The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Selling Housing Items in eso

Somber97866
Somber97866
✭✭✭✭✭
I've come to the conclusion that many ppl in eso don't own real life businesses by just looking at the price of housing items compared to the cost of materials.
The loss of possible income is staggering and I'm at loss for the sheer ignorance of it all. [snip]
So to all that read this post please take a minute and look at the prices of raw materials and do some simple math and please come to the same conclusion I have and help yourself out and price your goods accordingly for goodness sake. You look ridiculous trying to sell and incense burner that takes at least on purple plating to make at 70k????????!!!!!!!?????? It's a 130k ( at close to minimum) to buy a purple plating ( zircon) so why sell it for 70k?

[edited for baiting]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 17, 2023 11:06AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There may be some assumptions being made as to why someone is selling a crafted furnishing for less than the value of the jewelry crafting material that went into crafting the furnishing.

So I will make an assumption of my own. That is that the incense burner in question (and any similar item) would sell for much more than these players are listing it for. If this is the case it would make sense to keep quiet about it, buy them up, and flip them. Get rich quickly without having to do the work aquiring the matts.

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would assume that people listing items below cost did not craft them to sell. They may have acquired them a different way or maybe they no longer want the furnishing but it will not sell at the material cost because there isn’t demand for it, or at least not within a timeframe acceptable to the seller, and if you no longer want an item, it is better to get SOMETHING for it, and not have it occupy a spot on an expensive trader until it potentially expires.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would assume that people listing items below cost did not craft them to sell. They may have acquired them a different way or maybe they no longer want the furnishing but it will not sell at the material cost because there isn’t demand for it, or at least not within a timeframe acceptable to the seller, and if you no longer want an item, it is better to get SOMETHING for it, and not have it occupy a spot on an expensive trader until it potentially expires.

Agreed--especially if it's on a busy trader, I'd assume they know the value of the underlying mats, and just listing it lower for a quick sale.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this.

To be honest, I think it just goes to show how ridiculously expensive furnishing mats have become. I occasionally sell furnishings I no longer need, and I see how the crafting costs of these items have shot up through the years. It's honestly embarrassing trying to sell a wooden stool for 16000 gold.
  • LikiLoki
    LikiLoki
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sell furniture. I always calculate the cost of the materials spent, then add the guild commission. But! Even if I don't put my percentage, my product is still more expensive than the average price. I understand your rage, but you don't take into account that TESO has a more complex market. For example, a permanent furniture maker buys the material and includes it in the price, a random seller receives the same material after a daily task and does not understand its cost, he is not a professional seller - his price will be lower. Then there is the category of people with an unlimited craft bag who have room to maneuver in the possibility of playing with the price of the material. Next, there is a category of superprofessionals who can exhibit items in categories and specifically exhibit one product at a loss for themselves in order to sell another product with a double benefit. TESO has a primitive economy, but its system is several times more complex and better than other games. I welcome different prices, a fragmented market, a kiosk system - this is an ingenious solution of the developer
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's my thinking too. I never make or farm anything specifically to sell it, everything I put on my guild trader is something I got as a random drop and can't use, or was using and no longer need. In both cases what I may have paid had I chosen to craft it to sell is irrelevant to me because that didn't happen and by far the most important consideration is that I want it gone, I'm only selling it because it's better than deleting it so I'm happy to take what I can get.

Especially when you consider furniture cannot be deconstructed to get back those valuable materials, so once it's crafted the value of the materials is less important, unless you're crafting it to sell. There's no way for anyone to turn that incense burner into a purple plating so the hypothetical value of it is irrelevant.

It's similar to how 2nd hand shops like CEX are able to do business in real life. I know for a fact the games I trade in there are worth more than they'll give me, because I know they're going to sell them on for more. But the extra profit is not worth the time and hassle of finding someone willing to buy them from me for the full value, I'd rather take the loss as a convenience fee.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I see an item I want in a guild store for a cheap price, I'm happy and I buy it (and I assume the seller is selling something they don't need and want to get rid of, obviously, because getting a bit of gold is still better than having it in your bank and not having any use for it at all). Others come to the forum and create a thread to criticize the alleged stupidity of the seller. To each their own, I guess.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is why my first sentence was that there may be assumptions being made. None of us know what went on before the person posted the item for sale and I doubt there is anyone who would spend more to craft an item than it would sell for knowingly.

Furthermore, the likelihood of any specific player reading this thread is extremely low since forum users are a very small fraction of the active player base.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.

If I may suggest, the topic is more about crafting and trading than it is about housing.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes purposefully sell off junk items below cost just to get rid of them, since they aren't popular items that will sell without the incentive of it being low price. I crafted them to use and then realized I didn't want or need it. In such a situation, better to get something back than to hit destroy. I think if the listing isn't just an accident, it's probably a safe assumption that whoever is trying to sell it is in the same situation.

This is similar to how many used goods are sold IRL.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 17, 2023 8:10PM
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    As has been mentioned, i will sell stuff i no longer want very cheap to get rid of them, plus some of the items i may have bought/made when the mats were 50% cheaper so i am fine selling them off now at lower cost without concern of the current crafting material cost.

And yes sometimes i find super cheap items i buy then resell for a little more, but still often under crafting cost.
  • Thysbe
    Thysbe
    ✭✭
    Convenience

When I am decorating a house I just craft what I like inside and try it, dont want to travel to a guild trader to get it and then back into the house. The excess is sold off after I am done, same for tearing down an old build.

from a business perspective I say its pointless to try sell above demand price just because crafting costs are higher, it will just sit there and block your sale slots and cost listing fees.