Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

beat Gutsripper at lv 10?

ReachDaBeach
I am wondering if I got there too soon. It took me a couple of tries with Doshia, but even failing it was obvious I was doing enough damage and if I could just take a little less while doing it I could win. I have also faced off with a number of other bosses (mini bosses?) in quests and either beat them the first time or had the similar experience of taking a couple of tries but seeing that winning was within reach when I died. But Gutsripper has killed me several times and I have barely done any damage.

I am playing as a High Elf Templar, lv 10. My main weapon is a lv 9 Prophet's Greatsword. When starting the fight, I hit Gutsripper with a couple of Javelin I throws, a Radial Sweep (Ultimate Ability), Puncturing Sweep and Sun Fire Morphed to Vampire's Bane I. That's game over for a lot of mini bosses before I even take a swing at them with the sword. The damage from all this barely registers on Gutsripper's health bar. Then when I start swinging the sword, i take massive damage and am pretty quickly running for my life. I have done a meal before and burned through all of my health potion without doing more than maybe 20% damage to Gutsripper before I died.

Do I need to go back at a higher level or is there some special strategy that I need to be using?
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This page on UESP [ https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Gutsripper ] details gutsripper's attacks. Notice the attacks are melee with physical damage and one of the attacks is marked by a red circle. Basically, you want to watch for the cues that the monster is going to attack and you want to avoid it. You will need to block or roll-dodge at the right times. The fight will be stamina intensive, so use tri-pots (health, stamina, and magicka regen) if you have them.
    Good luck! :)
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • ReachDaBeach
    Dojohoda wrote: »

Thanks for the link; that's a good resource. I was able to look up Doshia also. Looks like Gutsripper is only around 30% stronger. I would have guessed much more. Doshia took significantly more damage from the same opening sequence; enough that I could stand my ground with the greatsword and occasional special ability thrown in. If I see things trending my way, I will just take the damage and die slower. A red screen win is still a win. :D But I pretty quickly figured out that strategy is a non starter with Gutsripper. I do need to work on dodging. I think I will wait a level or two and see if I can get some gear for better regen to be able to use special abilities more.

• ReachDaBeach
    You will need to block or roll-dodge at the right times. The fight will be stamina intensive, so use tri-pots (health, stamina, and magicka regen) if you have them.
    I went back and won as lv 11 and now 12 after completion. Using a tri-pot instead of the near worthless health potions was a big part of it; not only did I recover but also seemed to start doing more damage. A lot more; I didn't need a second one. Is that a buff? I had thought they were just recovery. I also got a lv 11 greatsword dropped by a mob I had to defeat before going back to face Gutsripper again and equipped it.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You will need to block or roll-dodge at the right times. The fight will be stamina intensive, so use tri-pots (health, stamina, and magicka regen) if you have them.
    I went back and won as lv 11 and now 12 after completion. Using a tri-pot instead of the near worthless health potions was a big part of it; not only did I recover but also seemed to start doing more damage. A lot more; I didn't need a second one. Is that a buff? I had thought they were just recovery. I also got a lv 11 greatsword dropped by a mob I had to defeat before going back to face Gutsripper again and equipped it.

It depends on what the potion was, actually. You can restore health/stamina/weapon crit or increase weapon power (brutality) weapon critical lower physical resistance (fracture) or restore stamina increase weapon power (brutality) lower physical resistance (fracture). Alchemy does have its advantages.