Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Content research Steps: a beginner's question about immersion

Idhrenor
Idhrenor
Soul Shriven
I am relatively new to TESO. I finished the Daggerfall Covenant main story and ran into a problem - there is SO much content in the game! Now I'm trying to gain strength to complete the Pact and Dominion chains, but there are more additions, DLCs ahead... Please understand me correctly, I love quests and love the lore and atmosphere of TESO. I want to know the history of the land I'm running through to take the daily. But at the same time, doing only quests so that later there is nothing left but daily and event content ... is not the best option.

On the one hand, I want to know the world in which I live. On the other hand, I want to periodically be distracted by side activities, dig archeology, farm anchors, gathering... To return to quests later. But at the same time, many activities are woven into the plot of the add-ons, and on the one hand, I don’t want to put off the pleasure of digging artifacts until the time when I get to Greymoor (it will be very long), on the other hand, I don’t want to miss something if I start this activity ahead of time (I'm just afraid that there are some details there that teach you how to do it right and help you dive, and I'll miss it. For example, I'm still afraid to go to Cyrodiil, because I haven't quite finished the chain of the Coldharbour, and I'm afraid that something will be told or explained to me in the future, and if I start it now, my immersion will not be complete).

I also want to run around DLC locations, but I don't want to lose the atmosphere and immersion. It is important for me to know at least the general concept of the story that goes on in this place where I am walking. But, again, if I complete quests in each location to learn its history in detail, it will be too long. I want to know what location I'm going to, what's happening here, and I don't want to deny myself the pleasure of coming back here one day and saying - "yes, now I'm ready to learn more about this place. NPC, what quest will you offer me?"

I hope you understand what I'm talking about. Closing content completely in sequence doesn't suit me very well, it's long, restrictive and not that interesting for me (you know, there is some sadness in that feeling when you get an achievement for completely closing a zone. It's sad that the story is over. I'm not always up to it ready right away, it takes time).

I think I can do a tour of Tamriel, open locations, chat with NPCs without taking quests. But again, I'm afraid to miss something, but I don't really want to turn the game into work in order to reach a certain territory that interests me.

What do you think is the best thing for me to do? How to approach research? Experienced travelers of Tamriel, please advise!P.S. Sorry for such a long text. I just want to be understood : )
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want the big overarching story, you do need to do the zone quests, which is going to take a lot of time.

However, if you want to explore and get a little flavor for the zone as you explore and do antiquities, you could focus on doing just the delves and public dungeons. Most of them have a short, self-contained story that might help give a snapshot of the region's flavor without spoiling the contiguous zone story.

Alternatively, you could explore Tamriel at the behest of your guilds. The Psijic Order quest will take you exploring all over Tamriel, allowing you to glimpse important locations that you'll quest in later. The Mages Guild and Fighters Guild quests will progress through your alliances zones as a self-contained quest line. Collecting lorebooks and closing dozens to level their skill lines could also give purpose to your wanderings and help explore the lore. Or it might just be a chore.

Hope this helps. Good luck!