Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Launcher still stuck at loading screen

Qyrk
Qyrk
✭✭✭✭✭
My launcher keeps at loading screen and has been a problem after patch 1.05 for me. My workaround was to Right click Launcher>Show Package Contents>game_mac>pubplayerclient>eso that would get into the game. However because there is a new patch and launcher screen is stuck in loading screen, I am pretty much stuck.

I reinstalled the whole game, all 22+gigs of it and thankfully it is now at patch 1.06 (went through the workaround again) but the launcher is still stuck at loading screen. I do not want to keep downloading all 22gigs worth of data everything there is a new patch. Can anyone shed some light?

Edited by Qyrk on May 1, 2014 6:54AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qyrk wrote: »
    My launcher keeps at loading screen and has been a problem after patch 1.05 for me. My workaround was to Right click Launcher>Show Package Contents>game_mac>pubplayerclient>eso that would get into the game. However because there is a new patch and launcher screen is stuck in loading screen, I am pretty much stuck.

I reinstalled the whole game, all 22+gigs of it and thankfully it is now at patch 1.06 (went through the workaround again) but the launcher is still stuck at loading screen. I do not want to keep downloading all 22gigs worth of data everything there is a new patch. Can anyone shed some light?
    Can you confirm you system setup including OS X version and model:

Apple icon (top left of menu bar) > About This Mac > More info…

Can you also confirm exactly at what point it is getting stuck i.e. is it when you try to launch the Launcher, or, when you are in the Launcher but press play?

Were you able to launch and play before 1.0.5?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was reading PC TS section and there are a lot of reports on this (tends to happen after an update for some) after 1.0.6 patch.

There was a post which included a possible solution provided ZOS in this post:

On a Mac it would be:
    ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/liveeu/SavedVariables/ZO_Ingame.lua

for NA Install it will be;
    ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/SavedVariables/ZO_Ingame.lua

Remove or rename ZO_Ingame.lua and try launching the game again.

I wrote in that thread on this for detail;
    The file should be there and is recreated if moved out of the folder/ renamed.

I just tested and removed the ZO_Ingame.lua then launched the game. Everything seemed to be the same, all characters shown, keybindings the same (stored server side I think)

Suggest to move it out of the folder but not to delete so you can replace it if needed, or rename it.

It recreated this file when you log off a character/ quit the game.
    No idea if it works as I don't have the issue but worth a try.

Mostly it seems like a case of just trying multiple times and probably server congestion. But maybe some other issue as above.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Hecubusprimeb14_ESO you will probably get more response in the PC Technical Support section as you appear to be using a PC and the issue may be different.

Also, your post is really hard to read with so much space in it, just to point it out.
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for the suggestion,

Unfortunately, it gets stuck at Loading once you launch the launcher. I tried what you mentioned in moving the lua file, but still the same.

-My current set up:
    13" 2010 MB Pro model
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    OSX 10.9.2 (13C1021).

I guess I'll wait and see if there's any fix for this.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for the suggestion,

Unfortunately, it gets stuck at Loading once you launch the launcher. I tried what you mentioned in moving the lua file, but still the same.

-My current set up:
    13" 2010 MB Pro model
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    OSX 10.9.2 (13C1021).

I guess I'll wait and see if there's any fix for this.
    Sounds maybe like a connection issue. At least you can test these and see if any might help.

I would first of all reboot router and Mac. Then try these one at a time and see if any help. Good luck with it.

Reset the DNS Cache

Step 1: Open the Terminal

Navigate to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Step 2: Flush DNS - Type the following command and hit enter.

Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks): dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Mac OSX 10.7 & 10.8 (Lions) : sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Press Return and enter password at prompt. Then try. or reboot then try.

Uncheck Auto Proxy Discovery

- Navigate to the System Preferences under the Apple Menu.
    - Open up Network in System Preferences. (Usually located in the third row, third icon.)
    - Make sure the network connection with a green dot next to it is selected.
    - Click the Advanced button in the lower right corner
    - From the drop down menu, click on Proxies.
    - In the "Select a protocol to configure" list
    - Uncheck "Auto Proxy Discovery”

Disable OS X Firewall

Also worth ensuring the OS X Firewall is switched off during download and that any router firewall is not blocking it in some way.

System Preferences > Secuirty & Privacy > Firewall

This is in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, It may be slightly different in other versions.

Reset DNCP lease

System Preferences > Network > Select the network you are connected to (indicated by green circle)> Click Advanced > Click Renew DHCP Lease

Change your DNS

Change your DNS settings to a public DNS server (non-ISP).

I used Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

On the Mac, to change the DNS server IP addresses go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced… > DNS

Note the existing ones usually automatically added by your ISP then change them for the Google ones of other you prefer. Remember to Apply changes after clicking OK when done.
  • Khalid
    Khalid
    Hey @Moonraker‌ ,

I've been having the same problem for couple weeks now, gone through every step you mentioned to fix it but still the same problem.

I renamed the main folder and redownloaded the installer, once the new launcher loads up, it gets stuck again in the loading screen.

One night I left the "loading" launcher up all night and went to sleep, on 1.06 patch day, in the morning I found that it had worked and installed the new patch and that's it, never seen it working before or after.

