is whacky on Mac and seems to have been for quite a while.

Right, the issue seems to be on retina resolutions (2x) which is why there's no issue on externals because those are 1x. That's essentially what the display menu app is doing. Just curious as to what happened and what broke it.
  • Voiddreams
    Display menu was the only way I could get the game to play on my native MacBook pro. Just upgraded to Ventura and the launcher would not run. So I had to go to my account to download the game. It downloaded a new launcher and is running the patch update. Fingers crossed. I have heard of mouse problems.
  • ComfortablyDummb
    Voiddreams wrote: »
    Display menu was the only way I could get the game to play on my native MacBook pro. Just upgraded to Ventura and the launcher would not run. So I had to go to my account to download the game. It downloaded a new launcher and is running the patch update. Fingers crossed. I have heard of mouse problems.

Update doesn't solve any of our issues, or at least it hasn't for me.
  • Aetnaria
    Aetnaria
    ✭✭
    Latest update didn't make this any worse but also didn't fix it.

I get that they don't want to allocate the massive amount of time and resources required to port an intel mac client to native mac silicon, especially when it still works pretty well (read: way better performance on my current M1 vs my old Intel mac). But not fixing the bug that consistently crashes every ESO client on silicon if you aren't using an external display or messing with the resolution? That lack of motivation matches my lack of motivation to re-up now that my ESO+ subscription has ended.

I will still play, somewhat. But I'm not going to pay for a subscription they don't even provide support for.
  • Squatch4x4

I get that they don't want to allocate the massive amount of time and resources required to port an intel mac client to native mac silicon, especially when it still works pretty well (read: way better performance on my current M1 vs my old Intel mac). But not fixing the bug that consistently crashes every ESO client on silicon if you aren't using an external display or messing with the resolution? That lack of motivation matches my lack of motivation to re-up now that my ESO+ subscription has ended.

I will still play, somewhat. But I'm not going to pay for a subscription they don't even provide support for.

THIS
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    No longer able to play at this point. Takes along time to launch, mouse is broken, screen res is broken. Game crashs after 2 minutes to desktop. Had same issue on my Intel Mac. Yup, they need to take the Mac label off this site and be done with it, just like Stadia.

Funny thing is, I can play on Stadia and have done so since that's what I have. Sigh, so upset. This isn't a great place to be for playing my favorite game.
  • ComfortablyDummb

Exactly. The game ran perfectly fine with Rosetta, all they had to do was not break it. I don't think I would've been as pissed if the game hadn't worked since the beginning, but the fact that it did and then they did something and broke it and refuse to acknowledge it has lost them a customer forever.
  • TheElf
    TheElf
    ✭✭
    This seems like a class-action waiting to happen. Entirely misleading and ZOS needs to buckle down and either drop support for macOS completely (because with their current direction, inevitably they're going to have to) or properly port the game.

The current state of relaying "Supported Hardware" reflects that they support macOS and that is patently false. And it's really not too far of a stretch into the false advertisement category.

I'm used to being locked out of games because developers don't want to go the extra step and make the game work across platforms. I'm even used to seeing ZOS bury their heads in the sand when it comes to game design feedback. But to take it one step further and not acknowledge a very legitimate lifetime-issue for their game makes 0 business sense.

Apple is moving on. Intel is out. Mx chips are in. Get on board ZOS, or get off the pot already.
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    They could be the great MMORPG for Macs, in competition with an aging WoW. But I guess it's another case of penny wise pound fool.
  • rerikg
    rerikg
    Soul Shriven
    So I just saw the Twitch reveal event for Necrom. They mentioned it will be available for PC/Mac. They have a presale for the upgrade which states it's for PC/Mac. The big question is, will this even play on my Mac by the time the game becomes available? Why should I spend money on something that I may not be able to play when it's officially released? If I get the upgrade and it doesn't run at launch time, can I get a refund?

If I knew it would play, I'd spend the money today. But I won't. If I can't guarantee it'll run, why should I? Elder Scrolls Online is no longer supported on any consumer level machine sold by Apple, and some recent problems running on the Mac have been tied to the latest OS version, not the underlying hardware. So even saying it's supported on older hardware is no longer true. The ESO upgrade to run Necrom may itself break the ability to run on any Mac, even with workarounds. They can't keep claiming that Macs are supported when they clearly are not, and then using the lack of users willing to limp along with workarounds as a reason to not support it. They're literally driving away customers.

I'm really torn. I've been willing to use workarounds, but I can't spend that much money on something that may not run. I would have gotten the Deluxe version too. Darn.
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭
    So I just saw the Twitch reveal event for Necrom. They mentioned it will be available for PC/Mac. They have a presale for the upgrade which states it's for PC/Mac. The big question is, will this even play on my Mac by the time the game becomes available?

I have taken a gamble and preordered Necrom, knowing full well that I'm running Apple Silicon (14" MacBook Pro, M1 Max chip) and it may break at any stage. The display menu workaround (as well as occasionally using an external monitor instead) has allowed me to keep playing fairly seamlessly so far. I did note that the Steam listing stated that the DLC was not compatible with Catalina and above -- presumably to ward off ARM-based users.

Gosh I hope they reconsider their support for ARM-based Macs, especially if they're announcing Necrom for both PC and Mac as this could cause all sorts of issues with new purchasers. Honestly, other than the display issue, the Rosetta emulation runs flawlessly for me. :)
  • keithlm
    keithlm
    Soul Shriven
    Loaded the Mac version on my new Mac Mini M2 Pro. It would be running the Mac version through Rosetta.

It seems to work with no noticeable problems. Except the game controller won’t work. The thumb joysticks work but nothing else. I read that is just how the Mac version works.

But I also loaded Parallels and loaded a virtual Windows 11 ARM installation. Then loaded the PC version. That also works with no noticeable problems and the controller fully works.

I can run at 4k with high setting’s and get about 50fps. But I find the controller seems work better at 1440 or 2k. And I can get 100fps using medium and it looks good. I’m happy with how it works. Other than it would be good if they fixed the game controller for the Mac version so I don’t have to run in a virtual windows session.
    Edited by keithlm on March 2, 2023 5:00AM
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that they advertise you can play this game on Mac including upcoming expansions they want you to buy, and they don’t make it abundantly clear through any of those purchasing options that ARM Bases Macs will not be supported, [snip]. Extremely disheartening and my parents who use m1 macs arm chip and bought the game without being told ever once throughout their purchases that ARM would not be supported and could possibly not be played at all on eso without outside 3rd part programs or workarounds. [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 28, 2023 10:03AM
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    And you would think that with all the antitrust investigations in the US and EU in face of the consolidation of the gaming industry, Bethesda / Microsoft would promote a healthy diversity of platforms supported...