The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The ability to change characters on the fly should be added

nb_rich
nb_rich
✭✭✭
In a lot of mmo’s now adays especially new ones, you are given the ability to change your character up on the spot, eso needs the same.

This can be helpful in all situations weather you are a solo player, pve player or pvp player. For example if im on my new character I created and need to craft it some new training gear I have to log out, log back in to the alternate character, go to the crafting location to craft the gear then run back to the bank and switch back. This is way to unnecessary lol. Even times when people ask for help getting something crafted, if im not on the right character I can not help them.

Also for situations like forming a trial, if its a random trial group we all know it takes forever sometimes to find two tanks, instead of sitting down doing nothing I should be able to easily switch to my new character and work on grinding it while we wait, instead everyone just sits there and by the time we find two tanks people are m.i.a or end up leaving because they just sat there doing nothing and it took to long. Also for situations when people have alternate characters the can benefit the team at least they can switch on the fly.

I can go on and on about how this can be more beneficial then a downside but curious to hear what you all think.
nb_rich
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as it's optional, I wouldn't mind. I normally park my characters at certain places before logging out for a reason. Wouldn't want them to be at a completely different place when I log in again.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    Legit question.

I may be missing something, right now i can log off and back on in less than a minute, how can "speeding" this up be needed?

Even in your crafting descriptions (whether for you or someone whose asking), you log off 1, log on 1, go to stations, transfer item. If you could "insta-log" your new character you still have to go to the crafting location and transfer the item back to the character you want to have it.

You mean like having multiple characters "logged in" so you can start a group with 1 while playing another?

Faster load times, sure, but that's a system issue as much as on there end. I found that out when i play at home compared to my work computer which was just replaced with a better system and a SSD. The game loads 5x faster on this new computer, so it isn't all internets/ZOS's fault there.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nb_rich wrote: »
    This can be helpful in all situations weather you are a solo player, pve player or pvp player. For example if im on my new character I created and need to craft it some new training gear I have to log out, log back in to the alternate character, go to the crafting location to craft the gear then run back to the bank and switch back. This is way to unnecessary lol. Even times when people ask for help getting something crafted, if im not on the right character I can not help them.

Can you clarify specifically how your suggestion would simplify this process, as I'm not sure I understand.

It sounds like you're saying you want to switch from one character to the other without going through the character select screen, but that would still require all the other steps you listed: going to the crafting station, going to the bank to drop off gear then going to the bank to collect it on the character it's intended for. It doesn't seem like that would make much difference.

Are you instead suggesting that the character you switch to would be moved to the same location? That their inventories would be shared, or swapped so you don't need to use the bank to transfer items?

It sounds like the idea could have a lot of downsides in certain situations (like characters being pulled into the wrong location when you swap to them) but I'm not sure how many of those would actually be an issue and how many are me misunderstanding what you're suggesting.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    ✭✭✭✭
    i think the OP means swapping characters like swapping action bars/weapons.

Entirely against the idea personally. But as mentioned, if it was optional... different folks, different strokes. As a role-player, i'd avoid it like the plague.
    Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no opinion on whether it is a good idea or not (beyond I wouldn't want my characters to spontaneously be moved to where my last character was) , however I suspect there is alot of data that is loaded and unloaded during those logouts and logins so it is unlikely to speed up significantly
    Soupy twist
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just like the ability that existed in older MMOs like Everquest where you could type "/camp [character]" and it would log you off and start loading the next character.

To switch characters for me takes about 6-7 minutes, and I understand that the majority of this time is caused by loading addons - this is my choice and one I make knowing that. However, I think it's a little silly that the game must unload my addons and load them in when I select the next character. It'd be nice if I could switch from one character to the next and keep those things loaded to speed it up - then I might play my alts again!
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    As long as it's optional, I wouldn't mind. I normally park my characters at certain places before logging out for a reason. Wouldn't want them to be at a completely different place when I log in again.

I do the same thing lol. Any character im not playing on is sitting in front a bank
    nb_rich
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    i think the OP means swapping characters like swapping action bars/weapons.

