Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Next Patron is Almalexia

spartaxoxo
spartaxoxo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This was revealed in the Update 37/Scribes of Fate DLC stream.

So, what do you guys think her deck will be like? Wrong answers only. (JK)

Also, it's nice to hear it will be a female patron.
Edited by spartaxoxo on January 28, 2023 6:06AM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too vague and I am not imaginative enough to think of what the decks "thing" will be, but I do hope that it is the last deck for ToT.
    8 decks is a sweet number, any more will just pad the game out and make it more convoluted as well as they should put effort into other areas of the game. Same goes with companions, I hope the next 2 are the last 2 and next year we get something completely different they add to the game.
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cards with skimpy outfits on them o:)

Good to finally have a female patron!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see that Mother Morrowind got the nod.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    Make the opponent ragequit like Druid lol
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hah, I thought of you OP when I heard the news, because I remembered a topic you made about all the Patrons being male (which, imo was a big faux pas). I think her deck might have a lot of defensive cards (and it will be shiny) :smile:
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Too vague and I am not imaginative enough to think of what the decks "thing" will be, but I do hope that it is the last deck for ToT.
    8 decks is a sweet number, any more will just pad the game out and make it more convoluted as well as they should put effort into other areas of the game. Same goes with companions, I hope the next 2 are the last 2 and next year we get something completely different they add to the game.

There are currently 9 decks, soon to be 10:

1) Pelin
    2) Hlaalu
    3) Crow
    4) Psijic
    5) Red Eagle
    6) Hunding
    7) Rajhin
    8) Orgnum
    9) Druid
    10) Almalexia
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope we can get the deck and it's upgrades by playing NPCs. But if not it won't matter much anyway since I rarely even play the NPCs any more.
    PCNA
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is nice and all, but it's sort of boring to get another dunmer related character and another form of elf on top of that. Oh well, maybe there will be an argonian or something cool like a troll eventually. Missed opportunity?
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A troll? Do they have names? Or rather, do many non-trolls know the names and occupations and achievements of trolls? Why would there be a Tales of Tribute deck commemorating a specific troll and its important cultural and historical contributions to the lore of Tamriel? What sorts of cards would be in its deck? This isn't Legends, where cards representing a great variety of everyday occupations and people, as well as numerous types of things including plants, animals, weaponry, etc., makes sense within the overall design of the game.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Hah, I thought of you OP when I heard the news, because I remembered a topic you made about all the Patrons being male (which, imo was a big faux pas). I think her deck might have a lot of defensive cards (and it will be shiny) :smile:

That wasn't me but I agreed at the time it was a big faux pas!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    A troll? Do they have names? Or rather, do many non-trolls know the names and occupations and achievements of trolls? Why would there be a Tales of Tribute deck commemorating a specific troll and its important cultural and historical contributions to the lore of Tamriel? What sorts of cards would be in its deck? This isn't Legends, where cards representing a great variety of everyday occupations and people, as well as numerous types of things including plants, animals, weaponry, etc., makes sense within the overall design of the game.

I was like, "there's got to be some named trolls." Sure enough, ESO has a pretty lengthy list of named trolls: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Troll
    There's also a large variety of trolls that vary according to their terrain or even tribal structures.

Now, I don't expect a Troll deck (for the memes) since Tales of Tribute is very much focused on the heros of Tamriel not its villains, but it's kind of cool that the Elder Scrolls does have enough trolls to make a go of it if they decided to branch out to more variety of decks like MTG.
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 30, 2023 3:32PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted a Sheogorath deck.
    PCNA
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was like, "there's got to be some named trolls." Sure enough, ESO has a pretty lengthy list of named trolls: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Troll
    There's also a large variety of trolls that vary according to their terrain or even tribal structures.

Now, I don't expect a Troll deck (for the memes) since Tales of Tribute is very much focused on the heros of Tamriel not its villains, but it's kind of cool that the Elder Scrolls does have enough trolls to make a go of it if they decided to branch out to more variety of decks like MTG.

Yes, there are plenty of lovely trolls. It's sort of strange how the other poster seemed to be suggesting their unimportance. I for one would like to know more about the trolls rather than yet another Breton. After all, I can recall at least one Troll King in ESO. Well, what is Troll society like? What were the king's struggles? What is the troll story? There isn't any reason that TOT couldn't help expand on the Troll experience. Nor is there isn't any reason that we couldn't find other swell patrons such as Goblin's or Sload.

