The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The Minstrel Personality Plays a Flat Note

FoolishOptimist
FoolishOptimist
✭✭✭
I was genuinely very hyped for this personality and have the crowns ready to purchase. The dream of waltzing down the road all merrily with my flute, or marching along to the beat of war drums was soon to be realised!

I’ll admit to being deeply disappointed while previewing the pack in the crown store.

The personality re-skins existing instruments with a notably more flashy look, but they’re nothing new. While there are a number of idle emotions that you can select, there’s no change to the walking, jogging or sprinting animations.

I wasn’t entirely expecting such an animation to have sound, as that would potentially be frustrating to other players, but even letting us walk while holding our instruments would probably have been enough to convince me to make the purchase.

The Minstrel Personality fails to live up to its name and I feel it’s more of an emote pack than a fleshed out personality, and as such I won’t be making the purchase.

What are your thoughts?
Edited by FoolishOptimist on April 14, 2022 3:03AM
  • saar
    saar
    ✭✭✭
    appropriate username :tongue:
    I do feel that 2000 crowns is a bit much for what it is, and there is a growing trend of personalities being underwhelming or charged out the butt (see, Maniacal Jester). In contrast Treasure Hunter was 1000 crowns with several animations and the torch has utility outside of just RP.
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭
    I agree this personality does not feel as I imagined. It is really an emote collection with slightly changes. "Idle" status should be someting more suitable. for me it is not worth.
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Not as I imagined ' is what I usually see from people who were disappointed in this personality. Fair, considering it was datamined back in Greymoor.

Considering the number of altered animations for me the price is fair. New animations, especially for the lute, are amazing accuracy whise. Idle is as lively as Maniacal one but with less ticks and more calm. I appreciate that, because I was using jester and honesty not a fan of him playing with daggers all the time. But these two stand out a lot from others.

For each is their own, I suppose.
    Edited by TiaFrye on April 14, 2022 8:48AM
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i brought it because its the closest i'll ever get to being a real bard.. #disapointed
  • meekmiko
    meekmiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really reaaaally hoping your character would always have the lute out, like they do with the /idle2.
    That was the one thing I really wanted out of the personality.

Finally finding out after all this time that it doesn't is just highly disappointing.
    Edited by meekmiko on April 14, 2022 5:51PM
    🌟PC/NA CP2025+ [Been playing since 2016]
    vMA / vVH / vDSA / vBRP / vAA HM / vSO HM / vHRC HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS+1 & +1 / vCR+2 / vSS / vKA/ vRG
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer / Bosmer StamSorc (DPS) -Main DPS-
    • ☀️ 🛡️ EP - Mihi'Mai-Ra, Plague of Peryite / Khajiit StamPlar (Tank) -Main Tank-
    • ☀️ ✨ EP - Lady Lapa'au, The Magnanimous / Khajiit MagPlar (Healer) -Main Healer-
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Ra'venk, Style Master / Khajiit MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ EP - Bird gra-Shuzgub, Forge Breaker / Orc StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ✨ EP - Blades-at-the-Ready, Witch / Argonian MagBlade (Healer)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Lady Fortuna the Blessed, Grand Champion / Imperial StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🔥 🛡️ EP - Plays-in Volcanoes, Mystic / Argonian StamDK (Tank)
    • 💀 ☄️ EP - Ko'shamari the Doomweaver, Dovahkriid / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 🌱 ✨ EP - Sorvete, Countess / Khajiit StamDen (Healer)
    • 🔥 🏹 EP - Falora Veloth, The Merciless / Dunmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 🌩️ 🛡️ AD - Shimmers-with-Static, Spark of Vengeance / Argonian StamSorc (Tank)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Amarri-do the Magnificent, Clan Mother / Khajiit StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Z'majii-dar the Quick, Battlegrounds Butcher / Khajiit StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ EP - Habasi the Glamorous, Seeker of Artifacts / Khajiit StamDK (DPS)
    • ❄️ 🛡️ EP - Elísabet Skull-Smasher, Thane of Falkreath / Nord StamDen (Tank)
    • 🗡️ 🛡️ EP - Yana-la the Iron Lotus, Silver Knight / Khajiit StamBlade (Tank)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Mog gra-Ushug the Scholar, Master Historian / Orc MagCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🔨 EP - Mamaea the Sledgehammer, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🏹 AD - Elsyiir Lichenhollow, Lady / Bosmer StamCanist (DPS)
    • & I only dabble on the PC/EU server sometimes
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun / Bosmer StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Sings-a-Song-of-Storms / Argonian StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ☄️ DC - Helainie the Shadebringer / Breton MagBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Steals-Many-Hearts / Argonian MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Pashet the Nimble / Khajiit StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🔥 🏹☄️ EP - Furoni the Ember / Dunmer HybridDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Am-Kesh / Argonian MagCanist (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ AD - Eldrinthr the Flame-Heart / Bosmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ AD - Bajaa the Blackened Beast / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 💀 ⚔️ AD - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt / Khajiit StamNecro (DPS)
  • j'uan
    j'uan
    ✭✭
    meekmiko wrote: »
    I was really reaaaally hoping your character would always have the lute out, like they do with the /idle2.
    That was the one thing I really wanted out of the personality.

