The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread, "Necrom's Telvanni Pennisula & Apocrypha Zones"

• Ani
    Ani
    ✭✭✭
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good setting but tons of re-used assets and no overland difficulty makes this whole thing disappointing.
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Why is this the Telvanni Peninsula though? There is nothing Telvanni, nor Peninsular, about this region.
    image.png

This is an Indoril/Temple region in lore, and isn't a peninsula.The Telvanni Peninsula is the bit to the north of where this zone ends. (A peninsula is "a piece of land that is almost entirely surrounded by water but is connected to the mainland on one side." Without the northern section, it isn't a peninsula by itself.)

If we're naming this region [House] [Geography] it would be Indoril Highlands.

Edit: Official lorebook "Great Houses of Morrowind":
    Indoril District occupies the heartland of Morrowind, comprising the lands south of the Inner Sea and the eastern coast.

Everything from Mournhold up to Necrom should be Indoril.

This is also baffling the peninsula is above the region you're calling the Telvanni peninsula. I don't know what happened this year but this is a mess.
    Edited by Fata1moose on January 25, 2023 11:28PM
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stretch of land between (and including) Mournhold and Necrom was the Indoril territory, as that house had no Vvardenfell presence outside of Ordinators posted in Vivec. The Indoril grip of that territory only weakened after the Septim conquests, which means that in ESO's timeline the Indoril dominance should be indisputable. I thought inventing High Isle out of thin air was a massive blunder that would be difficult to top. But ZOS does have a knack for such suprises.

There are old design documents for TES III which featured the actual peninsula and the three nearby islands as Telvanni territory, with the capital in Port Telvannis. That whole idea was expanded upon in the Tamriel Rebuilt mod.

The design of Apocrypha is a thematic failure. One of its main strengths in Dragonborn was the labyrinthine, confusing and claustrophobic layout. It should be a network of tunnels and chambers, more dungeon-like than open world.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    K9002 wrote: »
    The stretch of land between (and including) Mournhold and Necrom was the Indoril territory, as that house had no Vvardenfell presence outside of Ordinators posted in Vivec. The Indoril grip of that territory only weakened after the Septim conquests, which means that in ESO's timeline the Indoril dominance should be indisputable. I thought inventing High Isle out of thin air was a massive blunder that would be difficult to top. But ZOS does have a knack for such suprises.

There are old design documents for TES III which featured the actual peninsula and the three nearby islands as Telvanni territory, with the capital in Port Telvannis. That whole idea was expanded upon in the Tamriel Rebuilt mod.

The design of Apocrypha is a thematic failure. One of its main strengths in Dragonborn was the labyrinthine, confusing and claustrophobic layout. It should be a network of tunnels and chambers, more dungeon-like than open world.

Might Telvanni magisters have been powerful in the area before either isolating more northward or otherwise being displaced by a stronger House Indoril presence? I could well be mistaken, but I thought not much was known about Tamriel at the time of ESO.

As for Apocrypha, could not a Daedric Prince’s realm change over time? Maybe as he hoards acquires even more books of forbidden knowledge it turns into a labyrinth!

Anyway, it looks really cool to me, but I’m going to make a point of checking out Apocrypha in the Skyrim expansion as well. :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 26, 2023 1:25AM
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If we are back in Morrowind, I hope we will see more of Revus Demnevanni. He was my favorite side character from the Morrowind chapter. My other favorite was Sotha Sil from that region, sort of, but he got a whole DLC (I would not complain if we see him again though).
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say, I'm really intrigued by the story of this chapter. Apocrypha looks stunning and I can't wait to decorate my house with all of those eldritch mushrooms and glowy things.

The city of Necrom looks awesome. I wonder if we'll see some Chimer lore here.

I love that there is some similarity with Vvardenfell in this new zone. That's probably my favorite zone in ESO, aesthetically.

Since it looks like it connects to Bal Foyen, will the Telvanni zone be accessible via road through there? That would be nice. One potential way I could see is in the crater-ish area around the Dalmora wayshrine a roadway could be added heading south-south east toward the Telvanni peninsula. Another idea is a road along the coast heading east out of Dalmora past the docks. qdgqm63k03ia.png

Looking at it now it definitely seems to be more logical to put a road up through these cliffs. The map even seems to have a winding path, and there are Netches floating up ahead. I was even able to find a way to the first 'step' with a Betty Netch.

Another possible place for a road is the easternmost portion of Deshaan, south of the entrance to The Hollow Cave (which leads to that outcropping by Eidolon's Hollow) - and that way might make sense as it would be an easy route between Mournhold and Necrom.

I mean, the City of the Dead ought to have accessible highways leading to it, right?
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That they emphasize the Cosmic Horror / Lovecraftian theme (even calling this year "Shadow over Morrowind", which is likely an allusion to the Lovecraft story "Shadow over Innsmouth") makes me think (or at least hope) that - if this is done right - this won't just be a cliché comiclike "great hero saves world" story.

