The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread, "Watch ESO's IGN FanFest Video And Discover The Power Of The Arcanist!"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
qy6kombt2mms.jpg
This is the official discussion thread for, "Watch ESO's IGN FanFest Video And Discover The Power Of The Arcanist!"

"Learn more about the Arcanist class as we reveal one of its powerful new abilities in a video that recently premiered as part of the IGN Fan Fest."
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on March 7, 2023 2:45PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, @ZOS_Kevin ... Help! I am stuck in a loop clicking on that link. Been here for a half an hour. Missed lunch, too!

:wink:
    Edited by Elsonso on February 21, 2023 9:26PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Me too!!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next article will be "How we keep ESO players engaged, click here to find out." :smile:
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Sorry all! Not sure what is happening with Vanilla links today. That's the second time it's happened where it subs the forum link for the article link. It should be fixed now.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries. :smile:
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The final attack shown in this footage, is that black rectangle(the book) around our hands when we fire that beam supposed to happen? Because it looks like a major graphical glitch, I actually thought it was at first. This attack would probably look much better without the book, or with making it much more obvious that it is a book(arcane writing on the cover or something).

Not really fond of yet another resource, but other than that I can't wait to play the new class.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    The final attack shown in this footage, is that black rectangle(the book) around our hands when we fire that beam supposed to happen? Because it looks like a major graphical glitch, I actually thought it was at first. This attack would probably look much better without the book, or with making it much more obvious that it is a book(arcane writing on the cover or something).

Not really fond of yet another resource, but other than that I can't wait to play the new class.

Yeah, I was puzzled by the black box too and thought the beam would look better without. Maybe it was the lighting or angle of the shots or it works better in context of the full cast animation?

I think the crux will be cool, and in some ways not so different than abilities that proc or gain charges, accept it sounds like we’ll have more choice in how to spend those charges. :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 23, 2023 4:04AM
  • Animar111
    Animar111
    ✭✭✭✭
    The black box looks out of place, everything else looks rather cool.
  • kynesgrove
    kynesgrove
    ✭✭✭
    I love big laser beams!

Since others are giving a little feedback, with which I agree.

I think if they give the book a slight floaty movement, it will add to the animation economy of the class skills.
    I adore the pages flipping, but I think it being so stationary while everything else is moving is what adds to its uncanniness.
    • Maybe some green glowing runes or magical lines on the pages/cover.
    • Maybe even making the book have a low render halo highlight outline glow during activation might add emphasis to its form and its textures.
    • The global illumination is making it very dark, it needs to react to light better.
    • The player needs to see its THE magical book, it has some really cool features!

eso-arcanist-concept-books.png

Otherwise it gets lost in the whole animation or even obscures the satisfying "big impact moment" of the ability animation (or VFX that gives it that visceral feedback oomph). And I'm positive that is not the intention and it is still in development I would figure. But I hope they keep in mind: The class abilities needs to look and feel fun, not just cool.

I am extremely excited to play this class myself! I gobble up any information I can find, thank you for sharing @ZOS_Kevin! :)
    (I hope my lack of correct glossary terms didn't hinder my meaning.)
    "The shrine is breathtaking, sitting upon a rise and dominated by many standing stones carved with holy runes. The place truly seems to have been kissed by Kyne's icy breath."
    - Urig the Wanderer
  • Animar111
    Animar111
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ARCANIST is wielding forbidden spells from inciting pages of dark magic.

I think a graphical emphasis should be made around the book the ARCANIST uses while casting these incredible dark spells of destruction and magic.

It would really give this new class a new a realistic feel of incarnating spells from the knowledge gained from within the book while casting.@ZOS_Kevin
    Edited by Animar111 on February 23, 2023 9:06AM
  • Mrfroggy
    Mrfroggy
    Really excited to play this class. I'm hoping a good amount of their spells and toolkit have a eldritch horror vibe with the tentacles and strange green & black color scheme because I'm a big fan of that type of aesthetic.