Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

About chats and insults during the matches...

NeKryXe
NeKryXe
✭✭✭✭✭
Very often... I mean, 3 or 4 times per week (for me it's a lot), I'm matched with some bully that uses the chat to intimidate me when I'm winning. Usually they say that Zos favors me, or that I'm a noob... the usual thing. But every now and then I get someone more offensive trying to distract or upset me. I know it's normal in this type of game (even in sports) to find this kind of people. But there's one thing that disgusts me the most and makes me feel like Zos is supporting these acts: all these bullies have a common practice -- they always block me first so I can't reply to them. This leads me to a big question: why the hell does Zos allow people to talk to people who can't respond? I mean... if I can't reply to this people why Zos allows them to write to me? Obviously I end up sending them to my ignore list too, but it shouldn't be needed -- If I am already on their ignore list they shouldn't be able to talk to me. That should be a basic thing.

By the way... It would be nice if we get an option to disable the chat during matches, also, I'd like to see a few simple reactions on the menu, like in Elder Scrolls Legends, to say hello, congratulate the opponent, to ask to go faster or even provoke. Something simple to use in one click instead of chating.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one player who does that to me. So far I've beat him every game and he immediately starts messaging me that I got lucky and I don't really have any skill, then blocks me so I can't reply.

Yes RNG is a big factor but this guy makes some noob moves then tries to convince himself that his opponent has no skill by berating them. I don't know how he made it to Rubedite in the first place.

I would just play in offline mode but sometimes I get positive messages about a good game and how fun it was. Plus I've made friends from playing so I don't want to cut off all chat.

And I agree that someone who blocks a player from responding to them should not be allowed to message that player either.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 29, 2022 6:52PM
    PCNA
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one player who does that to me. So far I've beat him every game and he immediately starts messaging me that I got lucky and I don't really have any skill, then blocks me so I can't reply.

Yes RNG is a big factor but this guy makes some noob moves then tries to convince himself that his opponent has no skill by berating them. I don't know how he made it to Rubedite in the first place.

I would just play in offline mode but sometimes I get positive messages about a good game and how fun it was. Plus I've made friends from playing so I don't want to cut off all chat.

And I agree that someone who blocks a player from responding to them should not be allowed to message that player either.

Yes, you are right about some good chats. I already got matched with some very competitive opponents that are always friendly in chat regardless if they win or lose. But the main point is that no player should be allowed to write to anyone who can't write back. It's incomprehensible how's this thing allowed.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    Yes, you are right about some good chats. I already got matched with some very competitive opponents that are always friendly in chat regardless if they win or lose. But the main point is that no player should be allowed to write to anyone who can't write back. It's incomprehensible how's this thing allowed.

I agree and not just concerning ToT. Any player who blocks another from responding to them should not be allowed to then contact that player.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 29, 2022 7:12PM
    PCNA
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm I can't see my chat screen when I'M in TOT.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Hmmm I can't see my chat screen when I'M in TOT.

It's automatically minimized when the game starts. You can click the arrow and open it up again.
    PCNA
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a specific player is habitually harassing you during or after the matches, take screen shots and report them for it. Sending you a single whisper is one thing, but repeatedly sending you whispers and blocking you so you can't ask them to stop seems like it might be a TOS violation, even if there is no profanity or hate language involved. A single such whisper might be okay, but a clear pattern of repeatedly posting such whispers seems questionable at best.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    If a specific player is habitually harassing you during or after the matches, take screen shots and report them for it. Sending you a single whisper is one thing, but repeatedly sending you whispers and blocking you so you can't ask them to stop seems like it might be a TOS violation, even if there is no profanity or hate language involved. A single such whisper might be okay, but a clear pattern of repeatedly posting such whispers seems questionable at best.

I really don't like to report because I understand it's all a reaction to the frustration of losing in a game. I don't feel better if they have their accounts suspended or banned. I know they have nothing against me, they can't even know who I am. So it can't be personal, it's just frustration or an attempt to disturb the opponent (sometimes it works).

I always reply to that kind of reaction and when I can write back things usually get cooler. But if Zos allows the bully to text me but prevents me from responding, then Zos is being an accomplice. I don't want to report them, I want Zos to solve this problem with the chat: when I can't write back to a player, I want him not to be able to write to me.
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very often... I mean, 3 or 4 times per week (for me it's a lot), I'm matched with some bully that uses the chat to intimidate me when I'm winning. Usually they say that Zos favors me, or that I'm a noob... the usual thing. But every now and then I get someone more offensive trying to distract or upset me. I know it's normal in this type of game (even in sports) to find this kind of people. But there's one thing that disgusts me the most and makes me feel like Zos is supporting these acts: all these bullies have a common practice -- they always block me first so I can't reply to them. This leads me to a big question: why the hell does Zos allow people to talk to people who can't respond? I mean... if I can't reply to this people why Zos allows them to write to me? Obviously I end up sending them to my ignore list too, but it shouldn't be needed -- If I am already on their ignore list they shouldn't be able to talk to me. That should be a basic thing.