Entirely against the idea personally. But as mentioned, if it was optional... different folks, different strokes. As a role-player, i'd avoid it like the plague.

Yeah this is how i mean it swapping character like action bars, its quicker and more convenient
    nb_rich
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just like the ability that existed in older MMOs like Everquest where you could type "/camp [character]" and it would log you off and start loading the next character.

To switch characters for me takes about 6-7 minutes, and I understand that the majority of this time is caused by loading addons - this is my choice and one I make knowing that. However, I think it's a little silly that the game must unload my addons and load them in when I select the next character. It'd be nice if I could switch from one character to the next and keep those things loaded to speed it up - then I might play my alts again!

Well, Addons are 'not supported by ZOS' so it doesn't surprise me that they require some unloading/loading considering it's not a seamless interaction within the game. I also can't help but feel that you probably wouldn't invest a lot of time in alts anyway if the small inconvenience of logging off/on bothers you... which if you were genuinely invested in your alts you wouldn't be playing them each for just a few minutes and logging out and in.

Just last night I had to log into my crafter to craft gear, log out and into my character that I had near merchants to buy upgrade material, log out and into crafter, upgrade gear. Log out and in to character I wanted the gear piece on. NONE OF THAT bothered me- and I also have a lot of addons that load. But I've never seen 6-7 minutes of loading time... more like 10/s to log out, about 10-20/s to log in, then 10/s of addon load time.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Well, Addons are 'not supported by ZOS' so it doesn't surprise me that they require some unloading/loading considering it's not a seamless interaction within the game. I also can't help but feel that you probably wouldn't invest a lot of time in alts anyway if the small inconvenience of logging off/on bothers you... which if you were genuinely invested in your alts you wouldn't be playing them each for just a few minutes and logging out and in.

Just last night I had to log into my crafter to craft gear, log out and into my character that I had near merchants to buy upgrade material, log out and into crafter, upgrade gear. Log out and in to character I wanted the gear piece on. NONE OF THAT bothered me- and I also have a lot of addons that load. But I've never seen 6-7 minutes of loading time... more like 10/s to log out, about 10-20/s to log in, then 10/s of addon load time.

I haven't either - and I don't even have "real" broadband, just satellite. I can swap from one to another in about 90 seconds.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they could in theory improve a few aspects surrounding the need to swap toons, but there would need to be restrictions.

Sure it would be nice when the queue is long to be able to hop from one toon to another in PVP without needing to requeue. It would be nice when forming a group to be able to swap to another role, without worrying about passing lead, dropping group or getting re-invited.

It would be a really bad idea to allow it mid trial/arena run unless it removed you from the leaderboard and trifecta status. You certainly wouldnt want it to be something that you could do while in combat.
  • Robvenom
    Robvenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horrible idea.
    Puppet the Peanut - Templar Tank/Healer
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a huge potential for bugs and crashes if this was implemented.
    PCNA
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh like Genshin Impact? No thank you.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all, just wanted to follow up here since we've followed up in a few other threads about class change tokens. Currently, we do not have any plans on implementing class changes tokens. There are a number of technical challenges with implementing them, and it would take a significant amount of time to solve these challenges efficiently and safely.

We know this isn't the desired feedback, but wanted to make sure we made our current stance clear on this.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all, just wanted to follow up here since we've followed up in a few other threads about class change tokens. Currently, we do not have any plans on implementing class changes tokens. There are a number of technical challenges with implementing them, and it would take a significant amount of time to solve these challenges efficiently and safely.

We know this isn't the desired feedback, but wanted to make sure we made our current stance clear on this.

It's not even an answer to the question... Unless I'm just missing something?
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

effectively: it's not happening any time soon
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

I feel like I take this risk every time I even mention the word "addon" and then my whole post is thrown out as "unsupported". I get it - but I am heavily invested in my alts. They have been max level for years, maxed crafting, and some degree of meta setup even if those setups are occasionally outdated. I used to do crafting writs every day for basic income, until I mastered other ways of making money. I'd still continue to do crafting if it was a little faster to do so when I use the same addons on each character and that is the extent of my feedback. I didn't need to be otherwise attacked for how I do things.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks Kevin! It's good to get definitive word on this.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No indeed, but I'm delighted that remains their position!

