The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Housing Idea: Character Slots

Stefirex
Stefirex
✭✭✭
Wouldn't it be neat if you could park your alts in some of your houses like guests, so you could see your other personae in game?
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on December 27, 2022 2:33PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. But it's not likely to happen.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • evymyu233
    evymyu233
    ✭✭✭✭
    o:) agree
  • Stefirex
    Stefirex
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

This one can dream of putting alts to bed in the beds or sitting them down for dinner and drinks....
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would freak me out to see my alterego in front of me.
    PCNA
  • Stefirex
    Stefirex
    ✭✭✭

How exactly would it be "Freaky" when you'd have to place them in the house for them to be there? I consider half of my alts to be related to one another in some fashion so it would simply be like a family reunion....
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh, that wouldn't be an issue for me. All my characters have these intricate backstories, some of which encompass a Pact dunmer interacting with a Covenant redguard - discovering they have so much in common they choose to go "off into the sunset" togetether to make a home and open it up to anyone who is SO TIRED of the stupid war....

I actually did that in RIFT - one of my characters made a home space where those she'd fought were welcome - because they all found an artificial war totally stupid.....
    Edited by TaSheen on December 27, 2022 3:36AM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stefirex wrote: »
    I consider half of my alts to be related to one another in some fashion so it would simply be like a family reunion....

I have a friend who makes backgrounds for their characters like this haha she's even decorated houses as if two of them live together like roomies so I know she'd love a feature like this.... but sadly I cannot see such a thing happening. It'd be cool, but seems very unlikely. I mean, we don't even have wayshrines in our homes yet or some sort of farming feature haha so I can't imagine them being able to give us custom NPCs.... at least not any time soon. And considering she already quit the game because of U35, I'd say it's even somewhat too late haha
    Edited by fizzylu on December 27, 2022 4:18AM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to be able to place my alts in houses as Houseguests. I don't even care if they just end up with the standard non-interacatble NPC grunts instead of dialogue - I just want to be able for my characters to get pictures with each other.

I also really want to see my short Orc standing next to the giant Nord. I have this mental image of Ragnar using Gar as an armrest.

Regarding the idea of making each character their own house? Yes, I totally would like to do that... eventually. Once I scrape up the will to decorate houses...
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    I consider half of my alts to be related to one another in some fashion so it would simply be like a family reunion....

I have a friend who makes backgrounds for their characters like this haha she's even decorated houses as if two of them live together like roomies so I know she'd love a feature like this.... but sadly I cannot see such a thing happening. It'd be cool, but seems very unlikely. I mean, we don't even have wayshrines in our homes yet or some sort of farming feature haha so I can't imagine them being able to give us custom NPCs.... at least not any time soon.

Yeah. The housing in RIFT was SO much better than here.... It was very easy to make the home one envisioned - and aside from the initial "buy the home place" cost - there wasn't any real "production of house to fit" cost at all - in fact there was an addon which allowed one to copy any thing in the game world to use in one's own houses. Unlike here....

I really miss my RIFT housing. I'm seriously unhappy (to this day, YEARS after I quit playing the game) that no one else seems to have RIFT's level of housing processes available . ESO housing..... Um. Well. It's just not optimal in ANY way.

In RIFT, I made a home for Westerly at Moonshade Highlands. And then, I made a home for Veilsong at Moonshade Pools. They.... chose to believe they had been - manipulated - when it came to politics. They lived there together, with Westerly growing exotic houseplants for sale, and Veil trying to keep from going over the edge with drink when the things she'd done to the "other side" got to her.

Housing in RIFT was.... wonderful. I truly wish what I had there was available here. *SIGH*