By the way... It would be nice if we get an option to disable the chat during matches, also, I'd like to see a few simple reactions on the menu, like in Elder Scrolls Legends, to say hello, congratulate the opponent, to ask to go faster or even provoke. Something simple to use in one click instead of chating.

You can disable the chat... Go offline in the 'o' menu before you queue Tales of Tribute, I do this so nobody can whisper me from anywhere in the game when i want more relaxed play.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally don't condone reporting, either, but it's a situational thing. Whispering once to someone you're ignoring is not such a horrible thing-- depending on the content of the whisper, of course. But repeated whispering when the recipient is prevented from telling the whisperer to cease and desist might be crossing a line toward deliberate harassment. I'd hope that ZOS could review the in-game logs to see if some sort of temporary social ban were called for.

As for preventing someone who's ignoring you from whispering to you, that could be circumvented: Remove the other player from your ignore list (if they're on it), then whisper to them, then add them to your ignore list. It's much simpler to just ignore the unwanted whisperer.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kappachi wrote: »

You can disable the chat... Go offline in the 'o' menu before you queue Tales of Tribute, I do this so nobody can whisper me from anywhere in the game when i want more relaxed play.

But if I do that I'll be the one "blocking" my friends and opponents. I like to chat, I have no problem with it, I just don't like to receive messages from people who blocked me. That's all. If you notice I even try to chat with the bullies, that's how I know that I can't. :)
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally don't condone reporting, either, but it's a situational thing. Whispering once to someone you're ignoring is not such a horrible thing-- depending on the content of the whisper, of course. But repeated whispering when the recipient is prevented from telling the whisperer to cease and desist might be crossing a line toward deliberate harassment. I'd hope that ZOS could review the in-game logs to see if some sort of temporary social ban were called for.

I'm not talking about a simple whispering. That wouldn't have bothered me. Seems like Zos allows players to continuously send messages to people that they blocked, but when this happens the blocked one can't reply. It doesn't make any sense. It shouldn't be allowed to contact blocked players, or when a bully wants to send an insult to someone blocked it should immediately remove the block to allow the contacted person to reply.
    As for preventing someone who's ignoring you from whispering to you, that could be circumvented: Remove the other player from your ignore list (if they're on it), then whisper to them, then add them to your ignore list. It's much simpler to just ignore the unwanted whisperer.

That would be easier to solve with a time limit. If you could add or remove someone on the ignore list only once per day.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you list yourself as "Off Line" mode, they cant whisper or chat with you. That's what I do. :)
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you list yourself as "Off Line" mode, they cant whisper or chat with you. That's what I do. :)

I didn't know that. But the same applies.. When in offline mode no one should be able to send messages. Basically no one should be able to send messages to a receiver that can't reply.
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭

I didn't know that. But the same applies.. When in offline mode no one should be able to send messages. Basically no one should be able to send messages to a receiver that can't reply.

That'd be a bad compromise. I am appearing offline most of the time and I still have a need to send whispers, to which they can reply by mail, zone chat or anything else.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kappachi wrote: »

That'd be a bad compromise. I am appearing offline most of the time and I still have a need to send whispers, to which they can reply by mail, zone chat or anything else.

Still doesn't make any sense. First at all when I'm in a ToT match I think that I can't send an in game mail, and I'm not going to reply on zone to someone that decided to block the chat for the others to appear offline. If someone wants to appear offline that's the one who should be limited to send in game mails and not the ones receiving messages from ghosts on the chat.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    My block list has tripled in size since TOT released.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WitchyKiki wrote: »

Mine started with ToT, in 8 years I had never used it before. That's interesting. :)
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% agree with you OP. Plain and simple if you blocked somebody there's no reason to contact them. The other details or options hardly matter at all beside that obvious notion.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been an issue with PVP as well - players who talk trash, then block the receiver because they can't take what they dish out.

But it's worth noting that I don't think there's an easy way to prevent someone from messaging you, then blocking you so you can't reply, and unblocking long enough to send their message.

