The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Jewelry Survey drop rate

madman65
madman65
✭✭✭✭
I have 10 characters and for the past two days, no jewelry survey drops. The event is going and I have gotten other surveys from the event coffers but no Jewelry surveys. Please raise the drop rate!
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't recall them ever raising the survey drop rate off of writs.

That being the case, they did add in loot with the Zenithar event to daily writs.

nvm i must have low reading comprehension, I didn't realize what the complaint was until tmbrinks's post.
    Edited by Dr_Con on February 3, 2023 9:10PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I usually just delete them, since they are never worth the cost in my experience, and I have master crafters on PC and PS4/PS5 for both NA and EU.

Sometimes I try to sell them cheap, but that often doesn't work anyway, so I just destroy them most times.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually just delete them, since they are never worth the cost in my experience, and I have master crafters on PC and PS4/PS5 for both NA and EU.

Sometimes I try to sell them cheap, but that often doesn't work anyway, so I just destroy them most times.

OP meant surveys, not writs.

Rng being rng? I have not noticed anything different really.
    PC-EU
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »

OP meant surveys, not writs.

Rng being rng? I have not noticed anything different really.

Ah, my error. I do like the surveys, but I am finding I don't run the daily crafting as much and therefore don't need them as much.

That along with it being such a pain to collect a stack.... (Yeah, I know some here just love it the way it is, but simplifying survey collection is another one of those QoL things that would please many of us.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This seems RNG, because I found more of the jewelry surveys than any other surveys. Atleast from the event coffers.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    This seems RNG, because I found more of the jewelry surveys than any other surveys. Atleast from the event coffers.

I haven`t gotten a Jewelry survey out of the event coffer or doing my daily writs for 2 days. When I get one, I get just the one.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    madman65 wrote: »
    I have 10 characters and for the past two days, no jewelry survey drops. The event is going and I have gotten other surveys from the event coffers but no Jewelry surveys. Please raise the drop rate!

edit... nevermind, thought we were talking about writs. No clue what the drop rate is for the event coffers.
    Edited by tmbrinks on January 28, 2023 2:25PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update: 1 jewelry survey in the last 4 days, please fix this. I have turned in a ticket.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    No jewelry survey out of 10 characters again today.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

have you tried doing the event coffers? I am getting elseweyr surveys off my reward coffers.
    Edited by Dr_Con on February 3, 2023 9:30AM
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »

have you tried doing the event coffers? I am getting elseweyr surveys off my reward coffers.

Yes, grabbing nodes, thieves trove and treasure chest along with a WB and Dragons.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do 14 a day. Clothing surveys have dried up for me atm and jewelry is doing well, so maybe it's just a bad streak with rng? I'm actually getting more writs the last couple weeks than surveys though, which has always been the other way around. That's fine though, writs sell, especially for people planning ahead for leveling a new character.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everything with jewelry crafting and upgrading such as inspiration, added steps for raw material refining, to the drop rates are artificially limited compared to the base game crafting skill lines. This entire skill line needs a buff IMO.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    I do 14 a day. Clothing surveys have dried up for me atm and jewelry is doing well, so maybe it's just a bad streak with rng? I'm actually getting more writs the last couple weeks than surveys though, which has always been the other way around. That's fine though, writs sell, especially for people planning ahead for leveling a new character.

OP is talking about event coffers... not daily writs.

I track the daily writs. Those are still right at about 1 in 8, as they have been forever.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything with jewelry crafting and upgrading such as inspiration, added steps for raw material refining, to the drop rates are artificially limited compared to the base game crafting skill lines. This entire skill line needs a buff IMO.

Drop rates are for plating materials is actually higher for jewelry crafting than it is for the others.

With WW/Cloth/BS you get no green/blue/purple materials from writs. With jewelry, you are guaranteed at least a grain with each and every writ you do at max level. Add in double grain drops, plus the occasional plating, and the drop rate for chromium grains is about the same as it is for Wax/Alloy/Rosin/Kuta from those writs at max level.

Yes, it requires the 10:1... but only 4 instead of 8 (how people never mention that).... and there's only 3 jewelry slots, compared to 14 possible gear slots.

Gold quality jewelry also drops in-game from a multitude of content... whereas gold quality weapons and gear only drop from leaderboard rewards... so there are tons more sources of in-game gold jewelry versus the others.
    Edited by tmbrinks on February 3, 2023 8:36PM
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Technically all drop rates are artificially limited. We are talking about pixels here.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt the drop rate was changed, let alone changed two days ago.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I track the daily writs. Those are still right at about 1 in 8, as they have been forever.

Yep, my bad. Some reason coffers didn't even register.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Yep, my bad. Some reason coffers didn't even register.

Yeah, I had done the same thing earlier in the thread.

