The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

How to show off your house - screenshots and videos

Marcusorion1
Marcusorion1
✭✭✭✭
Hi all, was wondering if there was any information available describing how to post screenshots and videos of our player built houses. And if not conveniently in one place, perhaps I can collate some information here for others to use :) I am sure that there are other players that see houses posted here and would like to share their work but are unsure how to do so or ask a question but do not know how to post an image displaying their concern.

Some basic questions to start off and if we get the information shared by others, I can try and collate it in a list here. Or even just some direction to existing, currently useful guides. If someone or a group has posted current information somewhere else that would be useful too.

Some basic information others may find useful :

- is there a "better" free program to use for PC ( mac, console type ) and if editing is required/desired what are the options.
- how to make your screen display " clean " with no other overlay/HUD cluttering it up
- how to "walk" smoothly thru your property
- how about soundtrack ? things to consider concerning copyright etc
- how long is too long ?
- how to actually post a link to a video/screenshot, embed or whatever to share it with others.

And basically anything else you may think is important to create a useful and interesting screenshot/video so that we can see some more house designs shared here on the forums.

It would be nice for players to be able to share their designs and not put the majority of the effort on the few enthusiastic and much appreciated players that do the compilation/contest videos ( which are inspiring and just great ! ).

Any helpful suggestions ?

Edited by Marcusorion1 on January 12, 2023 3:32PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PlayStation

Screenshots

For PS5 users
    1)For PS5 users, download the PSApp on your phone.

2)Press the share button on your controller and save a screenshot

3)Go to the game library (4th button on the bottom) and view your captures

4)Click on the pic you want to share and save it to your phone

5)Upload it on the forums by clicking the image button on the forums and uploading it to the website. Alternatively, you can put it on an image hosting site like Imgur and share the link

For PS4 users
    1)download the PSApp on your phone.

2)Press the share button on your controller and save a screenshot

3)Send your pic in a message to a friend or alt account

4)Open the message on the PSApp by clicking on the button on the top left corner shaped like a speech bubble 💬

5)Save the pic to your phone

6)Upload it on the forums by clicking the image button on the forums and uploading it to the website. Alternatively, you can put it on an image hosting site like Imgur and share the link.

Videos

For both PS4 and PS5 users
    1) Do whatever it is you want to share e.g. walk around your house

2) Press the share button and save the video. You'll have to estimate how much video footage you need. It can save up to the last hour of footage

3) Open share factory and create a new project

4) Add your video clip

5) Edit the clip using whatever tools you like

6)Save and upload to YouTube

7)Share the link on the forums
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 12, 2023 3:52PM
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to know how to record myself walking around my homes on PC. Does anyone have an explanation of some kind?
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you want to turn off the HUD there is a screenshot mode (at least for PS) under Options->Video->Screenshot I think, not logged in right now to confirm.

EDIT: this is for screen snapshots only
    As for video length, I am happy watching 10 mins or so, if longer I start to get fidgety.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on January 13, 2023 5:35AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    ✭✭✭✭
    i use a PC, so here we go.

For screen shots, just hit the 'print screen' button on your keyboard. The image is sent to your ESO folder, under screenshots.

For video, there are a number of different things you can use, however free versions all have watermarks. So, if you don't want those, buy a video capture software.

i personally use something called Action! It also allows for screen shots and stuff, but i just use it for video. Pretty sure there is a trial version, but... watermarks. i've had it awhile. That being said, if i have it, it could not have been too expensive to buy. Make google your friend to find it and see if it is something you may like. There is also a program i USED to use called FRAPS.

Q: is there a "better" free program to use for PC ( mac, console type ) and if editing is required/desired what are the options.

i use Hitfilm Express. It's free, has a crap load of free features/effects and editing shinies and all that. Can be a bit of a learning curve, ok, quite a bit... but... FREE, and has a lot to offer. When i am feeling frisky to make something, i usually have youtube open and their forum to follow tuts and ask questions.

There is also something free called Windows Movie Maker. i find it crap, but in a pinch may help do the basic of what you need to do.

Q: - how to make your screen display " clean " with no other overlay/HUD cluttering it up
    There is an option to hide your UI in the controls in the game. Discussed here.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/150739/how-do-you-remove-the-ui-for-a-screen-shot

Q - how to "walk" smoothly thru your property

How smooth you can walk depends on your frame rate and no lag... but if that is all sorted, just hit the walk button. For me it's the '/' key on the number pad. Found under the controls menu in game, keybind to whatever you want.

Q: - how about soundtrack ? things to consider concerning copyright etc

Good luck. You can usually google free sound/music files and get some hits on things you can use. Or, you can use whatever songs you like and hope youtube doesn't mute it.

Also, there are a lot of very wonderful, lesser known artists on youtube who sing covers. Sometimes if you contact them, they are more than happy to give you permission to use their song for the free publicity. (And to be honest, sometimes the covers are much better than originals. ;) Plus, there have been times when a song was sung by a man, and i was featuring a woman in my music vid, so i was able to find a female cover and it was amazing.)

Q:- how long is too long ?
    That's kinda up to you, and what you want to show. If you have a lot to show, it's going to be long...

Q: - how to actually post a link to a video/screenshot, embed or whatever to share it with others.
    You have to upload a screen shot to a website. If you google, 'free image upload' you will find a number of them you can use. Youtube however, is the general thing to use to upload videos, far as i know.
    Edited by Thee_Cheshire_Cat on January 13, 2023 11:07PM
    Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Cheshire.
  • hizium
    hizium
    ✭✭✭
    i use a PC, so here we go.

For screen shots, just hit the 'print screen' button on your keyboard. The image is sent to your ESO folder, under screenshots.

For video, there are a number of different things you can use, however free versions all have watermarks. So, if you don't want those, buy a video capture software...

Really good answer. I'm starting to record some of my houses and didn't know a lot of the tools and tips you mentioned.
    I just wanna add, specially for @Marcusorion1, that there is a free screen capture software called OBS Studio that doesn't have any watermarks. It is a little confusing to use at first, but there are several tutorials on Google about how to use it.
    Edited by hizium on January 13, 2023 9:21PM
  • Marcusorion1
    Marcusorion1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome information so far ! Thanks so much to all who have contributed :)

Keep the advice, tips and tricks coming please, lots of useful knowledge to share and help build the housing community.

For win 10 and Win 11 users : has any one tried the free, built in game recorder called "x box game bar" ? It is probably already on your system just has to be turned on in settings.

Edited by Marcusorion1 on January 13, 2023 10:28PM
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    General video tip - mouse/keyboard movements are erratic, but controller analog sticks are smooth. Both for movement and camera control. So even if you're on PC it might be a good idea to hook up a controller for video tours.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My Windows 10 PC has some built in video recording software called Xbox Game Bar, which can be toggled on/off using WindowsKey + G, and is pretty easy to use. Or if you want to stream the game live, you can use the Discord app.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a preference but I prefer fast paced home videos where someone goes through relatively quickly rather than the slow paced walking and panning. If I want to see something in detail I can always pause it or go back but don't necessarily want to spend ages looking at one table for example, no matter how nicely presented it is.