Finally finding out after all this time that it doesn't is just highly disappointing.

If you want your character to always have the lute in his hands you can use the "Custom idle animation" addon. Just for this addon I bought the personality. Now sometimes my character has the lute in his hands and sometimes he plays it :)
    Edited by j'uan on April 14, 2022 11:42PM
  • FoolishOptimist
    FoolishOptimist
    ✭✭✭
    j'uan wrote: »
    If you want your character to always have the lute in his hands you can use the "Custom idle animation" addon. Just for this addon I bought the personality. Now sometimes my character has the lute in his hands and sometimes he plays it :)

Not everyone plays on PC with access to add ons, and ZoS shouldn’t make a habit of outsourcing solutions to the community.
    Edited by FoolishOptimist on April 15, 2022 5:55PM
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one thought maybe the bum note was intentional? Live music is not always flawless ...

The price was indeed high but there has obviously been a lot of work put into this.

Khajiit does not recognise all of the lute tunes though. Maybe someone could help with this?

The new drum emote was especially good.

This one and her fellow performers were using the personality last evening to greet some of the new kittens arriving on KR.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • j'uan
    j'uan
    ✭✭

Not everyone plays on PC with access to add ons, and ZoS shouldn’t make a habit of outsourcing solutions to the community.

However, it may be helpful to others.
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like it and I was worried that we would be always walking with our lute, I want more subtle idle animations on new personalities and this delievers that perfectly. The instruments are secondary for me, I know I'm in the minority tho.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that if they ever made a bard personality, it should look like this:

ArVLYi3.jpg

But since it doesn't involve walking with a swagger, playing a lute and humming, I don't think I'll be getting it :sweat_smile:
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The personality seem to be suffering from hiccups, paranoia and delusions :D

the personality in itself looks ok but suddenly after awhile it gets startled and starts nodding, pointing and looking wildly from side to side(when you are in an empty room it makes the character looks crazy)
    I was expecting more swagger and less follower of Sheogorath.
    Edited by Aztrias on April 17, 2022 2:35PM
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • meekmiko
    meekmiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That and the fact that if we just wanted to use it as a glorified Emote then they could've just released an Emotes Pack that updated the Lute, Flute, and Drum animations..

Nothing about this personality portrays a Bard from the idle stance. They just stand there kinda stiffly and look left and right and rinse and repeat. It just looks weird and like Aztrias said it makes them look crazy.
    🌟PC/NA CP2025+ [Been playing since 2016]
    vMA / vVH / vDSA / vBRP / vAA HM / vSO HM / vHRC HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS+1 & +1 / vCR+2 / vSS / vKA/ vRG
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer / Bosmer StamSorc (DPS) -Main DPS-
    • ☀️ 🛡️ EP - Mihi'Mai-Ra, Plague of Peryite / Khajiit StamPlar (Tank) -Main Tank-
    • ☀️ ✨ EP - Lady Lapa'au, The Magnanimous / Khajiit MagPlar (Healer) -Main Healer-
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Ra'venk, Style Master / Khajiit MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ EP - Bird gra-Shuzgub, Forge Breaker / Orc StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ✨ EP - Blades-at-the-Ready, Witch / Argonian MagBlade (Healer)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Lady Fortuna the Blessed, Grand Champion / Imperial StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🔥 🛡️ EP - Plays-in Volcanoes, Mystic / Argonian StamDK (Tank)
    • 💀 ☄️ EP - Ko'shamari the Doomweaver, Dovahkriid / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 🌱 ✨ EP - Sorvete, Countess / Khajiit StamDen (Healer)
    • 🔥 🏹 EP - Falora Veloth, The Merciless / Dunmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 🌩️ 🛡️ AD - Shimmers-with-Static, Spark of Vengeance / Argonian StamSorc (Tank)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Amarri-do the Magnificent, Clan Mother / Khajiit StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Z'majii-dar the Quick, Battlegrounds Butcher / Khajiit StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ EP - Habasi the Glamorous, Seeker of Artifacts / Khajiit StamDK (DPS)
    • ❄️ 🛡️ EP - Elísabet Skull-Smasher, Thane of Falkreath / Nord StamDen (Tank)
    • 🗡️ 🛡️ EP - Yana-la the Iron Lotus, Silver Knight / Khajiit StamBlade (Tank)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Mog gra-Ushug the Scholar, Master Historian / Orc MagCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🔨 EP - Mamaea the Sledgehammer, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🏹 AD - Elsyiir Lichenhollow, Lady / Bosmer StamCanist (DPS)
    • & I only dabble on the PC/EU server sometimes
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun / Bosmer StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Sings-a-Song-of-Storms / Argonian StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ☄️ DC - Helainie the Shadebringer / Breton MagBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Steals-Many-Hearts / Argonian MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Pashet the Nimble / Khajiit StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🔥 🏹☄️ EP - Furoni the Ember / Dunmer HybridDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Am-Kesh / Argonian MagCanist (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ AD - Eldrinthr the Flame-Heart / Bosmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ AD - Bajaa the Blackened Beast / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 💀 ⚔️ AD - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt / Khajiit StamNecro (DPS)
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread pretty much confirms what I could glean from previewing it. Did not buy. Not trying to be cheap here but as far as a personality goes, I've yet to find one that suits my elf as well as 'Cheerful'.

I'd rather see the vanilla lute, drum, flute emotes updated to prettier instruments as just part of improving and keeping the game up to date. Oh, and as part of improving the game in general, your companion should dance their racial dance whenever you play an instrument.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh, and as part of improving the game in general, your companion should dance their racial dance whenever you play an instrument.

Okay now I'm picturing Bastian doing that goofy-as-hell Imperial dance and I'm not sure whether that would be blessed or cursed. :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it, the best thing about this personality for me is that it can be used on non-bard characters too. I think the default stance is so, so so much better than the regular idle stance, and the head and eye movement instantly makes characters feel more alive, it single handedly gets rid of the dead stare that ESO characters suffered from.

I expected a niche personality but was very pleasantly surprised that I could actually use it as my new default one, my character has never looked so alive. <3

Also note that it Does change the walk, very subtly! When walking, male characters slightly lurch forward, which has annoyed me since forever haha. The bard personality slightly changes the character's posture to be more upright, and walking instantly looks way more natural. As a roleplayer I do a lot of walking haha, so this was instantly noticeable to me!

For me the only downside to this personality is that it's available for only 2 weeks, I think every player should always have the choice of purchasing this, it's That good.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a link to the animations? I did several searches but could find nothing but stills online, which is really strange as there are usually YouTube postings of personalities, mounts, etc., so one can see the full range before deciding on buying.