Among other things, Lovecraftian stories contain a kind of underlying subtle eerieness. Recurring themes are forbidden knowledge posing dangers, strange cults, places like ancient cultic sites, subterranean ruins, burial grounds (Necrom, anyone?). People (often intelligent, scholarly types) searching for secrets but finding more than their sanity can endure. People going insane, being unable to distinguish hallucinations or dreams and reality and both worlds finally mixing (Vaemina?). There are otherworldly creatures hiding, for example underground, sometimes even mixing with mortal people causing a race of hybrids.

I can really imagine how this could be woven into a Morrowind story around Telvanni scholars and also the Dunmer Temple. Now it really depends on the writing quality if it works out - or if it ends being a huge clichéfest again.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is this the Telvanni Peninsula though? There is nothing Telvanni, nor Peninsular, about this region.
    image.png

This is an Indoril/Temple region in lore, and isn't a peninsula.The Telvanni Peninsula is the bit to the north of where this zone ends. (A peninsula is "a piece of land that is almost entirely surrounded by water but is connected to the mainland on one side." Without the northern section, it isn't a peninsula by itself.)

Indoril District occupies the heartland of Morrowind, comprising the lands south of the Inner Sea and the eastern coast.

This was my first thought as well, kudos for putting it so eloquently.

I'd like to also add (as some have already said above) that I was disappointed by the lack of new interesting nature. It all looks exactly like Vvardenfell, aside from one or two mushrooms that seem to be new but honestly don't stand out much at all from the rest. Necrom looks cool and interesting though, from what we've seen of it so far.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    image.png

The area surrounding Necrom hasn't really been established to belong to any particular house before. Concept art from TES3 shows Necrom as belonging to House Dres and the surroundings belong to the Telvanni. Since then the only confirmed and consistent thing we learned about the region is that Necrom itself is a temple-controlled technically-neutral city. So Necrom is the only territory we know the Indoril must be involved in. As for the lore book, your point is accurate to the map you and ZOS chose to show, but on this map, the lore books description is consistent with the land not belonging to house Indoril. s7f1gkgff5p0.png
    Considering that the map that was used in the reveal does not even feature Blacklight, I would not want to use it as a basis for the lore of the game(s).
    But I agree, the zone should be renamed. It's not a peninsula if it's only the south and Necrom, the neutral/Indoril city is certainly the most important part of the area, so even if the Telvanni control 99% of it, I would not name it "Telvanni".
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To he honest the only decent thing about watching this was a new class release , apart from that It’s clear that PVP will be still unplayable at peak times 😢 so it’s just another unplayable class in PVP lol

It's 3rd resource "crux" or something. Makes it sound like the class could suck in pvp.
    If any of their class skills can be enhanced by consuming 3 crux, that means the skills at their base must be weaker without the crux. Sounds highly situational.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't notice any evidence of the Tribunal or any Ordinators.
    PC EU
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    image.png
    Looks like this fan-made map was a reference. 🙃
    Agree with incorrect name of a geographical object — it is like to call all High Rock or a half of Hammerfell as "Peninsula". :/ And if this territory is Peninsula, what the geographical object is northern location? A similar problem exists in Elsweyr: we have Northern Elsweyr, we have Southern Elsweyr, but there also the Reaper's March (Western Elsweyr?) and the white long spot (Nonetern Elsweyr?).
    Geography is the weak point of tESO, unfortunately. :/
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broken23 wrote: »
    Will we get more character slots? Or do we have to delete a character to be able to be an Arcanist?

free character slot with chapter purchase

Why are we not going up to 21? That way, we can have three of every class, one for each role. What a ridiculous number to stop at!

The armory handles that for you, now.
    Fata1moose wrote: »
    Good setting but tons of re-used assets and no overland difficulty makes this whole thing disappointing.
    image.png

This is also baffling the peninsula is above the region you're calling the Telvanni peninsula. I don't know what happened this year but this is a mess.

The entire land mass east of Bal Foyen could be considered part of the peninsula that extends to the north. These things are hardly going to be scientific.

As to who controls that land in 2nd Era, it is possible Telvanni only has influence in the west. It will be interesting to see how they reconcile "Tel Dreloth" where "Amber Forest" is in the 3rd Era.

I'm not willing to spend money to find out, so I will wait for others to tell me.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a shame this game still can’t do denser forests. A mushroom and sapling forest would look really nice and differentiated from Vvardenfell. The surrounding area just looks like Vvardenfell from what I’ve seen. They could go back and add density to other areas that are supposed to be forests too like Blackwood and that area southeast of Dragon Bridge.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Will we get more character slots? Or do we have to delete a character to be able to be an Arcanist?

