Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why the long research times ?

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Why do the research times keep increasing (at a roughly exponential rate) for crafting ? It's pretty discouraging to potential crafters. At the rate my research is proceeding (unless I start spending ridiculous amounts of real-world money on research scrolls), I won't have learned all the traits on all the item types until near the end of this year.
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy research scrolls for in-game writ vouchers (that you get from master writs) or from guild traders.

Make sure you use the passives that cap the research time to 30 days.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    You can buy research scrolls for in-game writ vouchers (that you get from master writs) or from guild traders.

Make sure you use the passives that cap the research time to 30 days.
    Yes, I've bought a few scrolls with vouchers, but I don't have many vouchers. I only recently started getting master writs, and I still get them rarely, so vouchers are coming in very slowly. All my crafts are at level 50, so I have all those passives. In other words, it's a bit frustrating for me at the moment, because I can't buy many of those research scrolls to speed up the researches.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The research time is shorter now than it used to be. I get free vouchers all the time. I have been around for less than two years, IIRC, and completed my research long ago.

No reason to be frustrated over it. It is just a thing and you will get it done. Focus on the more important traits first, then on the less essential traits.

• haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    put skillpoints into the research time skills. you'll be able to research three traits at a time, in addition to those skills shaves days off... pretty darn quick, relative to doing one at a time!
    Edited by haelgaan on January 20, 2023 4:21AM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    haelgaan wrote: »
    put skillpoints into the research time skills. you'll be able to research three traits at a time, in addition to those skills shaves days off... pretty darn quick, relative to doing one at a time!
    As I said, all my craft skills are maxed, but even with the maximum researches occurring simultaneously, it's still slow.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who's recently completed it a second time (on new server), it really isn't that bad anymore.

You can get scrolls for vouchers or gold, and items are cheap to get (nirn was expensive and harder to get back in the day).

It's still long, but it's easy enough. You click some buttons every few days and leave it work in the background.

And being a 9 trait crafter is super useful. It's fine that it takes a while.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    As someone who's recently completed it a second time (on new server), it really isn't that bad anymore.

You can get scrolls for vouchers or gold, and items are cheap to get (nirn was expensive and harder to get back in the day).

It's still long, but it's easy enough. You click some buttons every few days and leave it work in the background.

Where do I buy scrolls for gold?
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Brrrofski wrote: »

Where do I buy scrolls for gold?

From guild stores. The ones you buy with writs can be traded/sold.

So you could even arrange a bulk buy with someone who has a lot of spare vouchers for a good deal.
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the research timers get really long, up to a full month to learn the 9th trait on something. I remember getting maybe almost all of them done before the research scrolls came to the game, if not all of them (It's been a *very* long while so I can't fully remember) and being so happy there was something to speed it up!

I guess the only options to speed it up would be to have ESO+, The research skills which you say you have already anyways, and getting the research scrolls through either writ vouchers or buying them from guild stores which I didn't actually know you could do. I'm unsure of what the current Gold to Writ Voucher price would be, but if you don't mind some extra steps you could buy Provising, Alchemy and Enchanting master writs from guild stores as well to try and get some extra vouchers yourself, might end up a little cheaper then outright buying the scrolls.
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did most of mine before research scrolls were introduced. I get a decent amount of research scrolls from rewards though. Once you have everything maxed it can be worth a respec to recoup any skill points spent to reduce research times.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I researched everything on my main characters without using many, if any, research scrolls. Yes, it took a long time, and it was so very satisfying, and such a relief, when I finally finished.

Aside from using research scrolls if you have them, and buying the passives that increase the number of items that can be researched at once and decrease the length of the research times, it helps if you plan your researching. Since each trait you learn on a given type of item causes the next trait on that item to take twice as long to research, I think it's better to research just 1 trait per item, then start researching a 2nd trait on each item only after you've finished researching a 1st trait on all items of a given skill line, etc. That way you can at least craft any item in a 2-trait set, then any item in a 3-trait set, etc., while you're continuing your researches.

Also, I think that subscribing to ESO Plus reduces research times by a certain percentage.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To shorten the time use a research scroll from vouchers every day, they are cheap.

If you on the last research you go from 30 days to 15 days by using 1 Per day, and hope for a free research scroll from daily rewards then it Will go even faster.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if i could sell them, i would totally do so for the ones from daily login rewards

i dont need them and have like 60+ of each specific crafting table and maybe 40-50 of the all research time ones

back in ye olde days of 2014-2015, there was no way to speed up research aside from the skill passives, so you had to wait out those 30 day research times lol (if you didnt cap them, they would be 52 days lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Why do the research times keep increasing (at a roughly exponential rate) for crafting ? It's pretty discouraging to potential crafters. At the rate my research is proceeding (unless I start spending ridiculous amounts of real-world money on research scrolls), I won't have learned all the traits on all the item types until near the end of this year.

A remain from pre One Tamriel when only CP 1 to 16 existed. The game was harder and fights took longer. Hence it took a long time to finish all up to Cadwels Gold. There was no reconstuct and no transform. Setfarming took long. So a year of research was ok for those days.