Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crown crate removal?

Grandsheba
Grandsheba
✭✭✭
Some vets remember when loot boxes were first introduced and how we were very much against the gambling mechanism.

How does everyone including new players feel about spending money on a low probability chance of getting the one items you actually want to spend money on vs the old vs of the store where what you want to buy you just buy it?
"The Tower touches all the mantles of Heaven and by its apex one can be as he will. Be as he was and yet changed for all else on that path for those that walk after. This is [CHIM] the secret of how mortals become makers, and makers back to mortals."

Crown crate removal? 102 votes

I love crown crate and gambling mechanics
21%
jad11mumblerSilverIce58Jierdanitjaws343KallykatlusshtgarelThis_0neAkasyerLucifer_Samedward_frigidhandsMeioxevymyu233PDarkBHoodRomanRexOtrociousiPlayOnlyESONeuroticPixelsGBlltXSTRONGYouNappaYouGetSlappa 22 votes
I hate the crown crates and just want to buy the item I want, not this crown crate mess.
78%
laurajffleetingyouth_ESOdelta_mysticalenae1b14_ESOStxcalitrumanb14_ESOSurragardKesstrylbeardedJoeDarcyMardinHolycannoliDanikatAlinielAektannShagrethElsonsoSorakaBloodWolfeNettleCarrierdaim 80 votes
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can buy anything in a crate using endeavours instead of crowns. Happy that there a choices for different people.
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, I like having a mount that not many others have. If everything was always available then I'd lose the chance to be distinctive.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike it and prefer to be able to purchase items I want directly, but since the introduction of endeavors, I am more okay with it. I would be happier if I could turn any unwanted collectible from a crate into Gems and if more items from crates also were available for Crowns at times (some do, including many costumes and polymoprhs, but never the furnishings), but at least I have options now to get more of the items I want.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the crown crates and just want to buy the item I want, not this crown crate mess.
    I've never bought crown crates and never will. I didn't even particularly like opening the free crates we'd sometimes get because most of the time I got junk I didn't want and would never use, and although I did once get an apex mount (even more surprisingly I got one I think doesn't look terrible) I also got a spider pet which I hated so much I asked customer support to delete it from my account, which thankfully they did.

Until endeavours were released I largely ignored the crown crates. Now I do endeavours when I have time and feel like it and use the seals to buy the things I want. I'd be willing to pay real money/crowns to buy some things, but we've never had that option.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I've never bought crown crates and never will. I didn't even particularly like opening the free crates we'd sometimes get because most of the time I got junk I didn't want and would never use, and although I did once get an apex mount (even more surprisingly I got one I think doesn't look terrible) I also got a spider pet which I hated so much I asked customer support to delete it from my account, which thankfully they did.

Until endeavours were released I largely ignored the crown crates. Now I do endeavours when I have time and feel like it and use the seals to buy the things I want. I'd be willing to pay real money/crowns to buy some things, but we've never had that option.

Awww, I will adopt all the unloved spooders! 🥺

I felt similar about the crates for a long while, until the Ayleid crates came out, which had a greater percentage of stuff I like. I used to be rather bitter about crate items I could *never* have, but now I am just selective of the seasons I buy and otherwise use endeavors and that’s worked for me. :)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just say 'No' to Crown Crates. :smile:

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    rauyran wrote: »
    I can buy anything in a crate using endeavours instead of crowns. Happy that there a choices for different people.

not anything you want because you run out of seals
  • dragonlord500
    dragonlord500
    ✭✭✭✭
    crown crates are Zos's primary income with Subs being a hot 2nd. they will never get rid of crown crates unless all spenders stop buying them.
    Guild master of Darkness of Sanguinaris. Birthday is December 4th.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Listen, I've partaken in crates and felt the dopamine hit when something I wanted rolled out of them, but I recognize that Pacrooti and I have a toxic relationship. Direct purchase is more customer friendly.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Ugrak
    Ugrak
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I like having a mount that not many others have. If everything was always available then I'd lose the chance to be distinctive.

There's only one solution: Mount crafting.

Joke aside, something like the outfit system for mounts might work.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t mind them only because of introduction of items and being able to buy items directly, but I wouldn’t say I love them.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not see the point. We already know some people vehemently hate the crates while others support them to such lengths that they will not be going away unless Zenimax is legally forced to remove them.

It comes down to one simple choice each of us makes. To buy or not to buy. That is all that we have control over at the moment.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive stated quite a few opinions about "the crates" in the past but learned its better for me to not talk about them.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭

I have never checked the name of a character when admiring mounts.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    I do not see the point. We already know some people vehemently hate the crates while others support them to such lengths that they will not be going away unless Zenimax is legally forced to remove them.

It comes down to one simple choice each of us makes. To buy or not to buy. That is all that we have control over at the moment.

Oh how glorious it would be if they were legally forced to remove them and we could just buy what we want directly with crowns.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never checked the name of a character when admiring mounts.

