The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[SUGGESTION] Make dragons circle 30sec longer before landing

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
When I see a dragon and jump to the nearest wayshrine it is now that I ALWAYS come 1 or 2 sec too late for participating in the kill. So if the dragon would circle a little longer it would give more time for people with slower internet connection to join the fight.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i usually find it easier to camp 1 spot or area if you are trying to farm them, with how fast they are dying i find it much easier than trying to chase the dragon to the location
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know but this is 15-20 min doing nothing --> boredom ensured :)

They could as well just increase the time between appearance and landing of a dragon a bit - at least during the event.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would also be better if they made it to where the specific landing ground of the dragon was highlighted in some way on the map when the dragon spawns in. The circling animation on the map is not entirely helpful when trying to race to a location.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I think it would also be better if they made it to where the specific landing ground of the dragon was highlighted in some way on the map when the dragon spawns in. The circling animation on the map is not entirely helpful when trying to race to a location.

This is the right approach.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

Usually it is only one of two spots within the search area which are not too far away from each other. Also there are addons that mark the location. So the issue is - during event time - that dragons just die too quick for a decent travel time.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The dragons landing areas are predictable, i.e. they follow a set cycle, so you can arrive at each area in time to participate in the fight. They're the same as dolmens in this regard. Once I worked out how this cycle worked, I had no problem getting to each landing area in time.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the difficulty cap should just go higher. You can already see their HP start to creep higher as more people arrive, increasing it further would increase the time it is alive and therefore, allow more people to get to the dragon

If it's dying in 10 seconds that's not exactly an immersive encounter (it's also why i dislike alik'ir dolmens- but that's feedback i left in the overland content thread :disappointed: )
    Edited by Dr_Con on January 31, 2023 11:48PM
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They already are flying too long imo. I'd prefer it get cut by 30 seconds.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Usually it is only one of two spots within the search area which are not too far away from each other. Also there are addons that mark the location. So the issue is - during event time - that dragons just die too quick for a decent travel time.

1.) During this event it's almost impossible to ride from one location to the next (especially in Northern Elsweyr) before the dragon is killed, at least during prime hours.

2.) Console peasants don't have add-ons.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this problem too, @AnduinTryggva , until I decided to go in the opposite direction to their appearance pattern. For example, if they spawn in a clockwise fashion, which usually happens in Northern Elsweyr, I'll go anti-clockwise. This gives me plenty of time to get to the next location area without rushing and worrying I'll miss the fight. I find it's been working really well this event.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Zenzuki
    Zenzuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The landing spots are predictable once you notice the pattern.

Also, the dragon symbol on the map already indicates the dragon's health status.

At 50% health the symbol will "crack" (appears different), letting you know there's not much time left before it's killed.

Usually that would still be enough time to get to it, if it's not one of the far off spots (in NE for instance).

But for time's like this event.. The time from "cracked" to despawn is much, much faster.

You'd be better served to just go to the next non-cracked dragon symbol (or if none are up), just go to the wayshrine where you think the next will be heading on spawn. Then keep you eye on map and act accordingly.

The dragons circling a little longer isn't the answer you're looking for.
    Edited by Zenzuki on February 1, 2023 1:37AM
    Can Open...
    Worms EVERYWHERE!
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer that the wayshrines were closer to the dragon landing points. Too much riding around to get to 2 of them. Or make a more direct path from shrine to dragon landing point.
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I don't have the fastest machine so it will take me about a minute to get tot he dragon and when I do it will have been killed
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M0ntie wrote: »
    I would prefer that the wayshrines were closer to the dragon landing points. Too much riding around to get to 2 of them. Or make a more direct path from shrine to dragon landing point.

That's a good alternative. In particularly the eastern spot in Northern Elsweyr is difficult as one has to ride around the mountains there between the road and the dragon landing spots... but also for the other two locations it is a long ride.
  • Ei8htba11
    Ei8htba11
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zenzuki wrote: »
    The landing spots are predictable once you notice the pattern...
    This.

