The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Partner In Crime: Companions

Gabriel_H
Gabriel_H
✭✭✭
Seriously, WTH?! Why are all the companions such goodey two-shoes?

Everytime I want to do something even remotely shady I have to send them around the corner or I get a disapproving death stare!

"Ooh a Thieves Trove ... Erm, Bastian be a good lad and go away for 10 seconds. Thanks!"

Discuss?!
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on November 29, 2022 2:35AM
  • TheSavage
    TheSavage
    ✭✭✭
    Ember is down to clown with stealing stuff. Haven't tried the Blade of Woe with her around though, suspect she may have limits...

At least most of them don't care about bugs anymore!
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    TheSavage wrote: »
    Ember is down to clown with stealing stuff. Haven't tried the Blade of Woe with her around though, suspect she may have limits...

... off to High Isle I go! :hushed:
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭
    Gabriel_H wrote: »
    Everytime I want to do something even remotely shady I have to send them around the corner or I get a disapproving death stare!

You're 50% incorrect. Yes, Bastian and Isobel are lawful and don't like stealing/killing npc's. At the same time, Mirri and Ember couldn't care less what you steal and from wno.

It's not ESO's fault you run around with the wrong companion during such activities. That choice is yours.
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember is considered the morally flexible one - she wont react to thieving or murder. Mirri will put up with theiving as well but not murder. The ones clearly labelled as more 'moral' in their bio are obviously, you know, morally inclined. Some people like the moral ones as it suits their playstyle - not everyone plays murder-hobo Vestige.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ember is no fun as a partner in crime. When your character gets something wrong she is straight in with there with her snarky comments, saying that she would have done it better, although she is herself incapable of pick-pocketing, robbery, getting a bounty or getting heat.
    PC EU
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    If companion just like everything player do or at least just ignore it, it would be better ))))
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    Ember is considered the morally flexible one - she wont react to thieving or murder. Mirri will put up with theiving as well but not murder. The ones clearly labelled as more 'moral' in their bio are obviously, you know, morally inclined. Some people like the moral ones as it suits their playstyle - not everyone plays murder-hobo Vestige.

Erm, excuse me. My character is very moral. I steal from the rich and give to the poor - namely me! :D
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭
    If companion just like everything player do or at least just ignore it, it would be better ))))

If that's what you're after, you're playing the wrong game. An RPG shouldn't just ignore your behavior. Actions have consequences. You want them to act like pets, but pets don't tank/heal.

Oh, and:
    companion
    Noun
    One who accompanies or associates with another, either habitually or casually; one who shares the lot of another; a mate; a comrade.

WAI as far as I'm concerned.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ember is fine with stealing even blade of woe, but she hate getting caught so bringing her on an DB mission might not be an good idea as unless heist you get bounties if discovered.

Mirri is fine with stealing and getting caught don't bother her but she hate blade of woe even if killing hostile npc in an delve.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the only thing that bothers ember is if you get caught ---- other than that its open season on everyone

first thing i did with her was blade of woe someone and she yelled out " this is so much better than reading " lol
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember doesn't care about murder or stealing.
    Mirri doesn't care about stealing, but doesn't like murder or the blade of woe.
    Bastian and Isobel don't like stealing or murder.

Pick the one that best suits your playstyle and you'll be a lot happier with the system.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 28, 2022 6:39PM
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Very true but I'd still love to have a vampire dark brotherhood member as a companion for those murder hobos and children of the night to play with.
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the only thing that bothers ember is if you get caught ---- other than that its open season on everyone

first thing i did with her was blade of woe someone and she yelled out " this is so much better than reading " lol

LOL that's awesome
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri is fine with morally "wrong" behavior like theft but does not like the murder of innocents. Whenever I am conducting Dark Brotherhood contracts I put her up, otherwise she's out all the time.
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I truly wish there was a companion option for Dark Brotherhood type missions...was disappointed Mirri had a fit when I had to perform a takedown.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I truly wish there was a companion option for Dark Brotherhood type missions...was disappointed Mirri had a fit when I had to perform a takedown.
    Ember don't mind but she don't like that you get bounties and that is easy to get on these missions.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Ember don't mind but she don't like that you get bounties and that is easy to get on these missions.

Yeah, I have to turn her off for those quests. I had a hard enough time getting rapport without losing it because somebody sees me using the blade of woe.
    PS5/NA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Yeah, I have to turn her off for those quests. I had a hard enough time getting rapport without losing it because somebody sees me using the blade of woe.

daily quests give much more significant amounts of rapport than any other source lol

and ember has 3 daily quests that give her the rapport bonus, so out of the 4 current companions was the easiest to rank up rapport lol

daily quests that give rapport is +125 rapport (most other positive and negative sources are 1 or 5 pts, with a few being 10 or 20 pts)
    • mirri gets rapport from the fighters guild daily (may also get rapport from the ashlander daily in vvardenfell but ive heard mixed things about this)
    • bastion gets rapport from the mages guild daily
    • isobel gets rapport from the high isle WB daily and the undaunted guild daily from bolgrul
    • ember gets rapport from high isle delve daily, mages guild daily, and thieves guild heists

embers -rapport from getting a bounty is like -1 or -5, but you can earn +375 rapport per day from dailies
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes unless you mess up a lot its hard to loose companion report much unless you works hard for it

Now I ran into something weird, I did an quest helping an bandit in southern Bangkorai, she said she was an bandit.
    She still reported me looting an thief trove, was sneaking and all the others in cave was hostile enemies.