I've never stopped to admire anyone's mount. :neutral:

Oh how glorious it would be if they were legally forced to remove them and we could just buy what we want directly with crowns.

I wish they would remove them without being legally forced to do it...
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    I don't love or hate them, I buy one set of four each season and it's fun but I wouldn't cry if they were gone. They don't have a big impact on my gameplay.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I already have everything I need.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It is not happening anytime soon, it seems. If it does, then gaming companies will have to generate that revenue from someplace so what follows may be something we detest even more.

* I do not like crown crates and do not buy them so I am not defending them or Zenimax.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is not happening anytime soon, it seems. If it does, then gaming companies will have to generate that revenue from someplace so what follows may be something we detest even more.

* I do not like crown crates and do not buy them so I am not defending them or Zenimax.

Like subscriptions? Because I prefer that.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Like subscriptions? Because I prefer that.

Doubtful since we already have a mixed model where some have purchased DLCs directly. What it will be we will not know but the industry will likely be creative. Something will have to give.

Then again, they are not going away anytime soon.
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for Crown Crates disappearing forever as long as they either (1) make the items available directly in the Crown Store so we can pay without gambling, or (2) more preferably make them unlockable via gameplay through quests, achievements, etc.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've spent WAY TOO MUCH money on Crown Crates... and would prefer to just buy something outright. Endeavors amounts are extremely low vs the endeavor cost of items. They should be offering players more Endeavors or lower the cost of Endeavor items! It takes MONTHS to save enough to buy a mount... and it shouldn't be that way. A couple months, sure... but the way it is now, it shouldn't take months just to have enough to buy a mount.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll admit I don’t mind crates still being a thing if they fix the endeavors system to make it more rewarding.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt say I love crown crates but if I buy once in awhile I think its a bit funny to see what I get and I dont mind the gambling aspect because im not into getting evry apex in crownstore as some people are.

There is some hard work behind those shiny crownstore items and work cost money, but they could add a few in game mount rewards for example with chapters/dlc
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Two a year? Hardly think that qualifies as getting whatever you want.

Loot boxes of any sort are predatory. I'm not against a cosmetic cash shop (as it was before), where someone can make an informed decision on if they want to use real life money for something. I'd rather things be earned in game, but that's never going to happen.

Loot boxes are straight up gambling. For sports betting, this comes with an age limit and numerous warnings in a lot of countries.

Not loot boxes though. Yet, anyway.

They are flat out wrong and are indefensible.

No other industry is it accepted. Imagine going to buy clothes, and you have to pay a fixed amount, then get a random piece? You might get a really nice coat. But you'll probably get a single sock.

Or going out for food, paying £50 and you might get a nice steak, but you might get a tuna sandwich.

People would find that utterly crazy. It blows my mind that loot boxes are so widely accepted in the gaming industry.

I'm not calling ZOS out specifically - most companies are at it. They could take a stance against it though (parent company anyway).

If you need to generate extra revenue, you can still do that with a normal cosmetic cash shop.

Gamers need to wake up and boycott loot boxes in every game.

They won't be removed from ESO anytime soon though.
    Edited by Brrrofski on February 9, 2023 4:18PM
  • GBllt
    GBllt
    ✭✭
    Pleasure of the lottery. You dont have to participate. No miss twitch drops + try-hard SOE you can still afford nice loots with patience.
    Edited by GBllt on February 9, 2023 10:02PM
  • Aliniel
    Aliniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm never gonna buy a crown crate. I would if we could extract gems from items we don't want - only duplicates turn into gems. There are things I like sometimes but I am not wasting tons of money for a meagre "chance" of getting it.

Don't understand why they just won't let us buy things directly...
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loot crates and the acceptance of them contributes to a more dystopian future for gaming, too bad not many people can see it, and it's especially sad that my favorite mmorpg has them. Now, there are some ways to make this better since I can't see them going away, plus it's not in the control of the devs. ZOS should be more generous with crates, they could have some go into daily login rewards AND make them earnable through a game-mode, endless dungeon would be the perfect place for them. That wouldn't fix the broken reward system of the game completely -- but it would help.

@ZOS_Kevin
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I've spent WAY TOO MUCH money on Crown Crates... and would prefer to just buy something outright. Endeavors amounts are extremely low vs the endeavor cost of items. They should be offering players more Endeavors or lower the cost of Endeavor items! It takes MONTHS to save enough to buy a mount... and it shouldn't be that way. A couple months, sure... but the way it is now, it shouldn't take months just to have enough to buy a mount.
    I couldn't agree more. It takes a month to accumulate about 2075 seals, and 1 mount I'm currently saving for costs 9600 seals, i.e. just over 4.5 months worth (and I'm afraid it won't still be in the crown store by the time I have enough seals). This tends to discourage any purchase method other than gambling on the crown crates.
    Edited by vsrs_au on February 28, 2023 8:17PM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390