My only way to play is to launch the client itself not the launcher.

- Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro
    - OSX 10.9.2
    - 2.6 Intel Core i7
    - 16 GB RAM
    - Intel Iris Pro + NVIDIA GT 750M Graphics cards
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most likely a network issue between you and the patch server, or errors in version files.

What internet connection are you using i.e. private home router, college or other shared network?

Try the suggestions posted above to try and eliminate network issues your end.

Also traceroute to the patch server:

launcher.bethesda.net

It will vary depending on location.

Unfortunately this seems a widespread issue at least for some players cross platform. Check the forum threads and see if there are any suggestions in any of those.

if you are not sure how to do this then post back.
    Edited by Moonraker on May 3, 2014 8:25PM
  • Khalid
    Khalid
    Here's where it gets interesting, it turned out that the problem is within OSX itself not the network.

I've rebooted into Windows and downloaded it and it works just fine, no problems at all.

The problem is bound to OSX, there is something that freezes the launcher at "loading".
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there Moonraker,

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, none has work and as previously noted, I can only play by going to the eso client and not the launcher.

I hope there is an alternative way to patch new patches and apply it to the game without having to go through the launcher. At least this can serve as temporary fix in the meantime.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khalid wrote: »
    Here's where it gets interesting, it turned out that the problem is within OSX itself not the network.

I've rebooted into Windows and downloaded it and it works just fine, no problems at all.

The problem is bound to OSX, there is something that freezes the launcher at "loading".
    if you look at the suggestions above it may be one of those like DNS needs refresh etc. That can be one difference.
    It also effects PC client also which can be seen from other forum threads so not OS X specific. I also tends to be sporadic i.e. can work fine then after an update or not the problem can start.

I noticed that ZOS finally added ports to open for the Launcher as well as the game client now;
    WHAT PORTS DO I NEED TO OPEN TO ACCESS THE GAME?
    Updated 04/30/2014 10:08 PM Published 02/15/2013 07:46 PM
    To best access The Elder Scrolls Online, players should configure their routers to open the following outbound ports:

TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
    TCP / UDP Ports 49100 through 54000
    source
    So worth getting these open on your router (assuming Apple Firewall turned off for Launcher & ESO) to eliminate one more potential network issue.
    Edited by Moonraker on May 4, 2014 2:55PM
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi
    ✭✭✭✭
    what a load of rubbish

wtb a REAL FIX for the problem without a bunch of generic and wild guesses
    A large yellow rectangle

• Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't advertise for this product or anything, but the pc threads mention ultra surf and it has worked for a lot of people. I went ahead and downloaded something similar - netshade (for mac) and used their proxy.

lo and behold, for the mac client, once you start the launcher, it loaded correctly, almost instantly and i can click Play!!!! How I miss that button! It is a 10 day trial - so we might need to look at other proxy app options until they have a permanent fix for this.
    Edited by Qyrk on May 5, 2014 12:41PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kiwi wrote: »
    what a load of rubbish

wtb a REAL FIX for the problem without a bunch of generic and wild guesses
    Or, you resolve the issue your end on the network. Really check post below yours.

Unless you can rule out known possible issues you wont find a solution. But that's up to end user to do that. And submit a ticket on issue to ZOS and continue to post results as you work through them so they can sort it their end.
    Edited by Moonraker on May 5, 2014 12:51PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't advertise for this product or anything, but the pc threads mention ultra surf and it has worked for a lot of people. I went ahead and downloaded something similar - netshade (for mac) and used their proxy.

lo and behold, for the mac client, once you start the launcher, it loaded correctly, almost instantly and i can click Play!!!! How I miss that button! It is a 10 day trial - so we might need to look at other proxy app options until they have a permanent fix for this.
    Thanks for posting details @Qyrk At least it get's it working for you. I saw it does help some especially in Asia/ Australia etc. with long distance connections where there seemed more connection issues. Check this thread as an example of this and why it seems routing issue and certain ISP possibly.

Sure there may be other related issues possible also.
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi
    ✭✭✭✭
    by 'real fix' i ment give us a working launcher.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/784656/#Comment_784656

this solved my issue, might help someone else, seems they dont like new zealand
    A large yellow rectangle

• Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kiwi wrote: »
    by 'real fix' i ment give us a working launcher.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/784656/#Comment_784656

this solved my issue, might help someone else, seems they dont like new zealand
    Launcher works fine for most players.

If you can connect via VPN then it just indicates it's issue with your connection via your ISP to the game server, not with the Launcher.
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi
    ✭✭✭✭
    you must be a rocket surgeon
    i guess it does not give you the gratification you seek, thats why you try to empower yourself here by attempting to appear smart via stating the obvious and overlooking the facts, right?
    A large yellow rectangle

• Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never performed surgery on a rocket, so can't claim that honour.

Just happy to see you understand the reasons why it doesn't work now.
  • Dr_Hubs
    Dr_Hubs
    Download Ultra Surf. It seriously saved my life! it takes no time to download and all you do is double click on the program once it is finished and BAM! ESO Launcher actually works!