[Edit for dopey typos]
    Edited by TaSheen on December 27, 2022 2:16PM

• fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TaSheen yeah, I agree. I do enjoy ESO housing to some extent. I really like how the housing has some form of legitimate use like storage, crafting, and even bankers/merchants. I also like displaying achievement furnishings and etc.... but it's just missing a lot and feels very limiting at the same time.
    I will say, I do think it's better than some other games I play. Like I actually hate FFXIV housing despite players in that game acting like it's the best thing ever haha and then New World housing I at least really enjoy the aesthetic of; having little homes in little towns with porches and backyards haha they have some really cool furnishing items as well in comparison to FFXIV and New World.... but really there's no point to decorating your house other than to do it because you like it since there's really no major functional use for it.
    I'm hoping one of the new MMOs that are being hyped up a lot will have a really nice housing system haha but I haven't heard anything about that yet so sadly who knows.
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be more than neat, and doesn't seem all that difficult to implement since houseguests already exist. It could just copy the character's appearance and outfit onto a "doll" like it does when you use an appearance change token, and then give that doll generic voicelines from the character's voice type. There would likely be more to it but it doesn't seem all that far removed from the existing houseguest system. So maybe someday it will be a reality, I would certainly take advantage of such a system.
    PC EU
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally would love and be all for such a feature. All of my houses that I have started to build up are done so based around which character 'lives' there and their stories, so being able to actually have them walking around in them, and any other houses I choose, would be amazing. Bonus points too if there was some sort of interactivity with them too, such as looking at their inventory and gear and being able to take and add to them without having to swap, maybe a way to quick change to them as well, though I suspect these to be harder things to implement, so Id just be more then happy with having my Alts silently walking around their homes
  • Zerodeeps
    Zerodeeps
    ✭✭
    If you were on that alt and saw yourself tucked into bed, would it break the space-time continuum?

Would still love to have this feature…
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My characters each have their own home. I would certainly like for the other characters to see them at home when they visit, even if they are asleep.

Practically this requires the game to track where each character is, which it does anyway. When I log in one in, I find them just where I logged out, with a few exceptions, like other players’s homes. Running into the same character is not going to happen. Making a bed a requirement for “parking” a character would not add a lot of coding effort. One lying down animation and designating a specific bed. One home-owner only.

Should other players find them home asleep? That probably would just fall out as a side-effect. The same lack of interaction would make sense, too.

• ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings!

We've moved this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, Housing.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on December 27, 2022 2:33PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It can definitely happen and it's probably not too difficult to do.

Problem is we don't have enough slots. There are too many house guests as it is for the slots we have.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already do this as part of my whole RP headcanon around all my characters.
    My main and most of my alts all share the same home (HotLC), each has their own bed, some are in relationships, others single, etc.
    Some have branched out to build separate homes once they reach CP, but for the most part the "young ones" all share a roof until they've learned to control their powers and abilities.

So yeah, I think it would be very cool if ZOS implemented our alts as placeable "houseguests" or something.
    Just not sure if they would feel weird or robotic without the personality\brain (Me) driving them since we can only play one at a time.
    Also wonder how limited they would be. I have several different outfits for every character, which ones would the alts be wearing? Or just some default garb like companions. Could we set them on paths? Would they have idles they used, etc
    It's a cool idea certainly.

Personally before they'd do anything like this I'd love for ZOS to increase the housing item numbers, even just 50 slots. I've got knickknacks that need placing dangit! :D
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could just have like 4-6 alts chilling at a table in my house. It could even come at the expense of guest slots for actual players, if there has to be some limit to renderings within the instance.

I can see a renewed interest in housing if you could create scenes with your characters.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could just have like 4-6 alts chilling at a table in my house. It could even come at the expense of guest slots for actual players, if there has to be some limit to renderings within the instance.

I can see a renewed interest in housing if you could create scenes with your characters.

Yes, that sort of thing would be AWESOME!

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is we don't have enough slots. There are too many house guests as it is for the slots we have.

We can't even have character achievments and you people think we could have our alts as houseguests? Yeah, no. Not easy at all and very data demanding.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We can't even have character achievments and you people think we could have our alts as houseguests? Yeah, no. Not easy at all and very data demanding.

Unfortunate but most likely true.

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amig186 wrote: »
    It would be more than neat, and doesn't seem all that difficult to implement since houseguests already exist. It could just copy the character's appearance and outfit onto a "doll" like it does when you use an appearance change token, and then give that doll generic voicelines from the character's voice type. There would likely be more to it but it doesn't seem all that far removed from the existing houseguest system. So maybe someday it will be a reality, I would certainly take advantage of such a system.

I would love that, except the voice lines, unless we got to select among various options, but probably better without.

I would really love to be able to assign emotes, not only if alts as houseguests ever became a possibility, but to the houseguests we do have!
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭
    damn, that could be pretty cool actually
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How exactly would it be "Freaky" when you'd have to place them in the house for them to be there? I consider half of my alts to be related to one another in some fashion so it would simply be like a family reunion....

I never said it was freaky or that they would appear in my house without me putting them there. What I said was it would freak me out seeing my alterego in front of me. Because of that I would never use the feature.
    PCNA
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would it be so data demanding if the server already has to store all player characters' appearances? This is all just my assumption, of course, but it seems like calling for data that is already stored should be less demanding than keeping additional information per character.

Edited by amig186 on December 28, 2022 7:38AM
    PC EU