As for the idea about heroes of Tamriel being used, maybe some of the above listed creatures do have their own heroes. Red Eagle, for instance, was hero to some and enemy to others.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on January 30, 2023 5:51PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there are plenty of lovely trolls. It's sort of strange how the other poster seemed to be suggesting their unimportance. I for one would like to know more about the trolls rather than yet another Breton. After all, I can recall at least one Troll King in ESO. Well, what is Troll society like? What were the king's struggles? What is the troll story? There isn't any reason that TOT couldn't help expand on the Troll experience. Nor is there isn't any reason that we couldn't find other swell patrons such as Goblin's or Sload.

As for the idea about heroes of Tamriel being used, maybe some of the above listed creatures do have their own heroes. Red Eagle, for instance, was hero to some and enemy to others.

ESO 2040: "And for our happy Tales of Tribute players, we've got a new deck. The Troll King Deck! And no, we're not trolling you. :trollface: "
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted a Sheogorath deck.

I would love a Sheo deck, and that it also has a sinister laugh like our lovingly hated cat.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew about several of the named trolls, but I was mostly trying to be-- well, "sarcastic" isn't really accurate, but "funny" isn't really strong enough.

My point is that Tribute (as the NPCs refer to it) is a card game where the patrons are heroes or other important or influential people who the common folk look up to and enjoy the idea of trying to curry favor from, not villains or enemies.

What's next, a Dragon deck? Huh, those large flying monstrosities that everyone's either running from or trying to kill before they eat up all of the livestock and destroy everyone's houses? Who cares if they have names; let's just kill them!

Or how about a Goblin deck? What, those gibbering savages who try to kill anyone who comes too close? Who cares if they're just trying to protect themselves and have come to see every random stranger as an enemy to be attacked? Drive them out!

Or perhaps you'd like a Maomer deck? What self-respecting Tamrielan doesn't love those guys?

Or a Mudcrab deck. Disgusting creatures!

Sure, those might be fun ideas-- but would the common people of Tamriel see them as patrons to curry favor from, and would the card-playing masters who created Tribute have wanted such decks in their game?

As I said, Tribute is a different kind of game than Legends.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sure, those might be fun ideas-- but would the common people of Tamriel see them as patrons to curry favor from, and would the card-playing masters who created Tribute have wanted such decks in their game?

As I said, Tribute is a different kind of game than Legends.

What the common person may like isn't the important part of the equation and that is where TOT may be similar to TESL. Game development often involves reaching more and more niche audiences. Bethesda doesn't want only the common person to buy and play their games. They would prefer to get everyone interested in the games.

So of course the TOT team may use an uncommon creature as a way to expand the game because they can potentially reach a more niche audience while not impacting their core audience a meaningful amount. And besides, if the common person is given the same characters over and over, then isn't it also a probability that the common person becomes bored and would too prefer seeing new card development based around characters that aren't Bretons and Elves?

This was the major trick of TESL. Through their updates, they would sacrifice core audience, but ultimately grow the game by bringing in more niche audience. It just so happens that TESL was plagued with a number of issues such as client changes, contracts with developers, and poor balance, that caused it to reach it's current state. So it isn't a great comparison point in my opinion, but you did bring it up.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on January 31, 2023 5:16PM
    Don't tank

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, Legends' biggest problem was that being a hardcore fan of the game would have cost a huge amount of money. If the pricing of decks and stories and puzzles had been a good deal less, I might have considered purchasing some of them with real money. Instead, I just tried to collect enough in-game gold to buy occasional decks and stories, which takes forever.

But aside from that, I struggled to get the hang of the game, but couldn't grasp its nuances enough to draw me into it. Yet I still try to log in every day to collect the login rewards, and buy whatever I can with the in-game gold. I've finally got all of the stories-- should I ever wish to give the game a dedicated attempt, which I would like to do someday-- and am now hoping to accumulate enough in-game gold to buy the puzzles. And I have a huge number of soul gems, but have no idea how to use them to create cards.

On the other hand, I had very little interest in seeing ZOS add a card game to ESO, but when it was announced I figured I'd at least give it a try. No one was more surprised than me when I actually grasped the basics of ToT and found that I really, really enjoy playing it. I'll probably try my hand at PvP matches again one of these days, but for now I enjoy playing the Expert NPCs.