Even if the drop rate for a survey in an event coffer is 1 in 2 (and I highly doubt it's this high), there are 6 survey types, so a 1 in 6 of each... sample sizes in the "10s" are absurdly small.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do writs on 7 alts most days and jewelry mats is the only material I have to buy all the time, Has to buy clothing mats from time to time. Newer wood or blacksmithing as here mats from surveys are larger than I use.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    0 jewelry surveys yesterday but 1 dropped the day before. I`m running low mats now so I will have to farm for more mats, come on ZOS do something!
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I did a lot of mats farming, found some chest and got one from a chest in 3 days of farming.

:#
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm now confused... are we talking about jewelry survey rates from writs? (If we are, that rate is still 1 in 8, and in actual tracking, no statistically significant changes have been noted for jewelry... in fact woodworking surveys are dropping at nearly 3 standard deviations ABOVE expecations)

Or are we talking about getting random jewelry surveys from the event coffers? (which ended yesterday)

How I wish people would be clear on what they're trying to discuss.

Jewelry surveys have never kept up with use, the old crafts didn't used to either, until they redid the rewards to give you 15 guaranteed a day (if you don't get a survey)
    Edited by tmbrinks on February 8, 2023 9:52PM
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fwiw Khajiit has some good stats for his own pursuits over the past 4.5+ years.

In this time, he has done 104960 writs/dailies, as can be seen in the images below. Note khajiit is pretty sure this counts sealed writs and daily crafting missions together, so the actual rewards from dailies are a higher percentage than shown.

The survey/writs done ratio is as follows (percentage of writs resulting in a survey)

Blacksmith : 1765/14824 = 11.9%
    Clothing : 1828/15409 = 11.86%

Alchemy : 1863/14885 = 12.52%
    Enchanting : 1655/15459 = 10.71% (Not sure why this is so much lower.)

Woodworking : 1841/14241 = 12.93%
    Jewelry : 1791/15014 = 11.93%

So in Khajiit's experience doing over 100k of writs on 18 max lvl crafters, Jewelry surveys are smack dab in the middle, reward-rate.

dailies_surveys_1.png
    dailies_surveys_2.png
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When it comes to this subject I trust @tmbrinks more then Devs

death, taxes and @tmbrinks know everything about crafting
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B1MasCZ.jpg

~238k writs

Drop rates between 12.3% and 12.8% for surveys

*shrug*
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can show all the numbers you like, there have been gamers that I have spoken with that stated they get too many surveys. I did not get a jewelry survey again out of my 10 characters, I might have gotten a total of 5 mixed surveys today. That`s woodworking, blacksmithing, provisioning, alchemy, jewelry(NONE), clothing and enchanting but I find that hard to believe the drop rate is so low.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify, the subject SURVEY`S.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can show all the numbers you like, there have been gamers that I have spoken with that stated they get too many surveys. I did not get a jewelry survey again out of my 10 characters, I might have gotten a total of 5 mixed surveys today. That`s woodworking, blacksmithing, provisioning, alchemy, jewelry(NONE), clothing and enchanting but I find that hard to believe the drop rate is so low.

It's 1 in 8 for each type. Not getting 1 out of 10 jewelry writs would be very common. Getting a survey for 5 out of 6 of the crafts would be a normal result given the expected drop rate doing writs on 10 characters, a touch on the low side, but nothing statistically significant.

Sorry you feel your luck is bad...

I'm also sorry that you can't believe people who have actually studied and analyzed these for years, and who regularly track it. Trust me when I say there are some of us who have a huge vested interest in these drop rates and if something were off about them, we'd be the first to say something... and have hard data to back it up.
    Just to clarify, the subject SURVEY`S.

I get we're talking about surveys... but your first post specifically mentions "event coffers"... while later posts refer to writs. Hence the confusion.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not saying it's you but, If someone does not believe in the proven odds because of their own experience, this can be referred to as the "personal experience bias" or the "availability bias." This type of cognitive bias occurs when individuals make decisions based on their own personal experiences, rather than relying on objective data or evidence.

For example, someone who has had a string of bad luck in the past may believe that they are inherently unlucky, and may not believe in the odds or statistics that suggest otherwise. Again, not you but for example let's take the statics of survey drops, if they were low in the past a person might think otherwise and forms a bias.

This can lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy, where the person's belief in their own bad luck affects their behavior and reinforces the negative experiences. So in this example a person can think they don't have great odds, of the survey drops, and that the drops are somehow wrong despite the date shown, again this is just an example and I not specifically referring to you.

To overcome the personal experience bias, it is important to consider the larger picture and to seek out objective data and evidence when making decisions. By doing so, you can gain a more accurate and balanced perspective, and make decisions that are based on facts, rather than just personal experience.

I think it would be fair to consider that sometimes we could be wrong and not know it, it has happened multiple times to me.
    Not saying you are wrong, just giving an example.

Usually when someone with the Title Godslayer and a staked excel sheet of documented date tends to explain stuff I learned to consider what they have to say.

You could be on to something, with these Jewelry surveys not drooping, have you though about starting to track the drop rate of jewelry surveys until you have a mathematically sound statistics?
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons