The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Are nord Dk still “the best” for tanks atm

RedRoomGaming
RedRoomGaming
✭✭✭
I’m bored with my Templar and all my dds. Fed up of healing and want to go back to tank.

Although when I tanked I used my Templar so it was a healer/tank never anything else. Never made a dk before so it would be a fresh out of the box toon.

Is nord still good for the passives or shall I go for imperial for the extra stats?

Thank you
PS4 Eu Server
  • Stampler - RedRoomGaming - V16
  • Mageblade - Beard Of Molag - v3
  • High Elf Sorc - Man Of Potato - V16

Best Answers

• Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can Tank on all Classes, just need to know how. Self healing and knowing how to sustain are important.
    Some Classes have advantages over the others, like Warden and Templar can recover Stamina while blocking, for example.
    I think Dragonknights are intentionally designed to be Tanks. A lot of their class passives are uniquely useful for "classical" tanking. 😅 Pun intended... 🤭

With the Races it is a little bit different. Races with Sustain, cost Reduction and high bonus in Ressources are best. That means primarily Imperials and Bretons. Yes, Bretons. Just think of how many Tanks have to use the Attronach mundus to sustain their magicka abilities.

Nords are good too, because of the Ultimate generation and the Ressources. That makes them really good choices for Off Tanks, imo. The flat armor increase is sometimes redundant, because your gear and abilities as Main Tanks push you over the cap already. On the other hand Tanking in only one piece of Heavy Armor becomes an option this way and opens up build diversity.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on January 18, 2023 5:01PM
    read, think and write.In that order.
    Answer ✓
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK is and will likely always be the top tank class.

Nord is the top tank race for experienced players that know how to manage their sustain as a tank.

Necro is probably the second most popular tank class, maybe most popular off-tank class due to the utility they bring to the table and the fact that the have reduced damage from dots applied to them. Most of the damage that you need to worry about most as a tank are dots, as AOEs are either avoidable or don't hit very hard, and hard direct damage attacks should be mitigated with block. That leaves dots; bleeds, poison, fire etc.
    Answer ✓
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights are still BiS tanks, yes. I believe warden, necromancer, and templar are also strong choices. Imperial and Nord do have the most useful passives for tanking. Personally, I think what you enjoy is most important and you’ll take the time and effort to optimize.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 10, 2023 11:49PM
  • RedRoomGaming
    RedRoomGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Dragonknights are still BiS tanks, yes. I believe warden, necromancer, and templar are also strong choices. Imperial and Nord do have the most useful passives for tanking. Personally, I think what you enjoy is most important and you’ll take the time and effort to optimize.

I’ve got like 5 imperial templars for crafting writs I just love playing as that tbf then sorcerers. I suppose to could go imperial for the extra stats and if it’s not working do a race change and find out if that works better. But I loved tanking and healing at the same time it was a beast of a build and I had loads of fun with it
    PS4 Eu Server
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just tank with what you like to play

Used to be a DD before I realised to be meta I had to give up the rotation i am fond off for cookie cutter skills even though NB aren't exactly meant to be a tank class with how little they can offer for the team they do have a solid "stay alive" kit
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a tank for every class but the funniest to play is my NB tank.
    Due to his insane damage reduction and stamina management you can choose every race (mine is khajiit for recoveries and crit healing)
    PC-EU
  • AJTC5000
    AJTC5000
    ✭✭✭
    Found recently that Templar tanks in high level PvE content suffer from a lack of a health-scaled burst heal, meaning if you're taking a lot of sudden high-damage attacks (e.g. Kjalnar's Fist in Unhallowed, Corruption of Root in ERE) you really need your healer to be helping you out. Really wish they'd rework Honor the Dead, or one of the clap heal morphs, in order to deal with this (but I suspect this will adversely affect PvP, so probably will never happen). I just personally don't feel Radiant Ward makes up for the lack of a proper burst heal.
    Edited by AJTC5000 on January 12, 2023 10:37AM
    • PC/NA - @AJTC5000
      DC - Alena-Draco - Dunmer Magicka Templar

PvE Achievements
      Trials
      • vHRC HM
      • vAA HM
      • vSO HM
      • vMoL HM (Dro-m'Athra Destroyer)
      • vHoF HM (Tick-Tock Tormentor/The Dynamo)
      • vAS HM (Saintly Saviour/Immortal Redeemer)
      • vCR HM
      • vSS HM
      • vRG (Oax HM)
      • vDSR (Reef Guardian HM)

Arenas
      • vMA Flawless
      • vBRP
      • vVA Flawless (Spirit Slayer)

Dungeons
      • vFL HM (Leave No Bone Unbroken)
      • vSCP HM (Mountain God)
      • vMHK HM (Pure Lunacy)
      • vMoS HM (Apex Predator)
      • vFV HM (Relentless Raider)
      • vDoM HM (Depths Defier)
      • vLoM HM (Nature's Wrath)
      • vMGF HM (Defanged the Devourer)
      • vIcereach HM (No Rest for the Wicked/Storm Foe)
      • vUG HM (In Defiance of Death/Bonecaller's Bane)
      • vSG HM
      • vCT HM (Bane of Thorns)
      • vBDV HM (Ardent Bibliophile)
      • vCauldron HM (Subterranean Smasher)
      • vRPB HM (Bastion Breaker/of the Silver Rose)
      • vDC HM (Battlespire's Best/The Dreaded)
      • vCA HM
      • vSR HM
      • vERE HM (Invaders' Bane)
      • vGD HM (Fist of Tava)
      • vSH HM (Magnastylus in the Making/Curator's Champion)
      • vBS HM (Temporal Tempest)
  • RedRoomGaming
    RedRoomGaming
    ✭✭✭
    AJTC5000 wrote: »
    Found recently that Templar tanks in high level PvE content suffer from a lack of a health-scaled burst heal, meaning if you're taking a lot of sudden high-damage attacks (e.g. Kjalnar's Fist in Unhallowed, Corruption of Root in ERE) you really need your healer to be helping you out. Really wish they'd rework Honor the Dead, or one of the clap heal morphs, in order to deal with this (but I suspect this will adversely affect PvP, so probably will never happen). I just personally don't feel Radiant Ward makes up for the lack of a proper burst heal.

When I was imperial Templar healer tank it was end 2016 or early 2017. All I did was pull the boss and adds and heal it was unstoppable until an update screwed up something. But I loved playing a tank and tbf if you can get good at it it’ll be even more fun.

Currently using nord so as I get to level 50 I can see if it works for me and if not ch age it around
    PS4 Eu Server
  • RedRoomGaming
    RedRoomGaming
    ✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »
    I have a tank for every class but the funniest to play is my NB tank.
    Due to his insane damage reduction and stamina management you can choose every race (mine is khajiit for recoveries and crit healing)

Funnily enough a lot of people have said NB are great for tanking when chatting in guilds. I guess after levelling my dk (which I hate) I can do a NB as I deleted my NB as I thought I’d never use it and unneeded crafters
    PS4 Eu Server
  • Skelfish
    Skelfish
    ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind "best" is a term primarily used for hard mode trials and score pushing. While "best" can also refer to "easiest to get good with" for people inexperienced in a role. In terms of skill offerings and technical ease to learn, DK is still considered number 1. Stamina return with a class shield that is meant to be spammed, magicka chain skill, damage reduction passives and healing received passives all contribute to a class that both has a low skill floor and a high skill ceiling (once you add in good Stagger debuff up times).

Necromancer is generally considered number 2 by higher skill players in part due to its survivability in the newest trials that feature a ton of damage over time that needs to be healed through or mitigated. Necros have a class passive that reduces DoT damage, and has several power healing over time abilities, and a couple skills that have unique modifiers for reducing damage that stack with Major/Minor named buffs.

Whether these two classes FEEL good is a different story, as evidenced by other posters who advise to go with what sounds cool. Unless you're intending to get to hard mode score pushing trial level, or have a specific desire to play classes with more group benefit, it's actually recommended to go with what you like. For me personally, I really like the group buffs that warden is able to bestow, but I have a difficult time maintaining interest in the tanking style. I have a warden healer instead because it feels better. I don't like using sorcs because I don't want to visually impair a tank with my pets, but tanking with the class is fun because it's visually satisfying and has interesting utility skills like the teleport.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the Races it is a little bit different. Races with Sustain, cost Reduction and high bonus in Ressources are best. That means primarily Imperials and Bretons. Yes, Bretons. Just think of how many Tanks have to use the Attronach mundus yo sustain their magicka abilities.

The main problem with breton is that you're going to need to take points away from your health pool to boost your stamina, especially if you plan to wear some of the meta tanking sets like encratis, PA, and sax as they all also have lines of magicka, and health becomes a super valuable stat in vet and HM trials, with several heals and shields being based on health.

Breton Warden tank in Cloudrest however is OP because you can just go all in on mag and heals.