Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How has PvP performance improved on PC NA Server?

legeci
legeci
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone,

I've been playing ESO on and off since beta but his last time off has lasted more than its ever has which been about 1 1/2 years. I left because my favorite part of the game which is PvP was dying with many good Covenant PvP guilds shutting down or switching factions. I recently purchased both WoW and ESO expansions but I'm torn on which one to play full-time because after reading forums and watching popular streamers they say PvP in both games have become mediocre with ESO being the worse of the two. My first MMO was WoW and I played it heavily until ESO came out so I'm familiar with both styles of gameplay. I feel like WoW offers way more incentives and rewards for PvP and it seems like the developers actually care about the community (Rankings system, Esports, great gear rewards) while ESO just leaves it more as an after thought with no improvement since the last time I played. However I think ESO PvP combat is light years ahead of wow and requires way more skill to be successful its more competitive. I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts and suggestions about the current state of ESO PvP on PC NA server and if I'm off base with my thinking? Thanks a bunch!
Edited by legeci on February 2, 2023 4:34AM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the biggest problem most would say would be performance, as zos is still in progress of updating their server hardware (only the PC NA server has been upgraded, which showed high improvement for like 2 months in primetime grey host, and while its still better than it used to be its still not as responsive as it should be)

they are also still working on a code rearchitecture, that may help with performance but that is also not going to be done probably for at least another year
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • legeci
    legeci
    Soul Shriven
    Thats dope! I play only on PC NA so the server has greatly improved?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it kind of depends, in a lower pop campaign like blackreach or like IC, both of those areas are pretty responsive

grey host campaign is where you will most likely see the lags/desyncs, its usually pretty minimal for me and only when its a really big fight or when there is a ball group involved
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cyrodiil has significantly improved with the hardware upgrade. But there's still lag sometimes caused by huge zergs.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on February 2, 2023 6:39PM
    PC NA
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Cyrodiil has significantly improved with the hardware upgrade. But there's still lag sometimes caused by huge zergs.

This is accurate.

To the OP, if you want a more consistent Cyro experience, avoid the huge fights. Look for smaller keep contests and skirmishes. The game tends to perform well in those situations.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The performance increase has degraded over time on PCNA, but there's one coming up for PCEU! Enough time to level and gear up there! Be ready to enjoy OK performance for a couple months
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on February 4, 2023 3:32PM
  • TheAlphaRaider
    TheAlphaRaider
    ✭✭✭
    The reason it is stale IMO:

1. Performance - not being able to play properly.

2. Poor fundamental attention to the PVP side of the game - neglected arena play, neglected systems building, i.e. gvg and duels. No, practice arena for group on group play. Poor ranking systems for rewarding skilled players i.e. stats reflect people that play more, not play better.

3. I don't like ESO plus - ESO plus is a charging me 15 bucks a month to not be locked out of the CORE game things that should be commonplace. No half subscription for those of us who care only about having a working inventory and being able to use jewelry crafting lol. Bad enough I have to shove 45 bucks for the chapter. Logging on again feels clunky and then you have subscribe again but can't find a reason to.

4. Too many proc sets, the natural decline of the state of the game by introducing more sets instead of improving and fleshing out the features that exist. These sets are the easy button and they aren't all bad but in the end they generate a short-term shake up to the game. Eventually, people always go back to the classics and, in fact, you often find someone rocking an old build and destroying people in 1 v X scenario. These sets always seem to have an effect on server performance, and I say this because of the past patch notes about testing proc sets or no proc sets in the past to improve cyrodiil performance. The proc sets also end up in the old pile of "nerfed to the ground" making the old content you have essentially sunsetted.