@ZOS_Kevin Perhaps you could also nail another old chestnut please and give an authoritative statement on the request for server/platform transfers? Such as here:-

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/626309/this-game-so-badly-needs-to-allow-account-transfer-between-pc-xbox-and-ps/p1
    Edited by Tandor on February 1, 2023 8:19PM
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @NettleCarrier I definitely misread your suggestion. That's what I get for going from one class thread to another. Sorry about the confusion there.

Though it was probably fall in the same ballpark as the class change token, we can certainly provide your suggestion to the dev team.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to mention abuse. Duels, group finder, all sorts of ways in which you could start with one character then switch to another.
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NettleCarrier I definitely misread your suggestion. That's what I get for going from one class thread to another. Sorry about the confusion there.

Though it was probably fall in the same ballpark as the class change token, we can certainly provide your suggestion to the dev team.

Thank you :)
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would be fantastic if one could swap to another character without logging all the way out and then logging all the way back in.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My characters are characters, not skins a "toon" wears and changes like their undies.
  • gabbo1928
    gabbo1928
    ✭✭✭
    Even if this isn't implemented as an on-the-fly change like the OP seems to suggest, I would be okay with fewer steps to load a different character. Like instead of logging out to character select, and picking another character to log in to, just choose "switch to Thiefy McThiefface" or whatever, and do something else for a couple of minutes while it swaps characters for you and bypasses the character select screen. It seems minor, but when you're doing daily writs on a dozen or more characters, that time adds up.

Idealy, I'd love a sequential "load next character" option mapped to a hot key, so I can craft, turn in, press it, repeat.
  • Obs1dian
    Obs1dian
    ✭✭✭
    Though it's not quite the same as the OPs request, like @NettleCarrier I miss being able to use the /camp <charname> command to tell Character Select to just roll straight into the selected character. In ESO I sometimes hit Character select in 5-10 seconds, sometimes it takes 2-3 minutes, and if you leave it hanging for two minutes it logs you totally out.

In EQ2, /camp <charname> still took the same time, but it meant you could stretch, grab a drink, etc while the client was unloading and loading and be ready to go when you got back. It doesn't change the base loading mechanics, it just passes a token to pre-select at the character screen. (Yes, I recognize that still takes work on the part of the devs, but would be less complex than some of the other ideas to start with.)
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Not to mention abuse. Duels, group finder, all sorts of ways in which you could start with one character then switch to another.

The ability to change characters should only be available in overland not trials or pvp or dungeons. I should of maybe pointed that out in my idea but thought it would be pretty obvious
    nb_rich
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Would be fantastic if one could swap to another character without logging all the way out and then logging all the way back in.

Yeah this is pretty much where im getting at. I play on console so don’t know about any of these add ons people are talking about, but I do know it sucks always having to switch characters trying to complete different things in the game like daily dungeons for example.
    nb_rich
  • Jacozilla
    Jacozilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do both ancient and brand new MMOs that allow direct logging to another character from whatever current char you are on not have bug/crash problems doing this then?

[snip]

Current gen MMO - Lost Ark - you click to open character select UI from within game, on current character - shows you UI with list of chars on that account. Click char to relog with and presto, game reloads with that selected character.

No, there is no magic porting or personal inventory sharing. Each char is unique and wherever you last logged out is where char logs in. But this direct char selection means no waiting to logout current char, load main intro char screen, then wait to login again.

Time for direct char select login is just the loading, like a reloadui command in eso. No wait time to exchange logging credentials bc you are already logged in, unloading current game,etc.

Ancient MMO like EQ2 also did this with the text commands, camp charname. Log directly from one char to another.

[snip]
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 3, 2023 6:59PM