To be frank, I'm surprised you didn't use a different argument against my other comments-- namely, that ToT already has one patron who doesn't exactly fit the "heroes of Tamriel" idea that I was pitching, that patron being the Crow. I thought of that as soon as I posted my last comment, and tried to formulate some responses in case anyone brought it up. They are as follows:

Although the common people of Tamriel wouldn't be expected to have much knowledge of or appreciation for the Duke of Crows, they may still have heard stories about him, including how he'd helped The Hero of Tamriel (a.k.a. The Vestige). In fact, it's possible that at least a few other people have had dealings with the Duke of Crows, including one of the masters who created ToT. So even though the Crow patron might not seem like someone the average ToT-playing Tamrielan would want to win the favor of, I think it still makes better sense than a Troll patron and deck, a Goblin patron and deck, a Maomer patron and deck, etc. In fact, it seems like it might even be more likely for there to be a Daedra patron and deck before any of the above were added-- after all, a lot of Tamrielans do worship the Daedra, even if it's severely frowned upon.

It might be cool to see something truly "out there" to be added to ToT in the future, especially if the game were to spread to even more locations, such as inside Outlaws Refuges, instead of apparently being played exclusively by well-dressed NPCs who look like they'd be right at home at a fancy dinner party rubbing elbows with the nobility.

But I'd personally rather see them add more sensible patrons, such as Ysgramor, before going way out there and adding a Troll deck or a Goblin deck. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I'd probably embrace any new patron and deck if it's fun, even if it seems like the sort of thing the NPCs would turn up their powdered noses at.
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or perhaps you'd like a Maomer deck? What self-respecting Tamrielan doesn't love those guys?

Funny example, considering that we already have a Maormer deck. King Orgnum is the immortal god-king of the maormer.
    My point is that Tribute (as the NPCs refer to it) is a card game where the patrons are heroes or other important or influential people who the common folk look up to and enjoy the idea of trying to curry favor from, not villains or enemies.

What one would consider a hero is a villain to others. None of the patrons are universal heroes.

Like Red Eagle is only a hero for the Reachmen and at best an antihero (and at worst a villain) for other races.
    Rajhin is a trickster god and even the khajiit think he is kind of an a-hole and not someone who should be blindly trusted.
    Psijic, Druid and Hlaalu aren't even specific people, they are whole groups of beings. The latter two being somewhat controversial groups due to breton and dunmer politics. So def not universal heroes.
    St Pelin is a minor saint whose one major heroic action is getting ganked by vampires.
    Hunding is like the most heroic figure out of all the nine current patrons, but he's only really relevant for Redguard.

Although I do agree that goblins and trolls wouldn't be my first choice of decks.
    Edited by phantasmalD on February 2, 2023 9:30AM
  • Tethilia
    Tethilia
    ✭✭✭
    I really want Divayth Fyr and hope for him in Q4 but Almalexia is a living god so she is great to see represented.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny example, considering that we already have a Maormer deck. King Orgnum is the immortal god-king of the maormer.

Major lore blunder on my part! You can tell I'm not a lore hound. It never dawned on me that Orgnum was a Maormer.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

That wasn't me but I agreed at the time it was a big faux pas!

Ah, my memory failed me ^^
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer Sotha Sil or Vivec deck. Or at least the Tribunal deck. Releasing one separate member of the Tribunal IMO greatly lowers the chances that the others will get their separate decks in the future.

As for what it will be like, no idea. Almalexia is Healing Mother. Maybe expand the agents healing mechanic? Currently we have only one card that utilizes it. Introduce the effects that prevent knock-outs, etc.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hah, I thought of you OP when I heard the news, because I remembered a topic you made about all the Patrons being male (which, imo was a big faux pas).

Considering the word "patron" comes from Latin "pater" which means "father"...
    Sheridan wrote: »
    I'd prefer Sotha Sil or Vivec deck. Or at least the Tribunal deck. Releasing one separate member of the Tribunal IMO greatly lowers the chances that the others will get their separate decks in the future.

I assume it will be related to the chapter's storyline. And it wouldn't be unexpected if there's a focus on Almalexia this time, after Morrowind was mostly about Vivec and CWC about Sotha Sil.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Major lore blunder on my part! You can tell I'm not a lore hound. It never dawned on me that Orgnum was a Maormer.

You also haven't seen the Orgnum Patron ability of creating Maomer Boarding Party cards?
    Don't tank

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a Sotha Sil clockwork/fabricant themed deck would be really cool
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!