The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lights going through walls

The_Conjurer
The_Conjurer
✭✭✭
Does anyone else notice how light goes through walls and such? A candle can be placed on the floor of my house and it will light up a spot in the room on the other side of the wall.
Wayshrine's blue flame also can be seen through the wayshrine's support beams. These are just a few examples. It seems to happen with lights involving a flame. Ive messed around with graphic settings and nothing seems to fix it.
"Jyggalag's forces are gathering in the Fringe...And I HATE IT when people gather forces in my Fringes!" - Sheogorath
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I’ve seen, ALL lights can go through walls and it’s a matter of light radius. Some weaker candles won’t go through the wall/floor, depending on the house (I had made a very dark, chiaroscuro build in Velothi Reverie and some candles and other lights worked while others didn’t, and a magical portal was definitely out). I have found Mathiisen Manor especially problematic for this — even fires in the fireplace light the other side of the wall and light from crystals, Ayleid chandeliers, the vampire azure chandelier, all go through floors, walls, ceilings; I had to abandon the build idea I’d had in mind.
  • PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this is to improve performance. If every light source was to cast a shadow (aka become a projector), it would eat up a lot of GPU cycles, especially in areas where there's a lot of lights.

I mean on PC they're constantly adding new graphical features like DLSS and FSR, so perhaps we'll get raytraced lighting and shadows one day - that would eliminate this problem.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this is to improve performance. If every light source was to cast a shadow (aka become a projector), it would eat up a lot of GPU cycles, especially in areas where there's a lot of lights.

I mean on PC they're constantly adding new graphical features like DLSS and FSR, so perhaps we'll get raytraced lighting and shadows one day - that would eliminate this problem.

True, I wouldn’t expect every object to cast a shadow, but it would be nice if walls, floors, and structural pieces for instance blocked light. Or special furnishing pieces to block light might be ideal since many players take advantage of light passing through walls to light an area without a visible source, etc.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 24, 2023 12:32AM
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is especially noticeable in the Alinor Townhouse. Instead of trying to work around it, I decided to use it as a feature in my lighting scheme and have the lights contrast and play off each other as a color scheme.