The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How often heavy attack for mag/stam recovery?

Everaen
Everaen
✭✭✭
Putting heavy attack builds and playstyles aside... How often do you find yourself needing to heavy attack to restore stam or mag for those that use the typical DoT & spam rotations?

If you never have to heavy attack to sustain, what is an ideal recovery to hit? Do you just gulp potions on cooldown?

I see so many builds online with jewelry that is Bloodthirsty and all in on spell/weapon damage, never for recovery. I don't see how resources hold up indefinitely for a normal rotation unless the character is decked out in cost-reducing trial gear or regularly weaving in heavy attacks.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big time PvEr here but my understanding is that:

Yes, you gulp potions on cool down. This isn't just for sustain-- I think most PvErs get their brutality/savagery that way as well so their rotation doesn't include keeping up buffs.

And I would imagine most people do struggle with sustain when solo. The more meta PvE group players sustain largely with synergies and group support sets.

I don't think you're wrong in your assessment or missing anything from your build currently (other than perhaps cost reducing trial gear as you said,) you just maybe aren't playing in organized groups?

Just my 2 cents. Depending on how difficult the content is, things should kinda die so fast that sustain isn't really an issue. The occasional heavy attack on a boss is perhaps acceptable.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends totally on the content. And we all have to do a little heavy attacking from time to time. I mean, if you have to dodge roll a lot, because you have a fake tank in random normals, it shouldn't be a surprise that your Stamina Bar is empty.

For Solo content I recommend at least 1500. More is better. I fare well with Dubios Camoran and Mommy's Potty Brew.
    Using both mag and stam abilities is the key I think.

In Trials it is usually like @OBJnoob said, you have group support and Synergies. But it depends heavily on what group you are in and what the team wants to do.

4-man groups are kinda in between. You do not get anything in PuGs. But if you organize a regular 4-man group, you can use support sets and optimize your overall performance.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • MurkyWetWolf198
    MurkyWetWolf198
    ✭✭✭
    Siphoning Spells/Bloody Renewal are often enough for random normals. I personally use those, Oakensoul, and literal trash pots (the ones from bosses that lasy 30 seconds and only give one resource) if necessary and, so long I use proper mag/stam balance of skills and a proper light/medium balance fro armor I find sustain to be quite comfortable
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I almost never heavy attack. Personally I find it a failure in my own build if I have to do so consistently (Not to say you’re a failure for needing to ha, like others said I think many people do, I just avoid it myself.) and will switch skills to lower costing or other resource costing skills to make up for it. I don’t recall my recovery off the top of my head, if I remember I’ll come back to this but its mostly through food/cp and I use betty on warden most of the time. Dk I use the restore resources on ult passive.
    Edited by Soarora on January 9, 2023 1:55AM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid makes it great sustain in my opinion and i dont do any heavies as a result when im using a regular non oaken light weaving setup. Like if i ran a primarily stam setup id make all my buffs magpowered and my damaging abilities stam, it totally depends on what im doing and where really.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    On my Stamblade I can burn through 1300 stamina/ second and 500 magicka/second indefinitely with only stamina potions and occasional orbs. It’s a wood elf in mostly medium armor with Braised Rabbit food

My hybrid nightblade has always seemed topped off with resources. But now that I’m trying to squeeze extra damage from coral riptide I have to do things like roll dodge from point A to point B, hold block while waiting, avoid synergy orbs and turn off the Nightblade Executioner passive. My character is the only weirdo rolling around between mob groups in trials (it’s a wee Bosmer so they get a pass for being quirky), but it works out really well. I might do one heavy attack per day to bring back some stamina- after a tank dies and after I’m rolling around too much in a fight to avoid damage.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everaen wrote: »
    Putting heavy attack builds and playstyles aside... How often do you find yourself needing to heavy attack to restore stam or mag for those that use the typical DoT & spam rotations?

If you never have to heavy attack to sustain, what is an ideal recovery to hit? Do you just gulp potions on cooldown?

I see so many builds online with jewelry that is Bloodthirsty and all in on spell/weapon damage, never for recovery. I don't see how resources hold up indefinitely for a normal rotation unless the character is decked out in cost-reducing trial gear or regularly weaving in heavy attacks.

In an optimized trial group you shouldn't really need to heavy attack, and you should be using spell/weapon power potions on cooldown anyways both for the DPS buffs and the resource return, but also the major resource recovery buff they give.

Now that things are hybridized that opens up even more options to help with sustain as you can use skills that utilize your off-resource to give your main resource a break.

In trial groups you should be getting symphony of blades and master's resto to help.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everaen wrote: »

I love sustain sets.
    I'm really liking wretched vitality on my DD stam necro. Still need a few heavy attacks though.
    When you're never in an organized group you have to try to do everything yourself anyway.
    Edited by LittlePinkDot on January 23, 2023 8:39PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not often since my build uses health for damage over magicka, but if I find myself having to heal a lot and my magicka gets low, and my potion is on cooldown, I'll break out the restoration staff and heavy attack with it.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK