The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do found weapons key off what you are using?

ReachDaBeach
I am at lv 18 now. I have been using a great sword the last few levels because I keep finding better ones to upgrade. I would also like to try sword and shield, but it has been several levels since I found. If I get to lv 20 without them, I may just break down and buy them. I got rid of what I had because the levels were so low, like lv 4 on the shield and 8 or so on the sword. I have found staffs, which I use sometimes and I was just rewarded a bow and equipped it in the second slot even though it isn't a preferred weapon for me in this game.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapon types from basic enemies and treasure chests are random.

Quest reward weapons are set.

Bosses will drop specific types of overland set pieces: "Delve bosses drop a waist, foot, or unique item piece. Overland bosses drop a head, chest, leg, weapon, or unique item piece. Public dungeon bosses drop a shoulder, hand, weapon, or unique item piece."

If you have the skill points and materials, you can always craft your own preferred weapons. You could also try asking in zone chat if someone can craft you "level 18 training sword and shield" or something like that.
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 8, 2023 3:00PM
  • ReachDaBeach
    Really haven't gotten into crafting; that bores me to tears. I ended up finding on level one handed sword and ax, plus a shield right after posting.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as far as i know, weapons arent weighted any particular way

armor is (or at least it was dont know if it still is) slightly weighted towards what you are currently wearing
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • ReachDaBeach
    as far as i know, weapons arent weighted any particular way

armor is (or at least it was dont know if it still is) slightly weighted towards what you are currently wearing

Armor definitely is. I am on my first ever toon, a Templar, and have been using heavy. I have been advised that for my play style, medium might be better, so I was going to set aside a few pieces instead of taking things I don't use to deconstruct or sell. But I only seem to find heavy armor.