The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How much of your housing furniture do you craft ?

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Having recently started crafting (still only about 1 month), and slowly collecting and learning furniture plans/blueprints/etc, I was wondering how much players actually use these.
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390

How much of your housing furniture do you craft ? 37 votes

All crafted
8%
BenTSGkarthrag_inakkatanagirl1 3 votes
Mostly crafted
29%
driosketchHamfastgeezerychrisp51 DojohodaRaddlemanNumber7ghastleyN3CR01Taggundharvey07SpiritKittenHoghorn 11 votes
Mostly collected/purchased
18%
laurajfcalitrumanb14_ESOWuffyCeruleiTheImperfectNissowolfendgamesmugRomanRex 7 votes
All collected/purchased
13%
ManwithBeard9VaranisAranohaelgaanMesitevsrs_au 5 votes
Somewhere in between options 2 and 3
29%
DarcyMardinwenchmore420b14_ESOmerpinsNord_RasericolossalvoidsHroltharNightowl_74Araneae6537LugalduLunaFloraXSTRONG 11 votes
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All collected/purchased
    Mostly purchased. I think the only stuff I collected is what you get from fishing and a few light stalks from farming materials.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have definitely crafted many furnishings, but if you’re on PC, it’s worth checking whether the furnishing is available to buy on traders as you may find it for less than the material cost. It’s also worth checking what’s available from the different zone furnishing vendors — browse through one of the online databases. Early on, I bought some plants from traders and the Crown store, not knowing I could get them relatively cheaply for gold from a zone furnisher NPC.

(Edited for clarity.)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 20, 2023 7:16AM
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did craft furnishings at first then it was all a bit dull compared to the luxury vendor so apart from a handful of crafted i stick to what the vendor offers every week.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I craft some furniture but most of it is bought or aquired.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All crafted
    Everything except items from Luxury Guy, some Antiquities, and some achievement furnishings.

I am assuming that the word “collecting” is used to describe crafted furnishings bought from guild traders or other sources here.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All collected/purchased
    Everything except items from Luxury Guy, some Antiquities, and some achievement furnishings.

I am assuming that the word “collecting” is used to describe crafted furnishings bought from guild traders or other sources here.
    or excavations.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When I'm playing regularly, I craft all my housing items. When I'm not playing regularly, I buy all my housing items. So I'd say inbetween the options.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Building houses is my main enjoyment in ESO. But the cost is pathetically high... (I'll just say: heartwood, mundane runes, ancient sanstone, daedra hearts...)
    I usually buy small furniture from traders and make expensive structural components and furniture myself. And if I'm sometimes too lazy to collect again masses of heartwood and mundane runes and want to finish a project quickly, then I buy some stuff in the housing shop.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to enjoy furnishing homes, but thanks to the higher cost of mats for new furnishings and the hyper inflated cost of furnishing materials in general, I have stopped furnishing homes entirely. It's a shame too because my crafter knows almost all of the available furnishing plans in the game.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly crafted
    I prefer to use stuff I can craft on my own, but i have some I purchased during guild auctions and then luxury and achievement items.
  • laurajf
    laurajf
    ✭✭✭
    I mostly gave up on housing because it's so expensive and grindy. Houses on the store are too big and too expensive.

Nowadays, if I do get the urge to play around with housing, I have plenty of houses I bought when housing was first introduced that are still empty, and I tend to just buy furniture from traders and use stuff I picked up from Antiquities if I like them. I don't buy furniture from the crown store because most of what I want from there is too expensive.

When housing was first introduced, I was so excited and jumped right in, trying to collect all furniture recipes and all the mats to craft them, but as time went on and it became harder and harder to collect any decent furniture recipes, the RNG of finding regular mats when harvesting, the cost of mats per recipe, and then the difficulty of getting the new mats in the DLCs, housing just stopped being fun, so I gave up for the most part. :(
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    laurajf wrote: »
    the difficulty of getting the new mats in the DLCs, housing just stopped being fun, so I gave up for the most part. :(

The difficulty of farming new mats and in the case of furnishing plans like the Druidic plans, the difficulty of getting those plans to drop as well. As I get older and have less gaming time, I want to be spending less of that time doing meaningless grinding.

Edited by CGPsaint on January 21, 2023 7:37PM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All crafted
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    the difficulty of getting the new mats in the DLCs, housing just stopped being fun, so I gave up for the most part. :(

The difficulty of farming new mats and in the case of furnishing plans like the Druidic plans, the difficulty of getting those plans to drop as well. As I get older and have less gaming time, I want to be spending less of that time doing meaningly grinding.

I agree. So far I think I have gotten 2-3 blue Druidic plans. A lot of wasted time and crushing boredom to get those.

ZOS has reduced the grind for gear with the sticker book and curation, but increased it with worse RNG for furnishing plans.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

The difficulty of farming new mats and in the case of furnishing plans like the Druidic plans, the difficulty of getting those plans to drop as well. As I get older and have less gaming time, I want to be spending less of that time doing meaningly grinding.

I agree. So far I think I have gotten 2-3 blue Druidic plans. A lot of wasted time and crushing boredom to get those.

ZOS has reduced the grind for gear with the sticker book and curation, but increased it with worse RNG for furnishing plans.

To-date I've pulled new purple plans in Galen 3 times, of which two were Druidic and two were new High Isle plans. After those pulls, I've pulled 6 purples which were all base zone plans (High Elf, Wood Elf, Orcish, etc.), which leads me to believe that not only is the drop rate ridiculously low, but it seems like ZOS also went ahead and watered the drops down with old plans as well.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly crafted
    I craft everything I can, use lux vendor, antiquities, achievement vendors as well as zone housing vendors items.

I buy furniture mats if I run out. I like the satisfaction of crafting everything myself.

For the first time ever, last night I bought 2 furnishing items rather than craft them myself because there was only one pattern on the TTC site and it was going for 5.6 million, so I just bought 2 pre-crafted furnishings for 140k. Yes, it was a druid pattern.

I do sell excess furniture.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing I look into when there's a piece I've decided on, is crafting it myself. Often the more impressive items turn out to be either crown store or luxury vendor exclusive, but I craft a lot of lights and other basic stuff. If it isn't outrageously expensive I'll buy the recipe off a trader, even though the actual item is invariably cheaper.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly crafted
    It would have been “all” but the game does drops furnishings in loot, and I don’t refuse them. I buy plans, not made items, and then only after a reasonable attempt to acquire the plan directly. After a while, you know when RNG has decided against you.

There are also a number of furnishing items you just can’t make. Books were one, but there is now an exception. Firelogs are still crown-only purchases, and there are no fires you can construct. So craft-only just is not viable.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly crafted
    I would buy more of the crown housing items if they were PLANS and not one piece of furniture at an outrageous price.