The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PVP Cyrodiil Performance

Jabbs_Giggity
Jabbs_Giggity
✭✭✭✭✭
Xbox Series S/NA/GH for reference.

So.... I've had better experience playing Diablo 2 PVP in 2002 on AOL dialup than current state of ESO PVP.

Just saying... been PVPing in the center map since 2015 and it has just consistently gotten worse through all the false promises. Only time PVP is good is when they rent additional server performance for midyear mayhem from PVE.
  • Dirt_Rooster
    Dirt_Rooster
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, the biweekly thread about cyrodiil performance has not resulted in any improvement. I wouldn't expect any change in the future.
  • jerj6925
    jerj6925
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVP in the game is like hooking up a 5th wheel to a 1980 pinto with only 3 cylinders working and tying to get some place... you just wonder why am I even trying anymore.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully you all know about the server replacements (hopefully in the 1st half of 2023). While I agree that this should have been done years ago this seems to be a case of better late than never. As far as the "recode" goes, all I've seen is a comment from the studio director that they plan to do minor tweaks starting later in 2023. There is no detail about what they plan to fix or how long it will take. It's clear that they lied to us in their early 2022 post where they said they will recode the game (or at least PVP) throughout 2022 and implied it might be ready by late 2022 or early 2023. We all have a right to be pissed about being constantly lied to. I believe we were lied to for a few years about them improving PVP performance. There are posts going back many years where they may have not made specific promises, but did say they were working on it and implied many times that the work would take a few to several months. Here we are 5-years later and unless they make major progress with a recode this year I think the best we can hope for is that the new server hardware will improve things a little bit. Maybe if enough players leave or at least stop paying for crowns and ESO+ they will wake up. They are clearly run by the bean-counters and not by anyone that actually cares about the game.
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had an encounter at Glademist on Xbox NA-server 15 minutes ago and the amount of CURSES, not cursing, that I put on people were neverending. There are no words in the vocabulary to describe just how worthless and broken PvP is in this game. How do Xbox players endure this day after day? I returned to Xbox from PC to play with friends from old, and I regret every second of it.

ZOS has had YEARS to fix this [snip] I'm just furious that I've subscribed for 12 months and not being able to get the money back for a non-functioning game. This is completely unacceptable!

[Edited for Bashing]
    Edited by Psiion on January 6, 2023 3:24AM
  • Steel_Heart777
    Steel_Heart777
    ✭✭✭
    Quackery wrote: »
    Had an encounter at Glademist on Xbox NA-server 15 minutes ago and the amount of CURSES, not cursing, that I put on people were neverending. There are no words in the vocabulary to describe just how worthless and broken PvP is in this game. How do Xbox players endure this day after day? I returned to Xbox from PC to play with friends from old, and I regret every second of it.

ZOS has had YEARS to fix this [snip] I'm just furious that I've subscribed for 12 months and not being able to get the money back for a non-functioning game. This is completely unacceptable!

[Edited for Bashing]

Yeah I fully agree but I'm on PS5. I haven't bothered to go to Cyrodiil (what I mainly want to do) in months. There's literally no point when my character just seizures whenever I try to use a skill. Frame rate is better than PS4, sure, but this essentially just means I get a clearer and prettier view of my non-functional character seizuring, not responding and ultimately dying. Absolutely horrendous performance which is not present even slightly in any other game on the platform. The "server upgrades" that are supposedly coming this year are literally mine (and many others) last hope. If that doesn't make it playable, that's a wrap on 8+ years of progress for nothing.
    • PS5 NA - EP Since Launch
    • CP 2400+
    • 2nd Ever EP Grand Overlord PS4 NA - Spartan Ze - Stamblade AR50
    • PactBerserkr - Stamden AR50
    • Lord Bigdaddysmash - Stamcro AR50
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quackery wrote: »

[Edited for Bashing]

Yeah I fully agree but I'm on PS5. I haven't bothered to go to Cyrodiil (what I mainly want to do) in months. There's literally no point when my character just seizures whenever I try to use a skill. Frame rate is better than PS4, sure, but this essentially just means I get a clearer and prettier view of my non-functional character seizuring, not responding and ultimately dying. Absolutely horrendous performance which is not present even slightly in any other game on the platform. The "server upgrades" that are supposedly coming this year are literally mine (and many others) last hope. If that doesn't make it playable, that's a wrap on 8+ years of progress for nothing.

I can tell you from my experience of PC NA-server that it'll help immensely. It just sucks that it's taking so long to get the upgrade.
    Edited by Quackery on January 8, 2023 12:49PM
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will help for a time, then as now, the performance is nearly as bad as before the updates.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    It will help for a time, then as now, the performance is nearly as bad as before the updates.

Not for me, the only time it lags is when hammer is up and you have server vs server.
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely getting worse for me again.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to recode NPCs in Cyro, I can be in an empty campaign and fight a player in a field just fine but if I go to a resource and try to tap Brawler on some guards the hamster wheel grinds to a halt
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was awful last night. I lasted about 2 hours before I finally hit a bluescreen and gave up because the queue for GH was in the mid 50's, lol. Skills just not going off no matter how many times you tried to cast them, if they did go off they were massively delayed and there was some odd constant snare that kept hitting us and would last for a few seconds before it'd go away and hit us again, lol
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blackreach has been getting a lot busier lately. I know for a fact that it is Greyhost players coming over to play. They are sick of the awful performance in GH and hoping to actually be able to play the game in BR. Once the BR server gets to half-capacity or more it slows down as well and the play ends up feeling like GH. I sure hope the hardware update in a few months (if it actually happens) fixes things. Especially since they apparently did not do the work on the recode that they promised in January of last year. I'm incredibly mad at ZOS for constantly lying to their customers.
    Edited by malistorr on January 10, 2023 8:02PM
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    Blackreach has been getting a lot busier lately. I know for a fact that it is Greyhost players coming over to play. They are sick of the awful performance in GH and hoping to actually be able to play the game in BR. once the BR server gets to half-capacity or more it slows down as well and the play ends up feeling like GH. I sure hope the hardware update in a few months (if it actually happens) fixes things. Especially since they apparently did not do the work on the recode that they promised in January of last year. I'm incredibly mad at ZOS for constantly lying to their customers.

The server upgrade on PC NA only helped for about 5-6 months before it started degrading, and with the launch of U36 it genuinely is almost back at where it was pre-upgrade. GH becomes unplayable during prime time every night with multiple second ability delays, inconsistent framerates, and crashing around large scale fights.

Blackreach lags significantly too, if it fills.

It is just so frustrating to have experienced the game as lag free for the first time in it's entire life, only to have it go back to being totally broken after a short 6 months. I do not understand how zenimax thinks it is acceptable to not even drop one comment acknowledging that the performance has degraded again, as they are simply misleading players on the other platforms into believing that the hardware upgrade will save them in 2023. It will not.

Regardless of what happens in the future, the history of this game will be remembered as one of the greatest development failures within the MMO genre. A true gem of a combat system and a wonderful PVP experience completely ruined by developers that simply are unable to fix it, or do not care to.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I blame upper management. If they will not throw the financial resources and enough staff and hardware into fixing the problem it will not get fixed. Developers do what their managers tell them to do. The Developers management does what the upper management of ZOS tells them to do.
    Edited by malistorr on January 10, 2023 8:04PM