The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ZOS please consider restricting gold gear & monster helms from Icereach.

kiwi_tea
kiwi_tea
✭✭✭
I've run in Icereach for a few years now, and while I like the guildies I have and want to stay, the meta-game is a horrific mess. It favours veteran players with more time and resources than sense. I seldom join my guild nights without wondering why *anyone* enjoys playing U50s (and for me, it is 100% about the people in my U50s guilds, otherwise I wouldn't touch the campaign ever again in its present toxic state).

Players who regularly run in Icereach are encouraged, both by guilds, and by the regular solo players, to gold out their gear (particularly weapons). This is because of the powerful way gold gear scales in U50.

Newer players, stepping fresh into Icereach, find themselves faced with months of grind to keep up with vet players who are golding out gear sets to swap to every few levels. Compounding this is the fact that monster helm sets like Zoal's are, through extreme inaccessible grind in IC, available to players in U50.

The rare pleasure of U50s is helping brand new players learn the basics as they level up their first toon. The design of this campaign, at present, is organically hostile to newer players because it *severely* rewards veteran players. While there are proc sets that over-perform in U50s, like Plaguebreak, these really aren't a major issue compared with campaign's heavy skew towards seasoned players.

The two biggest things ZOS could do to liven up this campaign, and increase accessiblity, are:

[*]Restrict Icereach gear to no higher than blue (or possibly purple, but capping at blue would be more accessible for complete newbies, and match the gear drops from normal level dungeon farming).
[*]Ban all monster helms in Icereach. Currently some are inaccessible (the least grind-y ones), and it is completely arbitrary. The former restriction to blue would inherently ban all helms

This would allow newer players to compete in an environment where the main barrier to entry is really collecting sets, not months of grinding gold materials or money. It would still feature a proc-set meta that resembles a "lighter" version of the vet experience. It would bring the focal point of the campaign back to learning and perfecting basic mechanics. I have dyscalculia, so I unfortunately I am not in a position to do the maths on how capping at purple or blue might affect players positively or negatively.

Many of the players who currently dominate U50 would continue to do so, because they play well. However, they (and a minority of extremely toxic "twinkers") wouldn't have an insurmountable edge over anyone who hasn't played for a minimum of 10-12 months. It would make this campaign the kind of entry-point to PVP that the game currently lacks due to the punishing design aspects of U50 PVP.
Edited by kiwi_tea on January 13, 2023 3:24PM
  • kiwi_tea
    kiwi_tea
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: I should have mentioned in the post above that the requirement to recraft (or own) gear that fits your level band is the largest part of what creates this imbalance between experienced and in-experienced players. Some experienced players have full sets of gold gear for every four levels from 20-48 or so. When the meta shifts, they have the resources (ie, the money and gold upgrade mats) to shift with the meta quickly, while players a few months in are still chasing relevant dungeon sets for the first time.

I have no issue with people rerolling toons to play U50s. It has its own meta-game separate from the other campaigns, and it's a space where you can level up new characters for PVP (although U50 BGs is probably better for that). What I would like to see is the devs making adjustments to account for the fact that U50s is much more costly to play compared with the one-and-done set building we see in any other campaigns, to the point where the barrier to entry for U50s is, in reality, (very, very) significantly higher than for the veteran campaigns.
    Edited by kiwi_tea on January 13, 2023 4:05PM
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. It used to be a nice, chill place to try out new classes in a casual environment. I took my first baby steps in PVP there before moving on to the big leagues. But on the few occasions I've returned there, it seemed less balanced than Gray Host, which is an achievement of itself. Every time I returned, I saw more people just running unkillable builds, proc sets, the whole bunch.

Allowing to recreate gear from the Stickerbook at under 50 levels was a huge mistake, and the final nail in the coffin for this campaign and Under 50 PVP in general. The last time I went to Icereach, in the very first fight I saw someone running Plaguebreak and called it a day. I don't think I will ever go back as I would rather just grind out alliance skills for new chars in one of the 'big' servers.

It's part of a broader issue where ZOS does not seem to have a vision for these campaigns going forward, just letting them wither and die out instead of ensuring they fulfill their intended purpose. It's the same story with Ravenwatch and its completely random set of rules that are barely even communicated to new players.
    Edited by WaywardArgonian on July 15, 2023 6:09PM
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    This really saddens me because I've had the most fun in the baby pvp zone that is Icereach BECEAUSE the whole vibe there is so much more relaxed and encouraging. Having an equal change to win a fight against another player actually made me want to get into pvp. I like the suggestions of restricting gear to keep an even playing field. These days when I dabble in pvp i get killed within seconds without having time to react or my skills don't fire.

If I were Zos i would just disable all the gear and give every character a special buff that evens out the stats depending on your choosen attributes.
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • Woodenplank
    Woodenplank
    ✭✭✭✭
    FayJolyn wrote: »
    If I were Zos i would just disable all the gear and give every character a special buff that evens out the stats depending on your choosen attributes.

Works for Guild Wars, I guess...
    Although I fear that, since gear and set bonuses are such a big part of your build in this game, people who learn to PVP through this sort of campaign would be badly shocked when hitting 50, and being forced into e.g. Gray Host.
    I think it is central to ESO's well-being to critique the developers when they change the game (or fail to change something).
    But the negativity can be exhausting, so I vow to post 50/50 negativity and appreciation.
  • Beaverton
    Beaverton
    ✭✭✭
    I've played on and off in U50 for 5 years and I agree with the OP. Limit to blue gear and no monster sets. I would actually prefer only crafted sets but I understand that the sticker book does add a ton of variety to builds hence interest for people rerolling. Of course they could always use those in vet campaigns . . . .

On a side note, I golded out my weapons once I had the resources to do it about 4 years ago. I felt so bad about the results that I deconned them and haven't golded them out since.

Chook (fill in the blank) or Chookana (likewise): I learn more by dying so teach me some more!
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    AGREE WITH OP and the REST.

Please ZOS,
    YOU ARE ICEREACH ONLY HOPE !!!

You know that feeling of being kids again and actually enjoying playing the game?
    That's U50 PVP for me.
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
  • xWALK1NGxTNT420
    [snip]

These gold sets and monsters are needed to make a low lvl character and actually enjoy it.

but all bc you get killed by a lvl 30 and ur cp xxxx in no cp doesn't mean they need to CHANGE.

[snip]

These player have been doing this for years bc the CP wasn't what the game everyone wants..

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 12, 2024 11:06AM