Why are we not going up to 21? That way, we can have three of every class, one for each role. What a ridiculous number to stop at!

image.png

The entire land mass east of Bal Foyen could be considered part of the peninsula that extends to the north. These things are hardly going to be scientific.

As to who controls that land in 2nd Era, it is possible Telvanni only has influence in the west. It will be interesting to see how they reconcile "Tel Dreloth" where "Amber Forest" is in the 3rd Era.

I'm not willing to spend money to find out, so I will wait for others to tell me.

Yes the whole thing is a peninsula, but as soon as you take the end off, that definition no longer holds. Someone mentioned High Rock above - the whole of Glenumbra is a peninsula, but Cambray Hills, by itself, is not. This situation is directly equivalent to Cambray Hills - the region that is labelled "Telvanni Peninsula" can't be a peninsula by itself without the northern tip.

Will be interesting to see how much, if any, of the lands here are Indoril.
    Edited by Enodoc on January 27, 2023 5:25PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

image.png

Yes the whole thing is a peninsula, but as soon as you take the end off, that definition no longer holds. Someone mentioned High Rock above - the whole of Glenumbra is a peninsula, but Cambray Hills, by itself, is not. This situation is directly equivalent to Cambray Hills - the region that is labelled "Telvanni Peninsula" can't be a peninsula by itself without the northern tip.

Will be interesting to see how much, if any, of the lands here are Indoril.

The northern tip is still there and there is no reason why a peninsula can't be split between two maps.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keylun wrote: »
    Overland difficulty?

Just unequip your CP and wear white no-set gear. You can even have your vet overland setting in an armoury slot now.
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    robwolf666 wrote: »
    Have to say that I'm the most excited about going back to Apocrypha, and the new class, I see a new Dark Elf being created in my near future. It kind of sounded to me like the end-of-year new feature was going to be some kind of group thing, unless I misheard/misunderstood, which wouldn't be of any real interest to me personally.

That said, it was a no brainer that I'd buy a new PvE zone(s) to explore, so pre-ordered already, ;) .

I don't think anything at all has been said about the end-of-year feature. The group thing was the 2-man endless dungeon but that's coming out with the QOL improvements in Q3. I guess it's pretty trivial to mash a roguelike scenery and standard mob generator into the existing assets compared with writing and balancing a bespoke dungeon with unique mechanics.

That said, they haven't mentioned anything about any new playable area for Q4, so it looks more like the "big new feature" is a new core game feature, especially as it's apparently taking longer than expected to program. So potentially it could be the long-heralded spellcrafting (which would fit right in with the overall theme of the Chapter and the new class); it could be a long-overdue PvP overhaul now they've (supposedly) finished the major overhaul of the server code that should reduce lag and support higher player counts in close quarters fights such as around keeps; or it could be something radically different that nobody has predicted. Grimoires as a new weapon type? Somehow I doubt it, there's too much work to retrofit and balance against all the existing classes for not enough player satisfaction. Cavalry PvP? That would be cool, but again maybe a bit too niche. I guess we'll have to wait and see, as long as it isn't an in-game version of backgammon to sit alongside Tales of Tedium I'll take it...
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erissime wrote: »
    Content looks nice. Hermaeus Mora and his world definitely very attractive, and a new class which feels interesting. Still all that denotes is more interest in pve and zero for pvp. Why is that? Where is the BALANCE between these two sides of the game? Also I read nothing about MyM in the upcoming events. Where is that also?

Also why more humans? I mean redguard for arkanist? Whatever happend to the high elves after Summerset? Are they really that bad mages to be never again connected with anything magic (of which Tamriel is full of) - beyond the Pisjics and Summerset? Seriously? You do Hermaeus Mora and have a HUMAN to be the representative of your new magical class? (I will not pick on the redguard psijic we got for houseguest - another mockery against the high elves!)

I guess maybe that's the point. Somehow they have to make the point that stamina arcanists are viable too. At first glance it sounds like a very magicka-oriented class after all. It's weird, but maybe not really even as weird as stamsorcs given that arcanism is basically just reading books and there are plenty of gym rats who read books about gym training.

I actually wouldn't mind if they brought out a berserker class one day that was *all* stamina, *all* the time. Literally. On character creation all your base magicka gets turned into extra base stamina, and there's not even the option to put attribute points into magicka. Like, these guys are just heaps of protein, not a magical fibre in their body. It would be limiting in some ways, but potentially very cool in other ways.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi Everyone! Thanks for all of your feedback and questions. We are still working through reading these on top of PTS comments. However, to clean up the pinned threads a bit, we are going to move this thread to the news section of the forum. However, we have our one-stop shop still pinned both the general section and most recent section for easy access to these threads. Thanks all.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post