Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why does controller input only activate a skill on button release and not button press?

REV0
REV0
Soul Shriven
I noticed a while ago, playing on Xbox, that when holding down a button used on the skill bar (X, Y, B, LB, RB) it isn't activated until that same button is released, I feel this only adds to the input latency issue experienced in ESO.

The menus and 'A' (jump) button in ESO don't behave this way and other games I've played don't register controller input this way either.

So, why do skills activate on button release instead of button press and is there a reason for this unusual controller input behaviour?

I haven't tested this on PC or PlayStation.

This is my first post so sorry if I haven't posted this question in the correct category.
Xbox EU
  • Tyhar
    Tyhar
    ✭✭
    My guess would be because the way block and heavy attack work. They are probably tied into same category with skills so they all work the same. Other than that, I have no idea. I play on playstation and have never thought about this as this is only way I have ever played. It all just feels natural to me.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keyboard and mouse do it the same way iirc.
  • REV0
    REV0
    Soul Shriven
    Tyhar wrote: »
    My guess would be because the way block and heavy attack work. They are probably tied into same category with skills so they all work the same. Other than that, I have no idea. I play on playstation and have never thought about this as this is only way I have ever played. It all just feels natural to me.

Interesting, I wouldn't say that block and heavy attacks work this way as that action requires you to hold the button and they are also still activated on button press unlike skills in the skill bar.
    Xbox EU
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe it might be handled this way to help ensure more accurate HOLD options. You can bind any gamepad key to do something differently if it is held. Though I'd be surprised if input is still tracked on release even if you don't have anything mapped to HOLD on that button. 😅