Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there any way to force creating items for writs ?

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
By the title I mean: force creating items, instead of using items already in your inventory.

More than once, I've had my daily alchemy writ marked completed as soon as I accept it, because the writ happens to be for an Essence of Health potion. The only problem with this is that I have some Essence of Health potions stocked up in my inventory already, and they're very good ones, which I don't want to use for the writ.

Today, when I noticed the writ was already marked completed, I went to a bank, deposited all my Essence of Health potions, went back to the alchemy station to complete the writ, handed in the writ, then went back to the bank to retrieve what I'd just deposited. Obviously, all of this was pretty inconvenient.

So, can I force writs not to use items in my inventory ? Perhaps there's an addon which would do this ? I currently have the CraftStore addon, but it doesn't have any such setting.
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Mithgil
    Mithgil
    ✭✭✭
    The short answer is no. Nothing in the vanilla game, no addon (that I'm aware of) could do that for you.

It takes/counts them from your existing inventory if that character crafted them. You'd have to craft the potion anyway.
    PC NA Yes, I use add-ons.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mithgil wrote: »
    The short answer is no. Nothing in the vanilla game, no addon (that I'm aware of) could do that for you.

It takes/counts them from your existing inventory if that character crafted them. You'd have to craft the potion anyway.
    In my case, the writs (on 2 occasions) took a health potion from my inventory that was crafted, but not by me, because I bought someone else's crafted potions. So it seems I have no option but to carefully examine my alchemy writs in future, in case I need to temporarily move my good health potions to the bank while I do the writ.
  • Mithgil
    Mithgil
    ✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »

In my case, the writs (on 2 occasions) took a health potion from my inventory that was crafted, but not by me, because I bought someone else's crafted potions. So it seems I have no option but to carefully examine my alchemy writs in future, in case I need to temporarily move my good health potions to the bank while I do the writ.

Writs won't take items crafted by another player at all. They have to be tagged as crafted by your character. If the potions are the same as ones you have crafted and are in inventory then when they stack they can take on an "identity" label as crafted by you. I think the only crafting writs that take items made by another character on your account is Provisioning (this may no longer be a thing).
    Edited by Mithgil on January 16, 2023 6:47PM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Writs won't take items crafted by another player at all. They have to be tagged as crafted by your character. If the potions are the same as ones you have crafted and are in inventory then when they stack they can take on an "identity" label as crafted by you. I think the only crafting writs that take items made by another character on your account is Provisioning (this may no longer be a thing).
    I've already mentioned that 2 of my alchemy writs automatically completed based on potions crafted by someone else that I bought. I could see the inventory amount of these potions reduce by 1 when I turned in the writ.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy can be made by any character and used for writs.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Normal writs will take items crafted by another player.

Masterwrits will only take the item crafted by the character that accepted the writ. [Found this out the hard way when I accepted a masterwrit on a character that didn't know that recipe. 2 weeks and 39k later, she learned the recipe and turned in the master writ]
  • Mithgil
    Mithgil
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

Masterwrits will only take the item crafted by the character that accepted the writ. [Found this out the hard way when I accepted a masterwrit on a character that didn't know that recipe. 2 weeks and 39k later, she learned the recipe and turned in the master writ]

I can't even have one of my own items crafted by character A on my account be allowed to count for a normal writ with the exception of Provisioning creations. I have, on occasion, crafted say an Iron Sword by accident when I needed to make a Rubedite Sword. I have banked the Iron Sword and gone onto another character that gets the same normal writ, taken the item out of my bank. I have done with after accepting the writ on a that second character (knowing it's getting the writ requiring the iron sword, cuirass, and greaves) along with prior to accepting the writ quest. I have 8 characters doing daily writs. If I can't get gear items to count for a normal writ made by my other characters I can't see how items made by another player actual fulfill that. As I said, I know it works between my characters for Provisioning. I haven't seen it count for Alchemy or Enchanting but I have not ever needed to try for those. Someone above mentioned it works for Alchemy no matter who makes it.

By the way in case anyone is wondering I am a Grand Master Crafter and also get several Master Writs to complete. If you're on PC, using the addon Writ Worthy is quite handy.
    Edited by Mithgil on January 19, 2023 12:27AM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

I can't even have one of my own items crafted by character A on my account be allowed to count for a normal writ with the exception of Provisioning creations. I have, on occasion, crafted say an Iron Sword by accident when I needed to make a Rubedite Sword. I have banked the Iron Sword and gone onto another character that gets the same normal writ, taken the item out of my bank. I have done with after accepting the writ on a that second character (knowing it's getting the writ requiring the iron sword, cuirass, and greaves) along with prior to accepting the writ quest. I have 8 characters doing daily writs. If I can't get gear items to count for a normal writ made by my other characters I can't see how items made by another player actual fulfill that. As I said, I know it works between my characters for Provisioning. I haven't seen it count for Alchemy or Enchanting but I have not ever needed to try for those. Someone above mentioned it works for Alchemy no matter who makes it.

By the way in case anyone is wondering I am a Grand Master Crafter and also get several Master Writs to complete. If you're on PC, using the addon Writ Worthy is quite handy.

Strange. Maybe they've changed things. Not only have I done writs with alts on the same account making stuff if my main didn't know the motif/recipe at the time, but guildies have made stuff for me on occasion, and it worked fine.