Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ice comet vs shooting star on stam necro?

francesinhalover
francesinhalover
✭✭✭✭✭
what is better? does it only matter for trials? Should i use colossus on dungeons?
I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment, you always want to run Shooting Star on stationary boss fights, the ult-gen is great.

Anything with a boss moving more frequently, you can mix it up with a Colossus. Just be sure to tell your group when it’s about to go off so they can make use of the Major Vulnerability.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shooting Star for PvE
    Ice Comet for PvP
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elendir2am wrote: »
    Shooting Star for PvE
    Ice Comet for PvP

I disagree.
    Why would you say Ice Comet for PvP when the flame damage from shooting star means it does more damage to vampires than Ice Comet does, considering probably more than 50% of players are vamps? Plus dropping one on a tightly packed group can refund you back more than half the cost.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shooting Star for PvE
    Ice Comet for PvP

I disagree.
    Why would you say Ice Comet for PvP when the flame damage from shooting star means it does more damage to vampires than Ice Comet does, considering probably more than 50% of players are vamps? Plus dropping one on a tightly packed group can refund you back more than half the cost.

So why use ice comet?

I still dont get why shooting is better for pve. Bosses are usually solo
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only used Meteor in stationary fights, because I always found the AoE effect to be small and the visual effects do not give a good impression of where the AoE ends. Well, at least I have problems with seeing it. 🤪

The only good argument to make is that Major Vulnerability is a Debuff and so all the group members benefit. Meteor benefits only oneself.

My Stam Necro is fine with the Colossus, btw, but I am unsure wether to switch to Flawless Dawnbreaker for Solo.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shooting Star for PvE
    Ice Comet for PvP

I disagree.

So why use ice comet?

There is no good reason for PvP, with many players being vamps fire damage is a better choice. I don't PvE much but I'd guess there it would be dependent on the individual mechanics of the dungeon/trial. Many bosses call out waves of ads while fighting so shooting star would be better. But for an encounter where there are none or very few Ice comet might win out due to higher raw damage.
    Keep in mind I'm just comparing the two. It could very well be because of the small size of the AOE and how often bosses and players move around you'd just be better off using a different ulti altogether.
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice comet is nice for it's hit and stun in PvP, as well as pve. I personally prefer shooting star for the ulti gain on hit, the stun, the burst, and dot. This ulti is OP by balance standards, but is amazing in all content.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shooting Star for PvE
    Ice Comet for PvP

I disagree.

So why use ice comet?

You can always count on it hitting at least one enemy and returning 12 ult, so effectively it only costs 188 instead of 200. Pretty often there will be 1-2 adds around as well, dropping it to 176 or 164.

In group PVE you often have DK's with Engulfing which increases all fire damage by 6%. Add in encratis behemoth for another 5% and shooting star ends up doing just about the same damage per cast as ice comet, while being cast more frequently.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why use ice comet?

It's cheaper (always hit one target - 188 cost) and capable of being buffed by DKs or Encratis. It also helps with Burning uptime that usually adds 2-3k to dps to all classes (DKs are exception)
    But thats on paper. Nowadays people rarely use Inferno so Engulfing is not as DPS gain as it used to be. But the cost alone and Burning is enough to be more attractive than Ice Comet. Comet is capable ult in Warden's hands but its sadly outclassed by Northern Wind and Bear.