The king of the Orc's on the other hand did not mind looting one then I the quest taking back the keep.
    I was helping him and he was cool.
  • Mr_DragonSoull
    Mr_DragonSoull
    Soul Shriven
    So I came across this thread and well figured I should add my 2 crowns.
    I love ember I’m doing the TG and DB story line currently on this toon. While the getting caught is annoying I like her comments especially the laughter and the glee of fleeing from the guards.

Some mentioned that she is fine with the BoW this is not true I actually have lost quite a bit of rapport with ember before I realized that’s what was triggering her. I even tested it in an area where I wouldn’t be caught and that still caused me to lose points. I use lootdrop reborn while playing and it showed that along with the experience right after I activated the ability.

I wish they would make a character companion that was just a little more flexible than ember that didn’t mind the BoW and maybe is even a part of the DB. Like doing guild dailies or guild quests (fighters/mages) make them enjoy when you make poison etc.

Also even though it’s Alcast which is a whole nother subject line, due to the way some enjoy/hate his content, he did make a companion guide and it even lists there that all the companions hate the BoW.
    "I'm a medic not a miracle worker!" -Anyone that has played a healer_______________________________________Yes, I am the one that stole your sweet roll. Just thought you would like to know_______________________________________Former Knight Commander of Exiled Shenanigans Master Vampire-Cured
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love ember I’m doing the TG and DB story line currently on this toon. While the getting caught is annoying I like her comments especially the laughter and the glee of fleeing from the guards.

Some mentioned that she is fine with the BoW this is not true I actually have lost quite a bit of rapport with ember before I realized that’s what was triggering her. I even tested it in an area where I wouldn’t be caught and that still caused me to lose points. I use lootdrop reborn while playing and it showed that along with the experience right after I activated the ability.

I wish they would make a character companion that was just a little more flexible than ember that didn’t mind the BoW and maybe is even a part of the DB. Like doing guild dailies or guild quests (fighters/mages) make them enjoy when you make poison etc.

Also even though it’s Alcast which is a whole nother subject line, due to the way some enjoy/hate his content, he did make a companion guide and it even lists there that all the companions hate the BoW.

i have never lost rapport with ember using the blade of woe, so im not sure why you would have lost rapport unless you triggered one of her other dislikes (in fact just yesterday we had a daily endeavor to blade of woe 10 npcs, ember was with me for all 10 that i blade of woe'd and no rapport lost)

the only times i usually lose rapport with ember is getting caught, or when i accidentally have her out when i was killing time fishing lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Mr_DragonSoull
    Mr_DragonSoull
    Soul Shriven

i have never lost rapport with ember using the blade of woe, so im not sure why you would have lost rapport unless you triggered one of her other dislikes (in fact just yesterday we had a daily endeavor to blade of woe 10 npcs, ember was with me for all 10 that i blade of woe'd and no rapport lost)

the only times i usually lose rapport with ember is getting caught, or when i accidentally have her out when i was killing time fishing lol

Lol I did fishing once and the comment about not being patient enough for that had me dying. But ya I lost I think 1 point when it popped up. I’m gonna do it again today and if it pops up I’ll record the replay. Not sure what would have triggered it cause I wasn’t caught I didn’t get a bounty and I didn’t do anything else.
    "I'm a medic not a miracle worker!" -Anyone that has played a healer_______________________________________Yes, I am the one that stole your sweet roll. Just thought you would like to know_______________________________________Former Knight Commander of Exiled Shenanigans Master Vampire-Cured
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s so messed up…

I would much rather have a companion who was calmly, coldly, even snarkily okay with murder — a character like Elam Drals. Maybe the Argonian will be so? I will probably like him either way. At least he shouldn’t be this overly cutesy bubbly character who goes from worrying about the feelings of chickens to cheering cold-blooded murder… :unamused:
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s so messed up…

I would much rather have a companion who was calmly, coldly, even snarkily okay with murder — a character like Elam Drals. Maybe the Argonian will be so? I will probably like him either way. At least he shouldn’t be this overly cutesy bubbly character who goes from worrying about the feelings of chickens to cheering cold-blooded murder… :unamused:

the "this is so much better than reading" comment is one of her normal "entering combat" dialog lines

using the blade of woe, even though it instantly kills the target, still effectively enters you into combat though very briefly

i dont think ive seen any kind of unique dialog line relating to blade of woe use, and i only think the companion is "happy" about something if they gain +rapport for it, otherwise in my opinion its just a random comment related to their personality lol

a truly dark character would get +rapport from blade of woe use when using it to kill civilians
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s so messed up…

the "this is so much better than reading" comment is one of her normal "entering combat" dialog lines

using the blade of woe, even though it instantly kills the target, still effectively enters you into combat though very briefly

i dont think ive seen any kind of unique dialog line relating to blade of woe use, and i only think the companion is "happy" about something if they gain +rapport for it, otherwise in my opinion its just a random comment related to their personality lol

a truly dark character would get +rapport from blade of woe use when using it to kill civilians

That’s a good point. I wish ZOS would refine the triggers for all the companions and add additional lines as well. Sometimes the inappropriate lines are funny, other times just weird or creepy…
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s so messed up…

That’s a good point. I wish ZOS would refine the triggers for all the companions and add additional lines as well. Sometimes the inappropriate lines are funny, other times just weird or creepy…

i wish you could fully turn them off lol, but they refuse to let us choose a companion reaction setting of "none" lol, minimal is still too much
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master