That's not to say it's a useless countermeasure, since it adds inconvenience to trash talking, and that is a deterrent to some trolls. It's just not a perfect countermeasure.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭

Mine started with ToT, in 8 years I had never used it before. That's interesting. :)

Whats even more interesting to add to your post, I just logged in after a 2 day break to a very angry in-game email from someone I beat on ToT. Apparently I'm a coward for playing while set to "offline" and a troll. They further said that they sometimes don't even what to queue as to not have to play with me. I didn't realize I lived in this persons head rent free. LOL

Anyways, people can still email you in-game if you are set to offline to send you their regards.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats even more interesting to add to your post, I just logged in after a 2 day break to a very angry in-game email from someone I beat on ToT. Apparently I'm a coward for playing while set to "offline" and a troll. They further said that they sometimes don't even what to queue as to not have to play with me. I didn't realize I lived in this persons head rent free. LOL

Anyways, people can still email you in-game if you are set to offline to send you their regards.

That's insane! :D Oh! And I'd prefer to receive emails after the match than insults I can't reply during it. That should be the only allowed way for people who block others from chat communication.
  • krismissee82
    krismissee82
    ✭✭✭

For what it's worth, I've always enjoyed playing with you despite usually losing because the match is competitive! I tried to message you congrats and thank you for the game, a couple of times, but figured you were playing offline mode. I play in offline mode sometimes, too. Thanks for all the fun games! :)
    Kaelindi - Stamblade
    Maelindi - Magblade
    Lindi - Magblade healer
    Lindi the Builder - Stamblade
    Lindi Stardust - Magplar
    PC NA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For cases when players send the other players comments designed to upset them and then place them on a block, just report it to Zenimax.

Seriously, that is an action that is clearly intended to be abusive, which I am pretty sure is against the TOS. At some point, Zenimax will take action against such behavior, especially when repeated.

• sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see some of the players I've played against in this thread, like Witchy and Kris, are of the good sort:)
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know what I decided today? I thought I'd stick to NPC games for a while until I can get the hang of the new deck.

Now I know that the NPCs aren't the greatest as far as skill goes but gosh it's been nice not to see any of these nasty whispers come through.

The other day I was in a match against another player and noticed a whisper come through - I didn't look at it but I use an addon that flashes an icon on screen when you have a whisper.

After the game (which I lost), I opened up my chat box and noticed whisper after whisper from this person telling me what I should have done and how slow and stupid I was. There were multiple whispers after every hand. I tried to respond but guess what? They were either in offline mode or had blocked me. I don't need this - I come to ESO for some fun and to get away from the stress of the real world. What's the point in reporting? I've done it before and the only response I got was to add the player to my ignore list.

These whispers have had me at the point of no longer wanting to play ToT. I know it's to be expected, it's PVP. Here's an idea though... people generally don't want your unsolicited advice and nasty comments. If I want your advice, I'll ask for it. Take your own unhappiness somewhere else.

Actually, as I write this, I think I will just stick to NPC games... it's been nice. It's a shame really, I've found a few really nice people... either gg at the end or in the case of one player, a whisper at the beginning saying hello and wishing me the best of luck.

Apologies for my rant.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my friends is a whisperer. He told me that he whispers every opponent at the start of the match to ask if they are a cheater. He is convinced that if they don't reply it's because they are using a bot to play for them or some other cheat and have offline mode on to cover that up. I've done my best to convince him that he is wrong and to stop but I don't think I'm getting through to him.
    PCNA
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of my friends is a whisperer. He told me that he whispers every opponent at the start of the match to ask if they are a cheater. He is convinced that if they don't reply it's because they are using a bot to play for them or some other cheat and have offline mode on to cover that up.

Oh well.

Or they are folks like me who discovered that my chat just minimizes itself when I'm in a game. I never bothered to try and seek it. If I want a play by play we can yack on Skype or something.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is it about ToT that makes so many players feel the need to insult the winner at the end of a match? I've been playing ESO since launch, I've rarely been confronted with bad behavior until last year, I've never needed to block anyone, and since the release of ToT the higher I rank the more insults and threats I get. Why the hell does this happen with a simple mini-game? I never saw this in another ESO activity. Am I surprised because I don't usually play PVP? Is this exaggeration of bad relationship between players and lack of competitive spirit normal in PVP?

In 8 years I blocked 2 players, in the same conflict in a dungeon, and in the last few months I already blocked 10 for insults at the end of a ToT match. It's strange, I can't understand.
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭
    You blasted fetcher! You think I don't know you have cards up your sleeve? I'm not some Hlaalu netch farmer girl, I'm a Telvanni and I'm calling you out S'wit. You cheated!

Oh and yes I would like another match, tell that lizard I would like another round or two of Greef. Top shelf.
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭
    My point being, if you are going to insult people, keep it in setting. Makes it more fun for everyone.