There are 3 areas the dragon spawn on the map, and each dragon can land at one of 3 areas in that locale. When you see the dragon spawn on the map, it's going to fly for a while before it lands. Go to the nearest Wayshrine and ride to the closest landing spot, keep an eye on the map. If it doesn't land where you are, you'll be close enough to catch it at one of the others.

• AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please understand that the main issue here is that the loading screen when travelling via wayshrine is the big stumbling stone here. I do exactly what you say but I can be as fast as possible with all that it takes just simply too much time with all the folk slaying a dragon.

Be aware that some people may experience longer loading screens than you do.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ei8htba11 wrote: »
    Zenzuki wrote: »
    The landing spots are predictable once you notice the pattern...
    This.

There are 3 areas the dragon spawn on the map, and each dragon can land at one of 3 areas in that locale. When you see the dragon spawn on the map, it's going to fly for a while before it lands. Go to the nearest Wayshrine and ride to the closest landing spot, keep an eye on the map. If it doesn't land where you are, you'll be close enough to catch it at one of the others.

When I mentioned a better indication of where it will land, it was less about which of the 3 marked zones, because that part is usually fairly obvious outside of a few S Elswyr spawns. What I meant was that the individual landing zone area within the larger area.

N Elswyr needs to just put a wayshrine dead center of each spawn area. The zone is too big and the wayshrines are way too far away from where you need to be.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

no
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The better answer is during the event they should act like Dolmens. As soon as 1 dies the next spawns. Then you could just sit at one and have it done faster than waiting for respawn and running to it.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Honestly: What makes you think this was a meaningful and intelligent addition to the discussion? Not attacking you. Just truly wondering.

Edited by Syldras on February 1, 2023 3:35PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. We just need 2 more wayshrines in N. Elsweyr. A dragon circling more would just get everyone's frustration levels up.

For this event though, I sometimes stay around the SW or SE region of N. Elsweyr just farming, and before long a dragon will land a short ride away. (Come to think of it, we also need more harvesting nodes in Elsweyr. And fewer damn terror birds.)
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    no

Honestly: What makes you think this was a meaningful and intelligent addition to the discussion? Not attacking you. Just truly wondering.

Right? And they are saying "no" as if load times don't vary for players. They 100% do. The load times between PS4 and PS5 is absolutely night and day, speaking as someone who has played on both.

I imagine folks with slower, out-in-the-country Internet experience slower load times than those with faster/city Internet speeds as well.

I mean, it's like saying some people see colors differently and dude goes "no", completely ignoring that colorblindness exists.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no

• Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no

their chitin and hide be useful tho
  • Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    ✭✭✭✭
    The better answer is during the event they should act like Dolmens. As soon as 1 dies the next spawns. Then you could just sit at one and have it done faster than waiting for respawn and running to it.

Disagree. Takes away from the 'hunt'/immersion of waiting for them. Yes it's a game, but it's an RPG. While i sometimes find the wait time for the next pop to be annoying, i just take it in stride. It's a game, the time it takes is part of the game, dragons are not going to act like machines. i'd hate to see them run like clockwork.
    Edited by Thee_Cheshire_Cat on February 3, 2023 8:15PM
    Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should players who wait for the next spawn have to wait longer just to accommodate the wishes of those who want to rush there at the last minute from doing something else?
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it easier and relaxing to camp at the northern wayshrine, it's very thrilling to see the dragon fly into view and hunt it down.

- Using the "downtime" to unpack containers and bank valuable items.
  • ruengdet2515
    ruengdet2515
    ✭✭✭
    At this event they should increase HP of dragon about 100M++ with Hard mode.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Why should players who wait for the next spawn have to wait longer just to accommodate the wishes of those who want to rush there at the last minute from doing something else?

That is easy: You can decide to wait or rush like anyone else. Most of the people who wait just do so because rushing is not possible...